Intel Quark Chip details revealed

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Intel Quark Chip details revealed[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/12/Intel-Thumbnail.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/intel-quark-chip-details-revealed-69072/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Arm is releasing 64bit chips, and Intel are introducing new 32b chips. Awesome.

Indeed, in this day and age where ram is getting larger, and capabilities better, this chip may only be suitable for light duties, like the basic accessories, as a slave to the real brains of the operation.

TBH I think that’s basically their intention as they want it to be as small and low energy consuming as possible.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=debro;2702957]Arm is releasing 64bit chips, and Intel are introducing new 32b chips. Awesome.

Indeed, in this day and age where ram is getting larger, and capabilities better, this chip may only be suitable for light duties, like the basic accessories, as a slave to the real brains of the operation.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like Samsung’s Exynos 6 based on either 20nm or 14nm process. Since it will support more than 4GB RAM, mobile apps on the first Exynos 6-based devices will get much bigger.

I sure hope it doesn’t have some anti-trustzone BS. Anti-piracy in a chip is even bigger B$ than software anti-piracy.

Intel’s not going to be satisfied until they buy out ARM… then they can try to jack up the price of tablets & cellphones. After-all, it seemed to work for decades on the desktop market…

These days, desktop CPU’s see vastly MINIMAL processing power improvements and yet these chips can go upwards of $1500 for just the top of the line chip (not including the several of the other parts you need to make a system complete).

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2703205]Intel’s not going to be satisfied until they buy out ARM… then they can try to jack up the price of tablets & cellphones. After-all, it seemed to work for decades on the desktop market…

These days, desktop CPU’s see vastly MINIMAL processing power improvements and yet these chips can go upwards of $1500 for just the top of the line chip (not including the several of the other parts you need to make a system complete).[/QUOTE]

Get one of the Celeron processors. They are very fast and very cheap. Haswell Pentium costs just US$60.

I would like to have the option to order ARM architecture-based CPU like Samsung’s Exynos 6 to build my own Surface RT-like tablet PC.

The difference between most x86(/64) processors and ARM is that the latter can run operations for 4 - 16 hours on batteries while regular CPUs need higher power requirements. Most laptops whether its with HDD or SSD will only run 4 - 8 hours. Some cpu’s utilize 140 - 200 watts of power under extreme usage. That’s not sustainable on Li-Ion batteries.

The 140-200W CPUs don’t get put in laptops. Heck, they’re not even in desktops anymore.