Intel's upcoming Haswell CPUs to use 41% less energy - and perform better

vbimport

Intel’s upcoming Haswell CPUs to use 41% less energy - and perform better.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/09/JNfU1k.png[/newsimage] After Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, CPU's based on its new Hasswell architecture should be the new success for Intel.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intels-upcoming-haswell-cpus-to-use-41-less-energy-and-perform-better-63606/](http://www.myce.com/news/intels-upcoming-haswell-cpus-to-use-41-less-energy-and-perform-better-63606/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m hoping it will make Win8 50% faster.

Haswell will need a new motherboard and chipset as it is to use LGA1150 rather than the current LGA1155.

Haswell sounds great, but as already mentioned will require a new motherboard with the 8 series chipset (codenamed Lynx Point).

Lynx Point is said to have 6 native SATA 6Gbps ports, and 6 native USB3 ports. If the 8 series chipset does have these features, I may well be very tempted to update when Haswell arrives.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2653591]I’m hoping it will make Win8 50% faster.[/QUOTE]You need Norton Antivirus for that mate.

[QUOTE=Dee;2653620]Haswell sounds great, but as already mentioned will require a new motherboard with the 8 series chipset (codenamed Lynx Point).

Lynx Point is said to have 6 native SATA 6Gbps ports, and 6 native USB3 ports. If the 8 series chipset does have these features, I may well be very tempted to update when Haswell arrives.[/QUOTE]
I am foaming at the mouth already ( 6 native Intel SATA ports, my dream come true).:iagree:

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2653635]You need Norton Antivirus for that mate.[/QUOTE]
NO! No way!! Say it ain’t true!!

Surely Intel could pay to have its report claiming to create a 50% faster Win8, too - right?!!

So… 50% faster with Norton AV… then take another 50% off (the remaining) with Haswell… so now Win8’s at least 75% faster overall.

A few more 50%-Faster pay-offs and Win8 will be nearing Infinity, right?

The extra speed will in part come from Haswell supporting AVX2. Of course applications will also need to support AVX2 to take advantage of the extra performance.

It also looks like the Lynx Point chipset will this time see a die shrink. The current 7 series are built on 65nm technology, but it looks like Lynx Point may be 32nm, or even smaller.

[QUOTE=Dee;2653620]Haswell sounds great, but as already mentioned will require a new motherboard with the 8 series chipset (codenamed Lynx Point).

Lynx Point is said to have 6 native SATA 6Gbps ports, and 6 native USB3 ports. If the 8 series chipset does have these features, I may well be very tempted to update when Haswell arrives.[/QUOTE]

You planning on having more than 2 SSD’S installed simultaneously? My Z77 board only has 2 Intel SATA3 ports and that’s enough for me. I don’t even need to resort to using any of the 4 Marvell SATA3 ports. The same is true for USB3 ports.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2653591]I’m hoping it will make Win8 50% faster.[/QUOTE]

You could always try the latest version of Tuneup Utilities or some other awesome registry cleaner :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2653878]You planning on having more than 2 SSD’S installed simultaneously? My Z77 board only has 2 Intel SATA3 ports and that’s enough for me. I don’t even need to resort to using any of the 4 Marvell SATA3 ports. The same is true for USB3 ports.[/QUOTE]I already have 5 in my Z77 build, one of them a PCIe SSD.
I have 2 of the SATA SSDs on the AsMedia SATA3, which is a lot better than the Marvell controller but is still a good deal slower than the two Intel SATA3 ports.

Having 6 Intel SATA3 ports would be great. :slight_smile:

A few issues… as the chips get “SMALLER” and consume less power, the overclocking capability shrinks. A larger segment of the Intel lineup is becoming less “enthusiast” (the people with the CA$H) friendly… which is not good for those early adopters…

Next, Intel chips in tablets ONLY makes sense if they keep the prices down… nobody wants a $1k mobile chip in a tablet costing $1800… Only Apple would be stupid enough to try and make one…

Another problem is the PC biz is in a downturn… not a good time to release new chips unless they are planning a 50% price cut for Sandybridge lineup HIGHLY UNLIKELY– that would of course BURN alot of adopters who paid $200, $300, $500 for their recent CPUs. I’m sick and tired of new chips having to have new chipsets & boards… how about a flashable chipset for pete’s sake!!! Charge $25 more and be able to enable new CPU & conversion compatability should Intel play cute and make a 1150 socket so that Z77’s can run the new chips. I know there is at least one converter that can put 1156 chips in an 1155 board.

Still not a peep from the hard drive industry? No HAMR drives, no drives above 4tb either…

Just about the only innovations pegged for the end of the year are cheaper blu ray drives and cheaper flash / SSD drives. FYI, I’d rather buy new LED lightbulbs than Intel’s new fancy (and likely expensive) chips to save energy. I’d save more money that way.

Hmm, Haswell supporting 6 SATA IIIs natively. Good gosh, I feel like I just wasted a boat load of cash building my new rig with a Z77 board and a i7-3770K. I only have two measly SATA III ports (one eaten up by my OS SSD). My other four SATA II ports are all in use (one for the hot-swap bay, 2 for HDDs, one for burner). Wonder if they’ll include 6 SATA II ports too? (Asking too much?)

Personally, I am not looking at Intel for any mobile chip or chipset. My eyes are fasted upon AMD, nVidia (as costly as products with Tegra are), and ARM-based solutions (which dominate the market).

@ tmc8080,

There are 4TB drives out there. They are platter based and primarily enterprise grade HDDs (rather than consumer models) so they are very costly. Honestly, I’d rather SSDs come down in price drastically to the point where the price per GB is roughly equivalent to pre-flood HDD prices. Then I’d get 2-3 2TB SSDs and replace the HDDs I’m using for media and file storage.

Yes there are a few consumer-ish 4TB drives. Newegg actually carries a few: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603+600361769+600217643&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=14&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

The cheaper z77 boards only have 2 sata3 ports, but you can usually add on more with a pcie card plenty of slots on most z77 board w/ enough throughput-- but we can assume you made your choice of mobo b/c it met your needs & not b/c it was cheap.

I was also hinting at innovation beyond 4tb… of course there are 4tb drives, and the prices are still crazy compared to drives less than 4tb… as if there’s a “reset” or re-introduction at the original MSRP prices and not a restoration of preflood street prices even though 4tb drives were on the market almost 6 months prior to the flood.

Yes, I did end up going with the LK for the price feature set and price. I do wish it had 4 x SATA IIIs at least, but from what I could find, I needed to spend another $100 ($200) just to get a board with that many ports. I couldn’t justify that much more money especially given my hard limit of $2000 total for the entire build. I’ll probably regret it a couple of years from now.

Honestly I spent $170 on my last board for my Q9550 and at the time it was the 3rd top tier board offered by ASUS using the P45 chipset. Had a great amount of SATA ports (6) and I ended up using every one of them (minus the useless, to me, 2 SATA ports that were for RAID 0 only).

That’s the thing about HDD prices, I think manufacturers see a potential extra profit to be made by keeping prices significantly higher than pre-flood pricing (my 1.5 TB WD Green was $60 pre-flood, it’s now $90 on average). I do wonder if they are still using the flood as an excuse to keep prices inflated…assuming they do not have anymore supply and manufacturing issues because of the flooding days. The fact that HGST has kept with this new pricing model says a lot (yes they are owned by WD now, but Hitachi was not affected by the floods).

Innovation beyond 4 TB, I’m not sure that’s really possible. We’ve known for a while now that the density of these disks have pretty much hit a limit and the use of perpendicular recording technology was probably the last big step forward to even higher densities. I do wish with the higher densities, reliability could be improved, but that doesn’t seem to be a high priority for platter drives anymore. I’ve had too many fail within a short period recently that I’ve looked at archiving my data onto BR media and waiting for SSD pricing to come down drastically as well as densities to rise.

[QUOTE=Dee;2653889]I already have 5 in my Z77 build, one of them a PCIe SSD.
I have 2 of the SATA SSDs on the AsMedia SATA3, which is a lot better than the Marvell controller but is still a good deal slower than the two Intel SATA3 ports.

Having 6 Intel SATA3 ports would be great. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, being an SSD reviewer it would make sense for you to require more SATA3 ports. Most people won’t have more than 2 SSD’s installed at this point in time. I do agree that it would be good to have more Intel SATA3 ports for the future though.
Regarding the ASMedia and Marvell SATA3 controllers, how much slower are they compared to Intel? More than 5%? I’ve never done tests but I’m sure you would have :slight_smile:

Intel gets 560 MB/s
AsMedia gets 440 MB/s
Marvell gets 370 MB/s

All with the same SSD.