Interesting Kprobe/LH-20A1S-related problem in Vista

vbimport

Hope this is an ok forum to post this topic.

I have installed the LH-20A1S on a new PC running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Everything’s been fine. The Smartburn and LiteOn Booktype utilities ran fine. Then I made the mistake of installing Kprobe. Either Vista doesn’t like that program at all or my install screwed something up because Kprobe would not launch. After ending that stalled process, Vista would not launch any other application until I rebooted. Now, Smartburn and Booktype will not launch either.

The burner itself is working fine. I can still run DVD Decrypter, Nero, DVD Shrink, Ripit4me, etc. just fine. I have even updated to the latest 9L05 firmware without incident. However, Smartburn, Booktype and Kprobe are hosed. I have even deleted the original .exe files and downloaded them again thinking they might be corrupted somehow.

I can’t figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there some common file connection these three programs? None of them will launch and once I end the process, it essentially crashes the windows environment. I uninstalled Kprobe and removed any instances of it from my registry. That still did not restore functionality to Smartburn or the Booktype utility. Strangely, I am able to set booktype and enable Smartburn through the Imgburn program.

I’m kind of at a loss here. Any help would be very much appreciated. :eek:

KProbe installs Adaptec’s ASPI layer on your PC. You may remove it with killaspi (in the ForceASPI download: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614 )

Thank you for the feedback, but I’m not quite sure I am following. Both of the optical drives on my machine are detected and work fine. It’s just the software that’s been a problem – getting it to launch primarily. Everything was perfect prior to attempting to launch Kprobe. Is it because Kprobe installs an Adaptec ASPI layer? I have no Adaptec software on this machine and both optical drives are SATA.

Hi,

the problem is, as already stated by Cressida, that adaptec’s ASPI drivers are installed. I doubt, that Vista likes that, as these are really old and useless on NT based Windows versions.
You’ll have to get rid of them, but Killaspi isn’t enough, as there are some remainders in the registry left.

Michael

Actually, KProbe2 [B]installs [/B]ForceAspi. Look in your windows directory and you’ll see the corresponding subdirectory. No need to download it separately.

As mciahel said, though, it doesn’t clean the registry.

G

Yeah, all I know is that I keep it off my systems. Haven’t used it in years. :slight_smile:

This regcleaner (freeware) will take care of remainders. :wink:
This beauty by Jouni Vuoro might be old but is still one of the best registry tools.

[I]Edit.[/I]

I always use KProbe. :bigsmile: Runs without problems on my burning box with Vista Home Premium. :smiley:

I appreciate the replies. I will perform a search to see what ASPI files are on there and try to remove anything that appears to be causing a problem.

I always use KProbe. Runs without problems on my burning box with Vista Home Premium.

Interesting… then it must not be some Vista-specific problem then. There must be some other issue going on here. Right now, Smartburn and the Booktype utility are the only things that won’t launch after installing and removing Kprobe. There must be some shared file or process between the applications that is causing them to crash at launch. The ASPI layer idea sounds possible, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to check it and find out.

Hi,

I wouldn’t run that on a Vista box. Really not.

Michael

Well, maybe [B]pinto2[/B] is using KProbe without installing the ASPI. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t planned on installing that particular regcleaner. There are others out there which should be more compliant with Vista. As I am finding out, you have to be pretty careful with what you install on Vista.

I was run in teh same problem: Some tools, smartburn f.e., won’t work after i had kprobe installed. Vista can’t stop or kill smartburn.exe. And, won’t shutdown anymore. Here ist the solution:

Remove in registry the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32 an then remove wnaspi.dll from …\system and wnaspi32.dll from \system32. Additionally, you may remove aspi32.sys from \system32\drivers. Reboot now.

-Zahni

Remove in registry the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32 an then remove wnaspi.dll from …\system and wnaspi32.dll from \system32. Additionally, you may remove aspi32.sys from \system32\drivers. Reboot now.

Thanks, Zahni. I will take a (very careful) look at that and see if it works.