Intel vs AMD for futureproofing?

Irrespective of which is the faster CPU, which one would you recommend if my main goal is upgradability. I want to remove the old CPU and plug in a newer CPU on the same mobo & RAM in the future.

ie, will the current socket A or socket 478 take faster processors in the future?

It’s unlikely that either will be “future-proof”.

During quite a long time, AMD managed to keep the Socket A for their CPU’s (Duron 600 up to Athlon 3200+), but with the 64bit CPUs they finally had to change to another socket as well. Although it’s nice to have a socket that lasts for a very long time, there’s always the limiting factor of the chipset. With AMD’s latest CPUs (64bit), there comes an integrated memory controller, that should make it possible to keep mainboards for a longer time…

But… as rdgrimes already mentioned, none of the CPUs is really futureproof and most likely, they’ll never be!

The chipsets are the real limiting factors, wouldn’t it be great if we could swap them out? With new innovations live chipset-based SATA controllers and (hopefully) 66MHz PCI bus, there’s always a reason to get a new MB, so the socket is really secondary.

Thanks for your responses so far…

1. I dont expect 3+ years futureproofing. I just want something that I can plug in a new CPU within 1.5 years or so with minimal fuss (ie same RAM/mainboard).

2. Umm, I understand what you mean by chipsets and sockets, BUT the bottom line is that if it dont fit in the socket, it dont matter wheat chipset it is!

Well, any contenders for mobos?

both socket A and socket 478 are at the end of their upgradable lives. if u need to buy a new motherboard now and want upgradability in the future, u’ll have to go with one of amd’s new motherboards, as intel’s socket T isn’t available yet.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
But… as rdgrimes already mentioned, none of the CPUs is really futureproof and most likely, they’ll never be!

Never watched Star Trek eh? :smiley:

mzzl

Originally posted by AZImmortal
both socket A and socket 478 are at the end of their upgradable lives. if u need to buy a new motherboard now and want upgradability in the future, u’ll have to go with one of amd’s new motherboards, as intel’s socket T isn’t available yet.

Just forget about socket 754, as that one’s already announced to be “dead”… :wink:

socket 754 isn’t dead just yet, but it’s eventually going to become the socket for amd’s “value” processors (like the duron is now). unfortunately, this division of sockets means that switching between the “value” and “performance” cpus (like u can with socket A) won’t be possible. socket 939 will become amd’s mainstream socket and will be much more upgradable in the long run. socket 754 will be phased out much sooner than socket 939.

Just think when the Tejas chips (The chips right after Presscott) come out if you bend a pin you will replace the motherboard and not the chip. :eek:

Originally posted by AZImmortal
ssocket 754 will be phased out much sooner than socket 939.

Yes, I already read some rumours that the production of the socket 754 CPU’s (and thus mainboards of this type) will be stopped somewhere in Q2-2k4, as all Athlon 64s will be equipped with a dual channel memory controller as well…