Intel Z97 chipset - First impressions
If you haven't already heard, Intel have launched their Z97 chipset, and motherboards are already available.
So what's new in Z97.
- Support for the existing 4th generation Haswell (LGA1150) CPU's.
- Support for the new Haswell refresh CPU's.
- Support for the 5th generation Broadwell CPU's (die shrink to 14nm).
- Support for SATA Express at up to 10Gbps.
- Support for M.2 SSDs at up to 10Gbps.
There may well be other minor improvements that I've forgotten about, but the main updates are listed above.
I have my hands on an Asus Z97 Deluxe, which so far is awesome, in terms of features and stability.
It has a brand new, and much improved UEFI, and more subtle colour scheme which I like a lot.
The board has WiFi ac support, and support for SATA Express and M.2.
The storage configuration is very flexible, and is configured as follows.
- 10 SATA 6Gbps ports, six from the Intel Z97 chipset, 4 from two AsMedia 1061 SATA controllers.
- Or other combinations, as follows.
- 2X SATA Express plus six SATA 6Gbps.
- 1X SATA Express and 8 SATA 6Gbps
- 1X M.2 plus 8 SATA 6Gbps.
- 1X M.2 plus 1X SATA Express, plus 6 SATA 6Gbps.
Note: Not all Z97 have this configuration.
Anyone planning on Z97 in the near future?