Intel 'to allow motherboard makers another 3-5 years'

This article over on Tom’sHW closes with an interesting assertion that “Intel is unlikely to ‘destroy’ the motherboard industry and may let the industry live for another three to five years.”

I can’t find the supporting DigiTimes article that this writer uses for his argument, but it’s an interesting thought. I assume, by the way, this is the Consumer Market for motherboards - the one that Intel bailed out on itself.

Gee that’s awfully nice of them, so guys like me that having been building computers for 15 years can still have a hobby? I am 71 and by the time they stop manufacturing motherboards I don’t even know if I will be around, I hope so but who knows, maybe AMD will step up to the plate ( na). LOL.:smiley:

I can’t see that happining other than Intel really needs to get thier CPUS inline with AMD as far as sockets intel has so many if I where manufacturing Motherborads I would probably also consider making them very expensive and go with another CPU manufacturer like AMD and I am intel all the way I am no AMD fan for a power user they are fine for many other things.

I don’t Hate AMD I do lots of AMD builds for the normal user from gaming to a cheap builds for people that want to surf the web their prices can’t be touched with a Intel build costing about 30% more.

@Alan your still young many new exciting things to see I expect you will out live your lifetime License for 1click I don’t expect too.:smiley:

alan1476 join me I plan on living until I am 150 years old why die before then

Haswell will have several soldered-on motherboards for sale, apparently. The next step, I suppose. Solder on memory, then reduce all CPU speeds and cores to one model, or two. Offer one or two memory sizes, too. Oh wait - that’s called a tablet, or an all-in-one, or Smartphone.

[QUOTE=samlar;2686609]alan1476 join me I plan on living until I am 150 years old why die before then[/QUOTE]
If only we could do that. If you have the secret please share.:wink:

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

So I have faith at least as much as a mustart seed that if I refuse to die I want. Forget about moving Mountain.

In 3-5 years, the demand for Bulky pcs will be niche. Similarly, demand for high power server processors will be niche, because the bulk of server loads are better served by many low power processors, than single high power processors.

Everyone will be using a table or phablet, and little plug in Android/ios devices coupled with 4k2k tvs will be replacing dedicated pcs. Given the terrible smart tv interfaces, no-one will be using inbuilt smart tv interfaces (of course).
I foresee many services turning to large touch screens with inbuilt dedicated processors, rather than generic high power processors, and work pcs will be touch based with projected keyboards, rather than mechanical keyboards. Further still keyboards and mice will be completely replaced by voice recognition and touch screen. And then touch screens will be replaced by motion detection devices.

In 20 years, some smart bugger will say, “Hey, there are economies of scale if we just build one general purpose processor that can do everything, rather than dedicated little processors for everything” and he/she will be regaled as a visionary thinker/business person, and an alternate company will have an epiphany and release a competing product, and then they’ll be competing on speed, then price, then product range, and the whole cycle will start again.

While the hi-fi stereo industry has been mostly wiped out of the retail storefronts, we still be individual parts being mixed and matched. But not having their innards built like those were done in the '50s into the '60s.

I suspect we’ll see a lot of mini-ITX or Bible-sized computers in the future but I can’t imagine not having full-sized keyboards if I was to accomplish anything more than occasional abbreviations. Of course, maybe a No-Keyboard world would foist us back into voice-comm’s.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2686761]While the hi-fi stereo industry has been mostly wiped out of the retail storefronts, we still be individual parts being mixed and matched. But not having their innards built like those were done in the '50s into the '60s.

I suspect we’ll see a lot of mini-ITX or Bible-sized computers in the future but I can’t imagine not having full-sized keyboards if I was to accomplish anything more than occasional abbreviations. Of course, maybe a No-Keyboard world would foist us back into voice-comm’s.[/QUOTE]

Not touch screen, screen based, keyboards.
Projected keyboards.

I foresee a whole new market regarding soft touch keyboard pads.

Actually, I’ve figured that we’d see glove-keyboards where a sensor in my palm would detect finger-tip sensor locations from that palm-sensor - measure the precise distance because Row 3 Keys require a different stretch distance than Row 1 Keys. Simply measure that accurately, and my hand’s reach to the R key will be different than it’s reach to the T. Angles, distances - it should all work out accurately.

This would allow people to type in midair, or hands in their pocket, or anywhere. “I’m not shooting the finger! I’m texting!” For people who tap along with music all the time, who knows what messages will be transmitted into space!

I’ll bet that projected keyboards will be the final blow to the PC martket, as people move onto planet tablet/smart phone. Sure, there not common now… but I’ll bet they will be soon.

Then will come “safe” brain inplants. There will be no protests about DRM after that, since we’ll all be corporate mind puppets. There will be a great social divide between those who are controlled, and those who aren’t.

After that, someone’s going to realize there is enough technology out there for them to put together a robot smart enough to have an actual conversation. Everyone will want an Android of their very own (even though these people will already be cyborgs). A mechanical rebellion will soon follow. Hopefully these bots will not be able to figure out how our nuclear weapons work…

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2686865]I’ll bet that projected keyboards will be the final blow to the PC martket, as people move onto planet tablet/smart phone. Sure, there not common now… but I’ll bet they will be soon.

Then will come “safe” brain inplants. There will be no protests about DRM after that, since we’ll all be corporate mind puppets. There will be a great social divide between those who are controlled, and those who aren’t.

After that, someone’s going to realize there is enough technology out there for them to put together a robot smart enough to have an actual conversation. Everyone will want an Android of their very own (even though these people will already be cyborgs). A mechanical rebellion will soon follow. Hopefully these bots will not be able to figure out how our nuclear weapons work…[/QUOTE]
But it will all be ok, because all the real humans will have moved to mars by then :wink:

They will have to think hard and long before coming up with something that has the accuracy and efficiency of movement of a mouse and/or touchpad. Same for keyboards. Look at how huge the market is for add-on keyboards for tablets. I have an Asus TF300T with a keyboard dock and I use the dock 95% of the time because it is easier than using just the tablet. Anyone that even moderately uses a tablet would find a keyboard/touchpad add-on device a major convenience. In addition to the mouse and keyboard it functions as a great stand for the tablet. Once the “new” wears off using a tablet by itself, I think people will come to appreciate the function of a laptop configuration. As for larger touch screens, they might be a niche item at best. The larger the screen the bigger a PITA it is to use on a consistent basis. Using a large touchscreen for long periods of time would be a good exercise regimen.

IMO, the mouse, touchpad and keyboard will be with us for quite some time. There is a reason they have been unchanged in basic function for a very long time. They are efficient and very functional. I think the container, and the computer components it houses, will shrink but the devices we use to interface with it may not so much.

UTR, you’re placing a faith that most folks are creative, have an imagination and believe they have something to type about. You’re suffering from the “Lean Forward And Do” belief system.

The Smartphone-Tablet-teeny-screen industry thinks we’re moving to a “Sit Back, Watch and Consume” belief system. This system believes in Subscriber Mentality, No Ownership-All Rent, and they need to megapolize everyone into a few urban centers instead of letting folks live where they want.

I still haven’t met too many folks that dream of retiring into an urban monstrosity (I keep seeing BLADE RUNNER’s ‘town’). Only a few now-ex-Microsoft employees will claim this is THEIR dream for THEIR customers, too. I wonder if that ex-employee is moving to BladeRunnerVille? Or what’s-left-of-Detroit?

Assuming we still have a free market, capitalist based system, the end users’ will trump the misguided musings of the self appointed elite class. I wonder is these people actually use the garbage they are pushing on the rest of us.

IMO, the only way the mouse and keyboard will be replaced is if they come up with much better voice-to-text software and develop a foolproof eye scanning system to replace the current mouse/touchpad.

UTR, now that sounds like we’ll all end up in Stephen Hawking Signature Chairs or something!

Those stone tablets and chisels are almost starting to sound more reasonable. “Durability? At least 3,000 years. Proven. Unless someone trots down off of glowing mountains and smashes them on idols.”

Maybe we should be waiting for watery tarts to hand up swords!