Intel to release hardware fix for Spectre and Meltdown later this year

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/intel-release-hardware-fix-spectre-meltdown-later-year-83563/

Intel promises to release a hardware solution for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities later this year. The company announced this in its quarterly earnings call. A hardware solution doesn’t need any additional software to protect against the vulnerabilities.

Does “hardware fix” mean Intel will be offering free replacement processors? Or does it mean new MicroCode? Or does it mean “We have new ‘secure’ processors you can buy, and it will only cost you an arm and a leg”?

BTW, these questions are meant to be serious. If anyone has any answers, I’d appreciate hearing from you.

Yeah, like they will give you a free cpu. Sounds good but they could care less. Same here being seroius. I highly doubt they will make that offer and then also have you sign non-disclosure and not sue them for damages.

The news is basically that newer CPUs will be released that do not suffer from the vulnerabilities. The design will be different in some way.

With respect to people getting free replacements… I wouldn’t hold my breath. We’ll have to wait and see how things play out but I’d expect class action lawsuits, settlements, etc. People getting some money back and then using that to buy newer hardware.

The bigger question I have is whether Intel will roll out newer CPUs that aren’t vulnerable but are compatible with existing chipsets. So, for example, I could simply swap out my 6700K with a safer CPU without a new motherboard. It would be nice but I won’t be holding my breath on that.

Yeah, I don’t really expect Intel to give replacement hardware. That may be the right thing to do, but it would cost far too much for Intel to do willingly.

Additionally, replacements around the world would mean a giant amount of work and for business servers, may trigger random unpredictable computer bugs.

Well… random unpredictable computer bugs are inevitable anyway. A few have already popped up. I remember hearing about a Windows 10 update preventing anti-virus programs from functioning properly. (I can’t remember if that update was to mitigate Spectre or Meltdown, but I suppose it doesn’t really matter.)

Actually they caused the problem so they should loose money to fix the problem. That’s called corporate responsibility for the problem but you know how far that goes.

Hearing and actually getting to the real story is different. My Win10 updates had no such issues it was with A/V that wasn’t using Defenders that was the problem. That is the story I read about.

I read somewhere that there would be firmware updates for motherboards to patch this “hole.”

It might be good to go to the forum for your motherboard manufacturer and place a post saying that you are looking forward to a firmware update for motherboard model xxxxxxx to let the manufacturer know that users are expecting patches for these problems.