Intel: We will sue those who use the leaked HDCP master key

vbimport

Intel: We will sue those who use the leaked HDCP master key.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/CESEZP.jpg[/newsimage]Intel has gone on the record to admit that the supposed master key to circumvent High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), the DRM that prevents copying data over HDMI and DVI connections, is indeed the real thing. They’ve also made it quite clear that they will pursue legal action against anyone they catch using it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intel-we-will-sue-those-who-use-the-leaked-hdcp-master-key-34670/](http://www.myce.com/news/intel-we-will-sue-those-who-use-the-leaked-hdcp-master-key-34670/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

others are saying that Intel is being naïve and underestimating the abilities of people

And I am guessing these are the black hat pirates…celebrating…and opening the champagne bottles for the big party. If it is out there already and they think they can get it back or stop it - they are living in a rosy world with rosy palms. Most likely it has gone around the www many times already and if they think they can stop one they are even living in a rosy world then I think they are living now…

hehehehe Intel is plainly and simply [B]SCREWED[/B] now that it is out in the wild
they will have to spend all their money and time in court to sue everyone. :bigsmile:

Anyone remember DVD John and the DVD key that the industry said wouldn’t
become a problem because no one would be able to use it for anything. :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

So. Using AnyDVD does the same thing?

[QUOTE=wconeybeer;2546364]They�ve also made it quite clear that they will pursue legal action against anyone they catch using it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Intel hasn’t learned anything from the RIAA debacle of shotgun lawsuits.

Perhaps we can “help” intel with the combined force of our wallets :bigsmile:
I don’t want to know what they’ve built into their CPUs and chipsets :eek:

-seo

They�ve also made it quite clear that they will pursue legal action against anyone they catch using it.

There’s a new sherrif in town and his name is Intel. Beware of this sherrif. He’s been known to shoot faster than his shadow, own a stupid dog and is the only person known to man that can control the Daltons.

Oh and he doesn’t like you using previous leaked binary matrices in your hardware.

“Should someone use this published information to create a circumvention device there are definitely enforcement actions that could be taken… we would avail ourselves of the legal remedies as appropriate at our choice,” he said.

Despite all of this, Intel has also told the movie industry that the leak does not pose a serious piracy threat because it would require a custom-built device to do so.

The Chinese pirates are pretty crafty at pirating name brand consumer electronics goods, something I’ve already seen during a recent trip to Morocco, i.e. imitation Nokia phones, iPods, etc. I highly doubt a lawsuit threat from Intel or anyone else will stop them creating and selling a HDCP circumvention device that uses this leaked key. Sure the devices will probably never hit the high street shops, but they will show up somewhere just like their other counterfeit goods.

Also, it doesn’t take HDCP circumvention to be able to rip a Blu-ray or re-record the video stream until someone comes up with a clever way of encrypting the video between the eyes and the TV. No amount of copy protection between the playback equipment and the TV is going to prevent a HD camcorder from capturing what appears on the screen. As for Blu-ray ripping, forget about the HDCP, far too cumbersome, as Slysoft, DVDFab, etc. already have products that does the job a lot easier.

[QUOTE=Seán;2546732] No amount of copy protection between the playback equipment and the TV is going to prevent a HD camcorder from capturing what appears on the screen. As for Blu-ray ripping, forget about the HDCP, far too cumbersome, as Slysoft, DVDFab, etc. already have products that does the job a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

There is no copy protection that can stop someone that wants to copy something. They can spend all the money they want and pass all the laws they want, but they can’t stop it and you mght say they are foolish to try, but the people doing most of the work and making most of the money are LAWYERS. Oddly enough almost all politicians are also Lawyers. See any connection there?

Recording from a HDMI connection isn’t practical, not just because of DRM but the sheer data rate. Now find me a way to capture the transport stream that feeds the HDMI and [I]that [/I]is manageable.

[QUOTE=Seán;2546732]The Chinese pirates are pretty crafty at pirating name brand consumer electronics goods, something I’ve already seen during a recent trip to Morocco, i.e. imitation Nokia phones, iPods, etc. I highly doubt a lawsuit threat from Intel or anyone else will stop them creating and selling a HDCP circumvention device that uses this leaked key. [/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing, a company in China or elsewhere might just build a HDCP circumvention device where Intel has no legal authority. Then people could just order the devices online from anywhere in the world.

As far as the Blu-ray ripping question goes, that’s not really relevant, as we know it’s easy to rip a Blu-ray movie via AnyDVD HD nowadays.

HDCP will supposedly encrypt other video streams too, like from an internet video device to your TV etc. An HDCP circumvention device would allow everyone to capture that type of content as well.