Intel P67/H67/Z68 and Sandy Bridge CPU

vbimport

The Intel P67 chipset and the Sandy Bridge (2nd generation Core i3,i5,i7) CPU are only about one month away.

P67 will have native SATA 6Gbps support, but will rely on NEC to provide USB3 support.

Who has plans to update/upgrade to the new P67 motherboard, and Sandy Bridge CPU?

NO plans for any updates, my i5 is already very fast.

You can add “I will update after I see the performance reviews from SB and AMD Bulldozer” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still on Conroe so an update is badly needed. Just checking now it looks like Intels new toys will be out before AMD’s which is scheduled for Q2 2011, and they are known to be late to the party.

Users of Core i3,i5,i7 won’t see huge performance increases with SB though.

My six core AMD rig is going to have to last me a while, so no plans to update anytime soon.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2560725]My six core AMD rig is going to have to last me a while, so no plans to update anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

6-core…man I got 4-core and like to go 6-core sometime this X-mas… :confused:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2560725]My six core AMD rig is going to have to last me a while, so no plans to update anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I just did the major upgrade to the AMD X6 1090T 6 core CPU along with
Corsair H70 water cooling new case new power supply etc. etc. so it’s likely no more
major upgrades in my future not right away anyhow but maybe a SSD later on though. :iagree:

Have some pics of the upgrade in my system specs link below

No upgrade for me. I quit living on the “cutting edge” of technology a long time ago. It makes you wallet bleed too much, IMO. I got a Q8300 for $89 a couple weeks ago, overclocked it to 3.8ghz and it will let me use my old socket 775/DDR3 system for at least another 1-2 years. By then, today’s “cutting edge” will be very affordable. :wink:

I did Yes i have plans to update as soon as the new platform becomes available
but I change plan again to I have no plans to update P67 Sandy Bridge :bigsmile:
keep on price watching I7-970 & 980X and go to I7-990X first
AMD Bulldozer ? is it 8 Core ? and Clock speed ?

Just upgraded to a X58 socket 1366 mobo with an i7-950 CPU because prices came finally within my range…:bigsmile:…so it will take a while b4 I’ll jump on the Intel P67 bandwagon…:iagree:
But fortunually,I already have SATA 6Gbps and USB3 support on this upgrade…:bow:

Because of my wallet seems not agreeing with me about buying an i7 system anytime soon, probably I’ll be able to buy something only when prices of Sandy Bridge will be affordable :bigsmile:

I got all those in my MSI 870A- G45 AMD motherboard I purchased last January. And as for Intel chips, I laugh at your waste of money which could purchase roughly a 60 GB SSD drive between a top end AMD chip and a mid-range Intel. Glad to see AMD taking the lead in motherboard design back from Intel. That’s what your anti-trust dollars got you, playing catchup to your inferior rival chipmaker.

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2560751]I did Yes i have plans to update as soon as the new platform becomes available
but I change plan again to I have no plans to update P67 Sandy Bridge :bigsmile:
keep on price watching I7-970 & 980X and go to I7-990X first
AMD Bulldozer ? is it 8 Core ? and Clock speed ?[/QUOTE]

No info on clock speed, but thats not important because its a new architecture and the actual performance with real tasks needs to be measured. But for servers there will be 16-core cpu’s on socket G34. For desktop users there will be 4/6/8 core cpu’s on socket AM3+.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2560938]No info on clock speed, but thats not important because its a new architecture and the actual performance with real tasks needs to be measured. But for servers there will be 16-core cpu’s on socket G34. For desktop users there will be 4/6/8 core cpu’s on socket AM3+.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info eric93se :slight_smile:
8 core and [B]16 core[/B] :clap: … Nice and very interesting
Next year plans to built Ultimate Crazy S****D High End PC :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=trust2112;2560937]I got all those in my MSI 870A- G45 AMD motherboard I purchased last January. And as for Intel chips, I laugh at your waste of money which could purchase roughly a 60 GB SSD drive between a top end AMD chip and a mid-range Intel. Glad to see AMD taking the lead in motherboard design back from Intel. That’s what your anti-trust dollars got you, playing catchup to your inferior rival chipmaker.[/QUOTE]:bigsmile:
Depends what you want to do with your PC. :wink:
Intel does it better for what I use my PC for. As for SATA3, does the AMD solution provide TRIM for those SSDs?

If AMD suites your needs better then fine, but do try and take a more balanced view on things. :wink:

QUOTE=Dee;2560947 does the AMD solution provide TRIM for those SSDs?[/QUOTE]Is TRIM support depending on the chipset hardware, or is that more or less a matter of the drivers?

Seems as if TRIM is supported with MS standard drivers. No problem then.

Michael

The complete ATA stack has to allow the TRIM command to pass through, So most hardware will be fine, but drivers very often don’t allow the TRIM command to pass through. MS default ones do, as does Intel RST 9 and 10.

For me right now my 4 core works well for games and my GPU is already GTX460 OC so I don’t need to go high CPU anytime soon. Plus most if not many people will never fully use their CPU and GPU unless they are a hardcore gamers of which most just use to browse the internet and watch movies. Those features will never fully utilize the CPU and GPU feature to any larger extend then browse word processing… So all that money spent did nothing in the end expect drain your funds for money that could be spent on memory and HDD or SDD expansion that would more benefit the enduser instead. I might go 6-core and go from 4G to 8G and that will be the extend of it. My funds have to go for other more pressing issues… Car payments…

Well if it is coming out in q2 of 2011 I may now seeing there is something new on the horizon but I will wait just a tad bit on hardware like the mobo/cpu/ram as with time it becomes more mature and such.

Personally I’m not that fussy about the Sandy Bridge CPU as I’m very happy with my i5 750, but I am very interested in the P67 chipset. Unfortunately Intel have changed the CPU socket for SB, from the present 1156 to 1155, and they are not compatible. To say I’m annoyed about the change of socket is an understatement. :slight_smile:

However, P67 will bring native SATA 6Gbps support, and I would like to be able to review some new SATA 6Gbps SSDs that will arrive around the same time as SB/P67, and manufacturers will expect these SSDs to be reviewed on a native SATA 6Gbps motherboard.

P67 will also bring proper PCIe2 support for the PCH (P67), which is lacking in P55, and also DMI bandwidth is twice the rate from P55.

So i guess I will update this time, and hope that Intel keep socket 1155 for a few years. :slight_smile:
I have been saving up since August and resisting all temptation to buy new shoes, so this update better be worth it. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Dee;2561252]
I have been saving up since August and resisting all temptation to buy new shoes, so this update better be worth it. :D[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t sound like the easiest thing to do if you are a woman.