Intel SSD roadmap through Q1 2011 leaked

vbimport

Intel SSD roadmap through Q1 2011 leaked.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/0KiYT1.jpg[/newsimage]The 2011 Intel roadmap for CPUs and solid-state drives was recently published on the Internet, giving tech followers a brief glimpse into Intel’s product lineup through March 2011.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intel-outlines-plans-for-2011-ssd-lineup-33279/](http://www.myce.com/news/intel-outlines-plans-for-2011-ssd-lineup-33279/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

sweet!

Yay!

o’rly?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If they can keep the price low it would be really nice for the consumer.

bloody oath! I just got me 2R0 X25-V :frowning:

Who would’ve guessed that Intel would bring SSD technology to the masses? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be waiting to see what the prices are really like.
Some have said that 25nm is much less expensive to make compared to 34nm, 50nm. I don’t doubt that, but from what I have heard, 25nm will have lower Pe values , typically 3000 cycles, and that will mean more NAND provisioning is required.

You could end up having 128GB of NAND to provide 80GB of user space, so more NAND chips will be required compared to 34nm NAND.
Prices may not be as attractive as many people think.

For Lyndonvale, I’ve heard they will be using eMLC NAND (enterprise grade MLC) which will have a Pe value of 20,000 cycles. I guess this NAND wont be cheap to produce.

SandForce are already using 20nm NAND in a new product. I’ll bring you more on that later. :wink:

Intriguing, thanks for sharing your insights…
What are Pe values exactly? :slight_smile:

[I]
SandForce are already using 20nm NAND in a new product. I’ll bring you more on that later.[/I]

Oh so they’re not sitting idly by & letting the big boys reclaim the lead for a while?
Good on em, I look forward to hearing more about this!

Photo-Electrovoltaic?
Portable Executable?
Physical Education?
Preinstalled Environment?
Precision Error?

What do you mean … sitting idly by and letting the “BIG BOYS” reclaim the lead.
It’s hard to think of any silicon companies bigger than intel.

Intel is so big, it can afford to subsidise their CPU’s to price competitors out of the OEM market … illegally if required.

Intel is who I meant by “big boys”

Sorry, Pe (program, erase) = write cycles.

BTW: I think the 20nm NAND is from Toshiba/Samsung, but I need to check.

I only hope that they will find a way to drop the price without lowering the capacity of the hard drive.

[QUOTE=Dee;2538836]Sorry, Pe (program, erase) = write cycles.

BTW: I think the 20nm NAND is from Toshiba/Samsung, but I need to check.[/QUOTE]

Ah write cycles, clearer now, thanks.
Oh yeah, I wasn’t thinking sandforce would be fabbing the actual NAND.
Please keep us in the loop, you rock!

[QUOTE=vroom;2538842]I only hope that they will find a way to drop the price without lowering the capacity of the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Definitely!
And I hope Dee’s earlier assertions about lower PE for 25NM NAND, don’t prove to be correct!

[QUOTE=jalyst;2538866]Definitely!
And I hope Dee’s earlier assertions about lower PE for 25NM NAND, don’t prove to be correct![/QUOTE]Unfortunately it’s down to physics. If you shrink the NAND you also shrink the write cycles.
You can get around this but the cost is prohibitive.

As a rough guide for MLC NAND
50nm = 10,000 cycles
34nm = 5,000 cycles
25nm = 3,000 cycles, but could be as low as 1,500 cycles

Another way, and the one that SandForce uses, are new ways of bringing down write amplification. SandForce uses a technology they call DuraClass, which compresses data before it’s written to NAND, and also employs very smart garbage collection algorithms.

I don’t think Intel will use compression, but let’s wait and see.

Thanks Dee for the update :clap: :iagree:

Good News :clap:
it is better read & write speed than Gen 2 Intel SSD ?

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2538993]Good News :clap:
it is better read & write speed than Gen 2 Intel SSD ?[/QUOTE]According to Intel, yes performance is enhanced.

Intel G3 250MB read and 170MB Write :clap:
2011 Q1 Intel [B]G3 SSD ( with Powerful SandForce controller ) and I7 - 990X ( 6 Core / 3.46Ghz )[/B] :clap:
more info here
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3965/intels-3rd-generation-x25m-ssd-specs-revealed