Intel reveals new entry-level Optane 800P series SSDs

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/intel-reveals-new-entry-level-optane-800p-series-ssds-83412/

Intel has announced a new series of Optane SSDs at CES 2018. In Las Vegas, the chip giant revealed the 800P Optane SSDs that are positioned between the Optane Memory caching modules and the Intel Optane 900P SSDs.

Isn’t that Optane thing 1000 times faster? (which would allow instant hibernation instead of power-hungry stand-by. And the best swap/paing memory.)
So what are disadvantages except price?

I use the Optane 900P as an OS/boot drive and it has made a significant difference in responsiveness of my system versus the Samsung 950 EVO I had been using. Once prices come down some I will look at other uses. It’s fast and durable, just pricey at the moment.

I see.
How long do the Optanes last?
Writing cycles? Lifespan?

How long does it keep the data integrity, if power supply is missing?

Endurance is 10 writes per day for 5 Years. In my case I have the 280GB model so thats 5.11PB. Pretty insane if you ask me. As for pulling the power it writes instantly so it is actually more resilient on power loss than any conventional NAND based SSD.

The latency is what is amazing. It is 10 microseconds for writes. A Samsung 960 Pro is over 100.

Very interesting.
A normal SSD has 10 PB usually.
Maybe dependent on storage capacity.

Hardly. The 960 Pro 2TB model is rated at 1.2PB and that is high for the industry.

10PB is eytreme much. Maybe some SLC can do that, but I guess no manufacturer will guarantee this.

However, I have some 120/128GB-SSDs which have written about 50TB, and even a power user will need much time to write so much

I am going to put a 1TB stick of 900P in my new 8700K build. First I have to find a Asus Strix 1080Ti ROG Edition GPU, they are very hard to find at the moment, most probably because of crypto miners.

I’m curious.
What type of storage workload do you have that generates enough low queue depth I/O’s for you to be able to feel the difference between an Optane 900P over even a fast SATA SSD?

For me it is most notable in Chrome. Especially on certain webpages such as AVSforum. I can also see it most everywhere in Windows though with the most basic of tasks. Everything is much snappier now. Not that that Samsung was a slog, but the difference is immediately tangible.

It’s also the only reason I would recommend it as an OS drive. For pretty much anything else I think the difference would be imperceptible.

Simple fact, the 900P provides the same latency regardless of queue depth.