Intel T8100 vs T8300

vbimport

So for anyone is there a real advantage in getting a T8300 to a T8100? I know I read the specs but also the price is also very noticeable as well.
The T8100 is 23$ us and the T8300 is 34$ US. Prices right now isn’t much different but I like to get the most bang for the buck and one is 2.1Ghz and one is 2.4Ghz. I am leaning toward the T8300 to replace my Celeron in my Dell 1525.

I would just get the faster one. :cool:

I think this saturday I will go with the T8300 just cause from the other forum site that talks about upgrading the 1525 cpu most recommend if you can find it go for the T8300. But I thought I would get a second opinion before making a final decision to buy it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2614753]So for anyone is there a real advantage in getting a T8300 to a T8100? I know I read the specs but also the price is also very noticeable as well.
The T8100 is 23$ us and the T8300 is 34$ US. Prices right now isn’t much different but I like to get the most bang for the buck and one is 2.1Ghz and one is 2.4Ghz. I am leaning toward the T8300 to replace my Celeron in my Dell 1525.[/QUOTE]

THE reason for recommending the T8300 as an upgrade chip for a Dell 1525 is simple… The fastest “Penryn” CPU that Dell factory installed in
the 1525 as “optional” is the T8300

I have two Dell 1525’s, a T8300 in one and a T6400 in the other.
However I should tell you that another T8300 is in the mail to replace
the T6400.

Allegedly ANY of the 800MHz FSB “Penryn” CPUs made to fit
a Socket-P will work in a Dell 1525. this includes the T9300 and T9500 Socket P versions.

But you’ll typically find the T9300 CPU selling for ~$70 on ebay, typically the T9500s trade for a bit over $100.

I have no personal experience with swapping either a T9300
or T9500 CPU into a 1525, however both CPUs are Specified to operate on the Intel 965chipset.

The only reason I have not tried it is because I haven’t had the spare $100 to satisy my intellectual curiousity.

Might I suggest you look up the CPU’s that interest you on Passmark?

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2614951]THE reason for recommending the T8300 as an upgrade chip for a Dell 1525 is simple… The fastest “Penryn” CPU that Dell factory installed in
the 1525 as “optional” is the T8300

I have two Dell 1525’s, a T8300 in one and a T6400 in the other.
However I should tell you that another T8300 is in the mail to replace
the T6400.

Allegedly ANY of the 800MHz FSB “Penryn” CPUs made to fit
a Socket-P will work in a Dell 1525. this includes the T9300 and T9500 Socket P versions.

But you’ll typically find the T9300 CPU selling for ~$70 on ebay, typically the T9500s trade for a bit over $100.

I have no personal experience with swapping either a T9300
or T9500 CPU into a 1525, however both CPUs are Specified to operate on the Intel 965chipset.

The only reason I have not tried it is because I haven’t had the spare $100 to satisy my intellectual curiousity.

Might I suggest you look up the CPU’s that interest you on Passmark?[/QUOTE]

Your not kidding I like to get a T9300 and well that will burn a big hole in my cash reserves…while a T8300 I can manage to live with. I will wait to see if a T9300 comes up to be affordable later this week and order both a T8300 for my 1525 and the T9300 for my P-6860FX gamer. I like the T9500 specs but that sticker shocker was a little too much for my cash flow to handle going with the T9300 I might be able to make some sacrifices to get it but man it’s a bummer.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2615031]Your not kidding I tried to get a T9300 and well that will burn a big hole in my cash reserves…while a T8300 I can manage to live with. I wait to see if a T9300 comes up to be affordable later this week and order both a T8300 for my 1525 and the T9300 for my P-6860FX gamer. I like the T9500 specs but that sticker shocker was a little too much for my cash flow to handle going with the T9300 I might be able to make some sacrifices to get it but man it’s a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get me wrong, $100 isn’t a huge ammount of cash, particularly if I had a “dead” CPU to replace, But for a performance increase that I’d consider less than earth shattering, it’s a bit much.

the T-8300 I’m waiting for cost me $15-shipped.

Some idiot listed it on ebay “Buy-It-Now” and I caught the auction in the wee hours of the morning on my way back to bed after a bathroom trip
and bought it on the spot, then went back to bed…

I just love people who list things without doing their research first.
Of course I should point out if it had been listed for $30 B-i-N I’d
have done the same thing. I just didn’t want to pay more than $35 (shipped)
for a T8300

I’ll get a T9500 when I can get it for $65-70 shipped.

I’m also looking to a Pentium-M 770 or 780 to upgrade an older laptop I have, you want “Sticker shock”? look at the going rate for an intel Pentium M 780.

Typically >$100… for a pentium M? Not from me…

$20-$30 for a 770 (2.13GHz) sounds a lot more tolerable and only incrementally slower than the 2.26GHz 780

I’m patient… and as ruthless & methodical as any other vulture you are likely to meet. I don’t need to “rush” I just need to wait…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2615036]
I’m patient… and as ruthless & methodical as any other vulture you are likely to meet. I don’t need to “rush” I just need to wait…

AD[/QUOTE]

Still learning there and now I ask more questions and do more looking on Ebay before buying and compare with S&H before deciding. Got caught couple times when I could’ve spent less…a bummer but good learning experience.

Well I did catch a T9300 for 69.99 and made the leap and bought it…and will later buy the T8300 for my 1525 when I time later…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2615164]Well I did catch a T9300 for 69.99 and made the leap and bought it…and will later buy the T8300 for my 1525 when I time later…[/QUOTE]

Well atleast TRY it in the Dell 1525 and tell me if it works or not.

I always love to get empirical evidence.

THE thing about the T9300 & T9500 is the larger Cache and more actual transistors in the cores.

People always look at clock speed, when Cache size and number of transistors is as, if not more, important.

Look at where Passmark scores the T9300 & T9500
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T9500+%40+2.60GHz
compared to the T8300
http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T8300+@+2.40GHz

Now for amusement look down the list at all the desktop CPU’s the T9300 out performs

If clock speed were everything I’d still be running a 3.4GHz Pentium D
instead of the 2.66GHz Core 2 quad I have i my current desktop.

(I handed off my old computer (an HP dc7600) to my father to use as an e-mail and web browsing machine.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2615187]Well atleast TRY it in the Dell 1525 and tell me if it works or not.

I always love to get empirical evidence.

THE thing about the T9300 & T9500 is the larger Cache and more actual transistors in the cores.

People always look at clock speed, when Cache size and number of transistors is as, if not more, important.

Look at where Passmark scores the T9300 & T9500
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T9500+%40+2.60GHz
compared to the T8300
http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T8300+@+2.40GHz

Now for amusement look down the list at all the desktop CPU’s the T9300 out performs

If clock speed were everything I’d still be running a 3.4GHz Pentium D
instead of the 2.66GHz Core 2 quad I have i my current desktop.

(I handed off my old computer (an HP dc7600) to my father to use as an e-mail and web browsing machine.

AD[/QUOTE]

I did replace the 2.1 Ghz celeron with a T5750 from my M-6862 and here is what I got for the Windows experience index but I did max the RAM and add a bluetooth and later here a webcam. Don’t recall what the Celeron was before. I will put the T9300 in and do a windows index and see what it says but I did purchase the T9300 for my P-6860FX gaming desktop replacement unit so I will go there. And if the T8300 does come down I price or find a reasonable price I might decide then again. So did you want a Windows index report since you said you wanted a empirical numbers?

T5750 windows index:

Processor: 5.0
Memory(RAM): 5.0
Graphics: 3.5
Gaming Graphics: 3.1
Primary hard disk: 4.3

And the Passmark for the T9300 and T9500 are so close I have to wonder did I really gain anything going to a T9500 other then loosing more money to buy it???

ok, I know bought one T9300 and two T8300 as that was all I was able fund the purchase with my limited funds. And now will put the T9300 into the 1525 and do a windows index test on it but the T9300 will go into my P-6860FX Gateway and the T8300 will go into a 1525 and M-6862 to improve gaming performance and cpu processing as they are 45nm die instead of 65nm die for less battery drain and improve memory performance. but I will still keep the T5750and T7500 around for backup. I doubt I will sell them as they are working and unless I get a good offer from ebay I will keep them still. But I will put the T9300 into the 1525 and do a windows index and post that along with the T5750 and T8300 index. But the Dell 1525 will have the T8300 inside of it along with the M-6862.

Here are the specs T5750 vs T9300. I will post the T8300 windows index when I get it and that will be the 1525 CPU. The only noticeable was the speed but that could be relative but it does go from 5.1 to 6.1 for Processor and memory.

Your T5750 tested similarly to my T6400 2.0GHz / 2M Cache / 800MHz FSB except it scored 5.5 on both CPU and Memory

The T8300 which finally arrived in todays mail scored 5.9 in both top lines

And I always get a “5.9” on primary Hard drive speed, but then again I have a 500gb 7200rpm WD “Black” drive, that made a larger improvement in performance of this notebook than everything else I’ve ever done combined.

Not that Windows Experience scores are anything close to important, but I feel real good about bumping from 5.5 to 5.9 for a whopping $15

The 5-ish second improvement in boot-up from the new CPU time is “nice”

That’s better than the improvement seen going from 2 x 1gb RAM modules to 2 x 2gb Ram modules

I’m not sure that there’d be as much performance increase from a T9300 or T9500, as I’m pretty sure that any further increases are going to be pushing hard against “diminishing returns”, so I’m not in any rush to buy one…

But I do have a customer with a dead High end Sony Vaio Notebook that says it’s got a T9500 in it (I just had him reading the specs) along with a BD-RW drive (and the little uPCI card to run it) and if it is unrepairable
I may just get one as an interesting bit of another “carcass”
(I said I was a “Vulture” didn’t I?)

Interestingly we are both running 32bit Win7 Ultimate.

I got mine legally via a Faculty/Staff educational installer.
(Don’t work for them any more, but nobody told me I had to give it back:)

Why did you go with Ultimate?

BTW, while I was typing the reply above I had a FULL Virus scan running on the computer, all volumes, this typically runs just under an hour and you can see the scan pause on larger files.

It pauses a whole lot less now and the full virus scan finished in about half the normal time.
I guess the faster CPU really was worth the $15:)

AD

Yes, I know number and test can vary from system to system and how it is configured as well but it does give one a basis to go off from. The sticking of my T9300 into my 1525 did show improvement but not alot as shown on my Windows index test but I did it just to see what kinda number it would give me. But I will place a T8300 into the Dell 1525 when I do get it soon here and post those numbers as well. As to why I went to Win7 actually I got Win7x64 but I do have Win7x86 for CPU that aren’t 64bit processor but also it gives me more admin rights and can customize the computer and plus at the time I bought the software it didn’t cost to much so I made the wager to go W7x64Ult and W7x86Ult. I got W7x64 cause my processors could handle x64 so I thought it was natural to just go x64 as x86 apps will load and run under x64 still. But I did it so for the memory as my laptops can expand above 4Gigs so it was natural to just have the software that would use or have access to all the extra RAM. I think the main difference would only show up if one had a dedicate GPU memory that is where I would see a T9300 processor really show it’s performance that could also be true for the T8300 as well. But I think the performance with a dedicate GPU does help. I have three laptops w7x64Ult and dedicate GPU and just the Dell with W7x64Ult and Intel onboard video. The Dell will be my everyday computer and traveling companion.

Well, on my desktop I decided not to use the Win7Ult installer I have (even though it would certainly work) because my Desktop is a computer for which there are no published drivers for 32bit OS.

I went with Win7 pro-x64, the OEM version, and though I had some issues getting some of the drivers (written for Vista) to cooperate with windows 7…

I never even considered a 64bit OS for the 1525 notebook.
The MoBo only supports two 2gb DDR2 modules so for dealing with
x64 driver issues doing the install I’d get an additional 700mb of RAM
(fully utilizing the Two 2gb modules) It just didn’t seem worth the effort.

One of the upcomming cold winter days when I’m bored stiff
I’ll dig out a 64bit win7 installer and a spare hard drive and
see what happens.

Unlike the relatively stupid unwashed masses I know not to overwrite
a working OS when doing my expirementation…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2616166]Well, on my desktop I decided not to use the Win7Ult installer I have (even though it would certainly work) because my Desktop is a computer for which there are no published drivers for 32bit OS.

I went with Win7 pro-x64, the OEM version, and though I had some issues getting some of the drivers (written for Vista) to cooperate with windows 7…

I never even considered a 64bit OS for the 1525 notebook.
The MoBo only supports two 2gb DDR2 modules so for dealing with
x64 driver issues doing the install I’d get an additional 700mb of RAM
(fully utilizing the Two 2gb modules) It just didn’t seem worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know this because if you did try x64 on a non x64 CPU and didn’t know at that time it would stop and tell you the CPU is incompatible or something like that message. That’s why I decided if my CPU can handle x64 O/S why not go for it. It does take some effort to get the Vista x86 to work but they will work if there aren’t any vista x64 drivers. I also found out that you have to unpack the vista drivers and find the setup .exe and run it by itself and not let the auto run program run as as I found out if it can’t find the Vista(bloat) O/S it refuses to install. And some drivers you have to go to the manufacture site and get those and those are more updated to handle W7.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2616166]One of the upcomming cold winter days when I’m bored stiff
I’ll dig out a 64bit win7 installer and a spare hard drive and
see what happens.

Unlike the relatively stupid unwashed masses I know not to overwrite
a working OS when doing my experimentation…

AD[/QUOTE]

You should give it a try…and if it works you then that’s a good thing. I do it on a clean install and well rummage and reinstall all my apps and do my updates and it seems to be running well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2616178]Yeah, I know this because if you did try x64 on a non x64 CPU and didn’t know at that time it would stop and tell you the CPU is incompatible or something like that message. That’s why I decided if my CPU can handle x64 O/S why not go for it.[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of installers that will do either 32bit or 64bit
and if the system is capable of running the 64bit the installer
doesn’t ask, it simply installs the 64bit. you never get an option
to do otherwise.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2616178] It does take some effort to get the Vista x86 to work but they will work if there aren’t any vista x64 drivers. I also found out that you have to unpack the vista drivers and find the setup .exe and run it by itself and not let the auto run program run as as I found out if it can’t find the Vista(bloat) O/S it refuses to install. And some drivers you have to go to the manufacture site and get those and those are more updated to handle W7.[/QUOTE]

I always try a clean install of Win7 first and if I run into driver issues I wipe it
install a clean copy of vista, then all the vista drivers, and after I have everything working I “clone” that Vista install and try running windows 7 as an “upgrade” this will usually accept all the vista drivers and everything works…

Of course this forces you to have valid copies (or atleast physical media) for each version of Vista and Win7, in both 64bit and 32bit.

IBTW, I long ago determined that the “issue” of “Vista bloat” is a “problem” in inverse proportion to the size of the hard drive the system is installed on, presuming that hard drive is >250gb.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2616178]
You should give it a try…and if it works you then that’s a good thing. I do it on a clean install and well rummage and reinstall all my apps and do my updates and it seems to be running well. [/QUOTE]

Like I said, “when I’m bored”

My 32bit 7 ultimate works fine, I’m a firm believer in not fixing what isn’t broken, which is why when I have a working install I set it aside but I’m generally unwiling to over-write it.

I’m also aware that until a windows installation is “Activated” the computer
is “still in vegas” so to speak, and you have 30days to “do over” if something
doesn’t work

Well to report back the sell fell through the seller some how lost the purchase as to how and why they excused it as a inventory mess up and misplaced the item I bought and refunded my purchase so I guess I be keeping the current CPU in my Dell and keep it. Maybe when I find it cheaper again I make a purchase of the Intel T8300 again but for now there is no plans to buy a T8300.

Sale on what fell though? a T9300?

How about this one? $72 B-i-N (Free Shipping)

For a T8300…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T8300-2-4-GHz-Dual-Core-Processor-/280781544346?pt=CPUs&hash=item415fe25b9a

$32 B-i-N (free shipping)

No I had ordered two T8300 for 25$ S&H but they some how lost it in their inventory??? I wanted to not pay so much that was why when I say the 25$ I bought the two T8300 they were selling but they lost aka misplaced they told me where they put the two CPU that I had bought. So I will just wait since I am trying fix two other computers and will check back to find if the T8300 goes for less then 33$…