Intelligence over violence; idiots and fanatics are everywhere, but are they equally distributed?

vbimport

I do not believe that a race or a nation is created to be less equal or less intelligent than another race or another nation. Humans are only humans. We eat. We are taught. We think. The fact that you are a son of the most powerful country in the human history does not necessarily make you right or correct. I have very often seen people born in the poorest and least developed countries but are very intelligent and competent, and also people born in the richest and most developed countries but are nothing more than idiots, though in human forms with human rights and human weights. Intelligence must be distributed largely equally on this planet.

South Korea is in war as some of you must know already. Here are some links:

http://rokdrop.com/

http://www.feer.com/international-relations/2008/june/Seouls-Mad-Cow-Fiasco

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062600252.html

http://www.econlib.org/library/Mackay/macExtoc.html

Politics and sometimes even daily civilian lives could be very sensitive and violent because of the existence of North Korea. Too many were killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War and too many were died of famine during the 1990s in North Korea. Some labor union members in South Korea kill themselves in public places as if they were the objects of some solemn rituals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/23/AR2008062302135.html [Al-Qaeda’s Growing Online Offensive]

Not only Al-Qaeda. South Korea is one of the most heavily-wired places on Earth. Per capita cost is very low considering the usual bandwidth is 10Mps to 100Mbps and with no daily or monthly limit. You can actually download and upload at once at 100Mbps speed 24 hours x 365 days and pay only about US$300 annually though you’ll also have to add a 1TB SATA or USB HDD everyday and regroup everything often. Since most people, and MOST young people can stay online and post some things including lots of video and audio files, it is a very ideal environment to experiment DIGITAL PARTICIPATORY DEMOCRACY. Participatory government was often the term used by the former regime lead by Roh Mu-Hyun, the most anti-American president in South Korea.

Alexis Tocqueville who wrote Democracy in America in the 19th century was ignorant in that he couldn’t predict the future of science and technologies and how they will affect the future of the lives and politics of humans, but he still could leave a good warning about idiots and fanatics that try to decide the destiny of people with intelligence and good will.

Seriously, young students in South Korea like to think North Korea can win in a war with the US and Japan. They cannot prove how, but they can still enjoy comic books and movies that are more based on ancient myths and deliberately distorted history books than military statistics or economic realities. Imagine what the leader of such people can do in this 21st century armed with the best internet infrastructure. It is savage how ordinary mothers of 10-year-old school boys and girls cry, and I mean they actually cry, saying, “I don’t want US beef imported because I don’t want my children to die.” Somehow, their image of any US beef has been turned into something out of Andromeda Strain.

I don’t know why idiots are everywhere, and I know I have to respect even the rights of idiots, but idiots exercising violence are too dangerous and disgusting. I’ve been considering to join some activist groups helping the police, not the enemies. I mean, on the downtown Seoul streets.

The above are related to politics, but intelligent members will be able to add posts that are sane, constructive, even intellectually insightful.

Some of my friends in Seoul and other cities are toying with SopCast. Seems great, the video and audio are played all over the world, but better on WiBro, not the conventional 802.11a/b/g/n wireless. SopCast will be used to broadcast our protest against the protesters. This is all because we allowed North Korea to have nuclear arms.

So…what does all this mean Ken?

“Seriously, young students in South Korea like to think North Korea can win in a war with the US and Japan. They cannot prove how, but they can still enjoy comic books and movies that are more based on ancient myths and deliberately distorted history books than military statistics or economic realities. Imagine what the leader of such people can do in this 21st century armed with the best internet infrastructure. It is savage how ordinary mothers of 10-year-old school boys and girls cry, and I mean they actually cry, saying, “I don’t want US beef imported because I don’t want my children to die.” Somehow, their image of any US beef has been turned into something out of Andromeda Strain.”

That’s scary, I thank you for posting this. It’s important to know that there are sane people just as important to remember that their are “idiots”. I don’t think we have to respect the rights of idiots except maybe to listen to them. Anyone who endangers your freedom and well being is dangerous and does not deserve your respect. Just as out illustrious leader here in America does not represent the will of all Americans I hope that in all countries the “sanity of the masses” will prevail. If not, we are all screwed, idiots included.

[QUOTE=Bob;2084115]So…what does all this mean Ken?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but do you expect me to predict the future? Nothing much, just that there are going to be a lot of more troubles.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2084119]Sorry, but do you expect me to predict the future? Nothing much, just that there are going to be a lot of more troubles.[/QUOTE]Things are bad all over Ken.

The title’s rather abstract for this thread because nearly everyone in South Korea seems preferreing violence and “we will win, you will go to hell” attitude. I wanted to suggest it’s best to use knowledge, ie. intelligence, in fighting dictators and terrorists. I meant it for a Korean-language board at first but the site had a technical problem, so just used it for here.

[QUOTE=Bob;2084125]Things are bad all over Ken.[/QUOTE]

I guess that’s the point. Ahh the days of “detente”, when all we worried about was total nuclear annihilation . Now, somebody might just blow off a few bombs and we all die a lingering death.:frowning:

[QUOTE=Bob;2084125]Things are bad all over Ken.[/QUOTE]

Trying to say like a Taoist? The only thing to learn from Taoism is not to go extreme.

There are troubles, yes, but it’s not the end of the world, or South Korea. Samsung and LG will continue to grow. More students will spend more years overseas. Beef prices will fall.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2084138]I guess that’s the point. Ahh the days of “detente”, when all we worried about was total nuclear annihilation . Now, somebody might just blow off a few bombs and we all die a lingering death.:([/QUOTE]

I don’t think the past was better, but it is still dangerous to let even North Korea have nuclear power.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2084139]Trying to say like a Taoist? The only thing to learn from Taoism is not to go extreme.

There are troubles, yes, but it’s not the end of the world, or South Korea. Samsung and LG will continue to grow. More students will spend more years overseas. Beef prices will fall.[/QUOTE]ahhh i think i got your meaning now:

Ken you only mention the kids are crying no more USA beef and not how many of my relatives that died to help your relatives so Samsung and LG can grow. Seems in your speel it’s all about S.Korea.

Electronics products are like jobs…if you can’t make them someone else will.

What do you want USA back to help S.Korea again without our beef?

Can you give a shorter version of what your first post means please?

Yes things are tough all over…

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2084142]I don’t think the past was better, but it is still dangerous to let even North Korea have nuclear power.[/QUOTE]

Whether the past was better or not is irrelevant as you can’t go back anyway. I agree with you. I, being in the U.S. am ignorant of what is really going on in South Korea. As Bob said, so many Americans died there. I don’t think you post is ant-American at all. I believe it may be pro-American, or at least sympathetic. If I lived in a country that had 10,000 Howitzers pointed at me and knew they could reach half way across my country I would not sleep lightly. The havoc North Korea could wreak on South Korea using conventional weapons is scary enough.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2084168]Whether the past was better or not is irrelevant as you can’t go back anyway. I agree with you. I, being in the U.S. am ignorant of what is really going on in South Korea. As Bob said, so many Americans died there. I don’t think you post is ant-American at all. I believe it may be pro-American, or at least sympathetic. If I lived in a country that had 10,000 Howitzers pointed at me and knew they could reach half way across my country I would not sleep lightly. The havoc North Korea could wreak on South Korea using conventional weapons is scary enough.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you didn’t join this forum while I posted more often. I’m cosmopolitan, if anything. I’m on the side of the right. I will fight for Japan if Japan’s right, of course “the right” is what/who I think is right. I’ve lived in a country where millions of people were killed in a recent war and most modern wars were fought because of nationalism.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2084189]Perhaps you didn’t join this forum while I posted more often. I’m cosmopolitan, if anything. I’m on the side of the right. I will fight for Japan if Japan’s right, of course “the right” is what/who I think is right. I’ve lived in a country where millions of people were killed in a recent war and most modern wars were fought because of nationalism.[/QUOTE]

I believe in the sanity of the masses. I believe most people when if graphed will come out in the center. This has been proven mathematically quite a few times. If you are truly cosmopolitan then by that definition you give yourself, you, being a member of a “cosmopolitan group” would believe in the sanity of the masses. If not and your just cynical, you bear the cross of many cynics. I believe the mass of the ploanet wants to do what’s “right”. If not then like Isaid, we are all screwed. hat is what I meant by pro-American. I would have been more accurate if I said “Pro-Human” as I do not believe that American is the bastion of what is right. We do try though. It is something most Americans want. I have been here 50 years, it is what I have observed. If you are Pro Korean, you wants what is best for Korea, it doesn’t mean to the detriment of others. That is what I meant. Being a person of color I have experienced the best and the worst of the America has to offer. I still love her and always will. I hope you still love Korea, it is important to love, it is the only choice we really have.

[QUOTE=Bob;2084147]ahhh i think i got your meaning now:

Ken you only mention the kids are crying no more USA beef and not how many of my relatives that died to help your relatives so Samsung and LG can grow. Seems in your speel it’s all about S.Korea.

Electronics products are like jobs…if you can’t make them someone else will.

What do you want USA back to help S.Korea again without our beef?

Can you give a shorter version of what your first post means please?

Yes things are tough all over…[/QUOTE]

Sorry, have you tried to read the contents in the linked URL’s? It cannot be made shorter, but only much longer.

So, who is the real “Big Brother” from George Orwell’s 1984?

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=144873

President Lee Myung-bak, hardly in office three months, has been caught badly off-guard by the fury swirling in the world’s most wired country, which began with a flurry of gripes about importing “dangerous” US beef and turned into a blizzard of complaints against his brief rule.

“Maybe, we have been experimenting with a new type of politics without even knowing it,” said sociology professor Chun Sang-chin, of Sogang University.

Does this make you feel better Ken? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear

I’ll do my best to keep USA beef here in the USA…

[QUOTE=Bob;2084374]Does this make you feel better Ken? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear

I’ll do my best to keep USA beef here in the USA…[/QUOTE]

That reactor tower was already very empty before destruction. North Korea just destroyed something that had to be destroyed anyway to please some US officials though I’m not sure whether the US president Bush sincerely believed it was worth everything the US announced to give North Korea yesterday.

What had to be destroyed are mostly safely kept somewhere else and what is worse is that it is South Korea an the US that gave North Korea the money, materials, experiences, etc. to build the bomb in the first place and that’s mainly why “Sunshine Policy” of former South Korean president, the Nobel Prize-winner Kim Dae Jung has been criticized so much. Practically all of my hometown friends, family, and relatives voted for him and I did support him strongly, but that doesn’t change the fact that he helped North Korea to steal some time (and money) to have nuclear power to threaten the US and Japan to threaten South Korea which in turn is merely to help the North Korean regime to stay longer in power, say, at least till 2030 or even 2050 because Kim Jong-Il and old friends and relatives of Kim Il-Sung all want to die in peace.

I don’t care much about ideologies and rhetorics around politics domestic or international, but it’s human lives that are suffering while politicians and voters in South Korea and the US repeat lip services.

Bob, you still haven’t read what I linked above, right? If you knew a little about South Korea, you should have realized that there are far more people in South Korea that want to buy US beef than those protesting now. Ordinary citizens are merely consumers, lower prices and quality of what they pay for comes before ideologies, is true even in South Korea, and it’s only beef, not something out of Andromeda Strain or the latest Stealth fighter. Even my mother who is 58 years old and received school education for only some months because she had to work starting at 7 or 8 has sometimes bought imported beef. If you, I mean the 200 million or so voters in the US and the representing policitians and other key decision-makers, decide to decrease relationship between the US and South Korea, such as trade volume in terms of US dollars and the number of USFK troops, that will merely help 1. North Korea and 2. South Koreans who are pro-North Korea. and will further weaken the already very weak basis that support humanism and free trade.

IMO democracy like the USA has does make it a better nation .Other types of government treat their own citizens as less than equal & less intellegent.
The cost of freedom & democracy is usually blood,lives & sweat.That is the price American pioneers paid to make the USA the democracy it is.That is the price other nations citizens will have to pay to gain the freedom.Until the do they will be slaves of a sort.
One day & it may not be to far off us Americans will have to have the second American Revolution as more of our rights are taken away by laws like the Patriot Act.
Just last week the Supreme Court of The USA made the first intellegent decision they have made in a long time reguarding the Second Ammendment to the US Constitution.I already knew the meaning as do most Americans.That the right to keep & bear arms was & is an individual right.The recent decision did not go far enough but was a step in the right direction.Only the threat of an armed citizens keeps any government in line.I just hope other Americans haven’t become so complacient they will no longer fight & die if necessary to keep our government in line.Like our ancestors did.I think if George Washington was alive today the Second American Revolution would have already started.
The point of this is if Koreans want a better Korea then they will have to fight for it.If that means dieing that is the cost of freedom.

This thread is going in circles. The statements are legalistic. It seems that if you agree, then you don’t know enough. If you don’t understand what is being said, you don’t know enough. Kenshin, I agree with what you have said, basically, about the cooling tower. I am surprised though that you chastised me for asking if you were pro American, it seems that you want us to be pro-S.Korean? I think maybe I should write from what I have observed and based on the number of Americans who died there that we are pro-S.Korean. If a small number of S.Koreans are disrupting your freedoms then that is something you guys have to work out.
@cholla, “The Revolution will not be televised”. It is already happening.

@Zathros

[QUOTE=Zathros;2085019]
@cholla, “The Revolution will not be televised”. It is already happening.[/QUOTE]
I know it is already happening by more than one group.So far mostly by “legal” means.I know a lot of us Americans have had it with a Congress that’s supposed to represent us only representing the highest bidder of special interest groups.Personally I would like to hang them all right outside the Capital & leave them there for the new Congress to see as a reminder.
You are also right in that it won’t be televised.If the media does televise anything they always choose the lowest IQ,redneck moron they can find to represent the citizens ready to be part of the Revolution.