Intel launches 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs using "3D transistors"

vbimport

I just posted the article Intel launches 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs using “3D transistors”.

Intel is releasing the world’s first 22nm product, its Ivy Bridge series which claims to deliver 20% more processor performance, using a 20% less average power. The initial release includes 13 quad-core CPUs, mainly targeted at the desktop market, with dual-core CPUs expected to be announced later in the spring.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intel-launches-22nm-ivy-bridge-cpus-using-3d-transistors-61360/](http://www.myce.com/news/intel-launches-22nm-ivy-bridge-cpus-using-3d-transistors-61360/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m probably going to pick up a 3770K next week.
It’s going to be a challenge overclocking these CPU’s as they don’t like high voltages.
Anything above 1.3 volts appears to send the core temps rocketing.

leakage approaching zero makes these significantly more power efficient than any other other cpus on the market.

expanding production to 4 fabs means intel are taking a giant punt that these are going to be popular.

amd had better get moving if they want to stay relevant.

Yeah, time to upgrade my PC. Probably get the 3770K.
AMD CPUs = R.I.P. (their GPUs still kick ass)

[QUOTE=Dee;2631819]I’m probably going to pick up a 3770K next week.
It’s going to be a challenge overclocking these CPU’s as they don’t like high voltages.
Anything above 1.3 volts appears to send the core temps rocketing.[/QUOTE]

They dont even sell them in the USA yet. I have been checking all the usual places.

[QUOTE=Dee;2631819]I’m probably going to pick up a 3770K next week.
Anything above 1.3 volts appears to send the core temps rocketing.[/QUOTE]

But unfortunately for the masses they can’t afford a price like that and justifying buying something and getting not much in return is just a lot of wasted money for some that right now can do the same for less. That is the part alot of people forget when buying the latest gadget and then doing the very same thing they could do on a lesser Intel cpu give Intel more money but no much in returns for the same thing they do on their computer…ie browsing the net, watching youtube, facebook, twitter…all those that a quad, 6-core or 8-core doesn’t really get their full potential to be used. But alot of their money potential is wasted.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2632158]…all those that a quad, 6-core or 8-core doesn’t really get their full potential to be used. But alot of their money potential is wasted.[/QUOTE]
And energy … unless you live in a cold place …

More to the point … given that 90% of the time the vast majority of the population actually spends on a computer is surfing the internet, emailing, writing word documents, watching videos, listening to music … just how much speed do you need?

The average person doesn’t rip their blu-rays & convert them to i-Format … that might be 5% of the population … the rest just buy something off itunes …

I replaced the mobo & CPU in my desktop PC about 2 years ago with a quad core AMD and a miniATX PC with intention to eventually use the mobo for a HTPC and put a low power AMD chip in it … but then, it turned out that a few months later, AMD released much better HTPC friendly cpu & mini-ITX mobo combo that’s much cheaper to run, and not much more expensive, and much smaller.

I don’t need the desktop, except as a place to stick an updated video card to play newer games, when I find one that actually motivates me to upgrade my 5 year old HD2900 :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=debro;2632174]And energy … unless you live in a cold place …

More to the point … given that 90% of the time the vast majority of the population actually spends on a computer is surfing the internet, emailing, writing word documents, watching videos, listening to music … just how much speed do you need?

The average person doesn’t rip their blu-rays & convert them to i-Format … that might be 5% of the population … the rest just buy something off itunes …[/QUOTE]

That is the unfortunate truth they get the latest gadgets and do the very same activities they did before and waste alot of cpu to do the same task they did before and not really utilizing all the cpu potential it has to offer. But the newer CPU are already better power save compared to their older counter parts ie Pentium and AMD so the current lines won’t give power saving with current CPU lines that most will notice much and you be paying preminum instead for just having the CPU and what they don’t don’t reap much benefit. That percentage might be even less then 5% that really push the benefits of the CPU. Gamers are a different breed as they are the hardcore and those are the ones that have most to benefit and push the hardware to the limits or break the hardware that won’t handle it.

[QUOTE=debro;2632174]I replaced the mobo & CPU in my desktop PC about 2 years ago with a quad core AMD and a miniATX PC with intention to eventually use the mobo for a HTPC and put a low power AMD chip in it … but then, it turned out that a few months later, AMD released much better HTPC friendly cpu & mini-ITX mobo combo that’s much cheaper to run, and not much more expensive, and much smaller.

I don’t need the desktop, except as a place to stick an updated video card to play newer games, when I find one that actually motivates me to upgrade my 5 year old HD2900 :p[/QUOTE]

I still have a desktop as my main computer but my motherboard and system I built in 2007 with updated HDD to be desktop and NAS with the only big upgrade was a GPU but otherwise it still will handle most games I currently own. As for new games well they don’t stimulate as my older RPG games did and only a couple of new one would interest me to get a newer GPU but that will be the extend of upgrade. The motherboard will get upgraded eventually but since it runs and works still that stay as is.

Hmm… so now I hear Ivy Bridge chips suck at overclocking. They get so hot you could brand cattle with them. I guess it doesn’t make a big difference since I don’t plan on overclocking, but still…