Intel to pay AMD $1.25 billion in antitrust settlement

vbimport

Burying a very large hatchet in the computing industry, Intel has agreed to pay Advanced Micro Devices $1.25 billion as part of a settlement of a long-running antitrust case.

The pact, announced Thursday, resolves the private antitrust lawsuit AMD filed in 2004 and extends the companies’ patent cross-licensing agreement. The new patent arrangement removes hindrances to AMD’s effort to spin off its chip manufacturing business and to have other manufacturers build its processors.
Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10396188-92.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

:cool::cool:

I built my first computer using an Intel chip some years ago. It lasted 6 months. I swore off Intel and Stated using AMD. 8 computers later, the only reason I ever built another computer was to upgrade. The AMD’s outlasted the Intel based computers my friends built and many of my friends switched to AMD for thier personal computers and those who did it professionally talk many clients into using AMD’s. The consensus was the AMD had longer legs and survived overheating better. Of course this is not scientific, but I still think AMD gives you better bang for the buck. I am also happy they nailed Intel. Pong Pong Pong!! (sung to the Intel them song byte).

Another spot where I seem to be the odd ball, never any problems with Intel :disagree: and nothing but problems with AMD. :iagree:

Still glad Intel got what was coming to them, which means I will probably start having to pay my share of that 1.25 billion with my next purchase :frowning:

That’s the way it goes with things. I used to only ride Honda’s and then got a Suzuki and now I love Suzuki’s. I kind of always went for the underdog. I am not really sure what to go with my next buil. I like the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core and the Asus Crosshair III, but who knows by the time I get the money up. The supposedly unbiased side by side tests are to far above my head to make any sense and what I look at what I can afford with Intel, it seems for a little less I can get a kick butt AMD. But who knows.

I think an agreement which keeps both companies out of the courts and back to designing cpus is positive for everyone(except their lawyers, of course.).

AMD will bleed that in the next quarter or two, sad but true.

It’s unfortunate that AMD current processor lineup is only now competitive with Intel’s two generation old Core architecture. They have no answer for Bloomfield or Lynnfield.

Intel was really pissed off over the whole Prescott fiasco, AMD had a nice run, but they seriously angered the sleeping giant. I would hate to see AMD disappear, the industry needs competition.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2464935]AMD will bleed that in the next quarter or two, sad but true.

It’s unfortunate that AMD current processor lineup is only now competitive with Intel’s two generation old Core architecture. They have no answer for Bloomfield or Lynnfield.

Intel was really pissed off over the whole Prescott fiasco, AMD had a nice run, but they seriously angered the sleeping giant. I would hate to see AMD disappear, the industry needs competition.[/QUOTE]

Sleeping giant more like a uneducated and crying baby whom can’t stand to loose to a better competitor. You seem to not read enough they AMD are for the consumer not Intel. Intel is the one that can’t seem to be on the competition market. And how would you know what AMD is developing or has out and you don’t know since your not their R&D department?? Like AMD is going to roll over and die like you want. Intel is where it’s at by bullying computer makers if they really did fair competition I think they would be the one crying fowl that AMD is making a better chip for the long term. It’s like this I would buy a Japanese car before going with a American name brand vechicle. Reason being they have better quality control and name recognition to produce better products from beginning to end. And I bet you with this settlement Intel will loose pc makers as they will say bye bye and have a nice dream Intel now we get to pick and choose whom we will use for our CPU architure. And from the read of the article seems Intel is still in State of Denial over its’ business practices-typical never wanting to admit when they are caught. Guess they want more lawsuits and antitrust lawsuits to come figure to big to think and use their brains.

I stopped trying to make sense of your post after uneducated…

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2464952]I stopped trying to make sense of your post after uneducated…[/QUOTE]

Yours was a long time ago…for me…