Intel officially shows SSD overclocing – 22% improvement

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Intel officially shows SSD overclocing – 22% improvement[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/10/myceintelssd.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/intel-officially-shows-ssd-overclocing-22-improvement-68624/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Darn. Not even close to 50%.

Actually, 22% is pretty impressive. I was thinking more of between 10% and 15%.

The down side is. I was thinking that all Intel SSDs might be supported by an overclock, but I kind of looks like only Intel SSDs with Intel’s own SSD controller can be overclocked in this way.

22% is brilliant when you consider that it’s for free!

[B]Wombler[/B]

22% is a nice increase. But considering that in a desktop usage scenario you can’t tell the difference between any of the high end SSDs, this 22% seems more like a braging thing than actual speedup that can be seen.

Also (and I’ve been and O/Cer since the days of Celeron 300A) I’m not sure I’d want to overclock the thing that holds all my data (although I back it up daily). I’ve never messed with the PCI (earlier) and PCI-E frequencies for that specific reason. The number one priority when it comes to storage is reliablity.

Its just another gimmick to sell SSDs for more money. This is like Samsung using TLC nand but letting you use " Rapid Mode" to speed up the SSD. Another gimmick. SSDs are plenty fast enough for me, and to be really honest in a real life scenario, I don’t notice the difference at all, maybe the computer boots faster but I only boot my computer maybe once a week.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2698268]Its just another gimmick to sell SSDs for more money. This is like Samsung using TLC nand but letting you use " Rapid Mode" to speed up the SSD. Another gimmick. SSDs are plenty fast enough for me, and to be really honest in a real life scenario, I don’t notice the difference at all, maybe the computer boots faster but I only boot my computer maybe once a week.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Unless it makes a significant, noticeable difference in day to day use I’m confused why anyone needs it. I’d rather see them reduce the price than waste time on things like this.

[QUOTE=thunderstruck666;2698395]Unless it makes a significant, noticeable difference in day to day use I’m confused why anyone needs it. I’d rather see them reduce the price than waste time on things like this.[/QUOTE]
I tend to agree after seeing what other people thought of this new angle, it may be fun for a bit to see how fast the benchmark is but in real life, its fast enough and I would like my investment to last awhile also. I am not saying that people who really like this sort of fun shouldn’t buy them, just for me, I like quality over speed ( if the speed if fast to being with). Its all good.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2698268]Its just another gimmick to sell SSDs for more money. This is like Samsung using TLC nand but letting you use " Rapid Mode" to speed up the SSD. Another gimmick. SSDs are plenty fast enough for me, and to be really honest in a real life scenario, I don’t notice the difference at all, maybe the computer boots faster but I only boot my computer maybe once a week.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

There are some differences everyone can notice while browising MyCE forum pages between most of the early-generation 16GB and 32GB SLC and MLC SSD drives and Samsung’s latest 840 EVO. I noticed 840 EVO 120GB is much faster than Mtron’s 16GB SLC drive. The latter was once one of the fastest consumer drives.

It’s always good to go back in history by a few years, and then 10 years, and then 20 years. Storage Review, once one of the world’s most prestigious storage sites, held hundreds of thousands of posts by so-called experts and power users extremely stubbornly insisting on the differences between some of the most expensive consumer and enterprise SCSI HDD drives and nearly “generic” (E)IDE and SATA drives. The “real-world” performance differences nearly always tended to be negligibly tiny. Price differences were on an astronomical scale even for so-called early adopters and self-styled power users.

Most times, the same kind of people chose to ignore very noticeable performance differences between SSDs and HDDs and among different generations of SSDs. At the very same time, newer and faster SSDs were being introduced at radically reduced prices.

History has always taught us people praise overpriced products made by incompetent people while ridiculing inexpensive ones made by daring visionaries. It happens to a lot of the most proud computer users.

A great portion of the computer and electronics industries worldwide is about ideology and cosmetics. And both are more about ego than anything else.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2698539]…people praise overpriced products made by incompetent people while ridiculing inexpensive ones made by daring visionaries…[/QUOTE]
:bow:

But at least we get paid more to praise the overpriced stuff!

Er, we WANT to get paid more…

But at least we get paid more to praise the overpriced stuff!

Er, we WANT to get paid more…[/QUOTE]

Thanks God not many would be willingly pay 2x to 10x more for Plextor SSDs.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2698660]Thanks God not many would be willingly pay 2x to 10x more for Plextor SSDs.[/QUOTE]It’s funny you mention that… link

I wonder what they’re rebadging these days… :confused:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2698671]It’s funny you mention that… link

I wonder what they’re rebadging these days… :confused:[/QUOTE]

Plextor doesn’t rebadge any SSD’s as far as i know, the use quality components from other manufacturers, NAND from Toshiba and the Marvel controller, but the have control over the firmware and this can make a lot of different.
To be honest only very few manufacturers can have total control over their products, and only samsung does this as far as i can remember. Also the cost of research and development is huge, i think that was the reason back in the day that made YAMAHA not to have any DVD burners, and later on plextor not to have a BD burner, just a few examples of how costly innovation can be, and why some choose a different way.

[QUOTE=vroom;2698690]Plextor doesn’t rebadge any SSD’s as far as i know, the use quality components from other manufacturers, NAND from Toshiba and the Marvel controller, but the have control over the firmware and this can make a lot of different.[/QUOTE]Can, but doesn’t necessarily mean it will. Typically the all the drives with the same controller basically have the same performance. I suspect most manufacturers don’t stray too far from the reference firmware provided by the controller manufacturer. Frankly, that’s probably a good thing since I doubt most of these companies have the expertise to make intelligent and robust changes to the firmware.

Most SSD drives sold today are OEM, not retail. Whether Plextor makes their own firmware is indeed very insignificant. That it uses Toshiba’s latest NAND chips is significant.

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=851&pagenumber=11