Intel Officially Launches Thunderbolt Technology

vbimport

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/02/24/thunderbolt-technology-the-fastest-data-connection-to-your-pc-just-arrived?cid=rss-258152-c1-264729

Wow!
Thunderboltat 10Gbps is almost 60% of the speed of [Displayport](17.28 Gbit/s)1.2, and a full 3.5% slower than [HDMI](10.2 Gbit/s)1.3/1.4 :iagree:

Wow! I’m so impressed, I’m rushing out to replace my PS3, Bluray Player, Home Theater system, my 2x HDTV’s, my 3x PC LCD monitors, all my HDMI & HDMI/DVI cables, two laptops, 3 PC’s, USB HDD enclosures, printers, scanners and flash drives to get Thunderbolt/Lightpeak models right now!!!

I’m sooooo over HDMI and Displayport! With Lightpeak/Thunderbolt operating slower, and adding no benefits at all over HDMI & displayport technology, I just can’t wait for inferior proprietary thunderbolt technology to steamroll the superior open standard technology.

Open technology sucks so badly, and everyone hates it :iagree:

/me bows to our new A/V overlords, Intel :iagree:
On your knees, serf!

On the serious side, I foresee a large market in Thunderbolt/ligthpeak to USB adapters, and Thunderbolt/lightpeak to HDMI/Displayport Adapters, especially in the I’m an idiot and can’t use a real PC, apple mac segment.

I don’t really see this standing much of a chance against USB3.0, unless motherboard makers decide all the sudden to use Thunderbolt ports instead of USB3.0 ports. For example, Firewire 800 had very little impact despite being about twice as fast as USB2.0 and coming out long before USB3.0.

Sure, Thunderbolt may be twice as fast as USB3.0, but it is also not backwards compatible or vice versa. E.g. try plugging a USB pen drive into a Thunderbolt port or even a Thunderbolt device into a legacy USB port. :slight_smile:

Even with display connectivity, I don’t see any problem connecting my monitor up by HDMI or DVI. In fact, all modern HDTV sets have HDMI and many TVs will work fine on a PC with a DVI to HDMI adapter. However, how many of them will hook up to a DisplayPort (or this Thunderbolt port), without requiring a special pricey converter box?

However, I would be curious to see someone come out with an “All-in-one” external HDD, with USB3, eSATA, Firewire and Thunderbolt connectivity. Better still would be to watch a novice connect all four cables… :bigsmile:

Yes, very new this 10GB connection.

Thunderboltâ„¢ technology is a new high-speed PC connection technology that runs at 10Gbps.

Intels 10GB NIC ships in May 2008

[QUOTE=Seán;2577083]I don’t really see this standing much of a chance against USB3.0, unless motherboard makers decide all the sudden to use Thunderbolt ports instead of USB3.0 ports. For example, Firewire 800 had very little impact despite being about twice as fast as USB2.0 and coming out long before USB3.0.[/QUOTE]

Well, motherboard makers are basically Intel (at least for Intel processors) now, right? … and the presence of Light Peak doesn’t preclude the presence of USB 3.

OTOH, USB seems to lose a lot at each interconnect juncture, and seems to really be host-intensive.

They’re talking 100Gb/sec in the optical version, and it’s a better interconnect speed than FW800.

Plus, since Apple isn’t getting royalties from this one maybe someone other than Sony will actually put ports on their boxen …

The new MacBook Pro is the first to include ThnderBolt

[QUOTE=debro;2577022]On the serious side, I foresee a large market in Thunderbolt/ligthpeak to USB adapters, and Thunderbolt/lightpeak to HDMI/Displayport Adapters, especially in the I’m an idiot and can’t use a real PC, apple mac segment.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Whappo;2577156]The new MacBook Pro is the first to include ThnderBolt

/me suspect intel is trying to unite the I.T. world (external HDD’s, internal HDD’s, external A/V devices, printers, scanners & etc) with a single port :iagree:

Intel for world pres … err … Thunderbolt for world interconnecting technology!

PC world posted a FAQ on Thunderbolt.

The main areas it looks like it will be targeting include replacing the DisplayPort and for hooking up fast storage arrays, such as multiple hard disks or SSDs in RAID for HD video editing. Daisy chaining is suppose to be another feature, much like how Firewire devices use to have two ports for daisy chaining.

Sure enough, there are going to be Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 and Firewire adapters. However, for now this technology seems to be targeted at the Mac.

While I can’t see this having any effect on USB any time soon, this is probably going to kill off Firewire.