Intel introduces cheap new SSD's

vbimport

Intel introduces cheap new SSD’s.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intel-introduces-cheap-new-ssds-61294/](http://www.myce.com/news/intel-introduces-cheap-new-ssds-61294/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nice pricing. Looking forward to your testing these.

Just like OCZ with their Vertex and Agility lines - Intel uses the same controller in their 520 and the 330 series, also a Sandforce.

OCZ’s newest, the Vertex 4, uses a Marvell controller with custom Indilinx firmware.

Intel’s use of Sandforce controllers may make or break Sandforce. OCZ has just about poisoned the well with their Sandforce based SSD’s. There are many who won’t buy drives using those controllers simply because of their past association with OCZ and their failing drives. Intel’s custom firmware is proving to be pretty good, but many avoid their 520 (Sandforce) drive and continue to buy the Intel 510 or 320 lines instead.

I haven’t considered Intel very seriously simply because of their cost. And even these new ones are just approaching the price of the Crucial M4.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2630857]OCZ’s newest, the Vertex 4, uses a Marvell controller with custom Indilinx firmware.

Intel’s use of Sandforce controllers may make or break Sandforce. OCZ has just about poisoned the well with their Sandforce based SSD’s. There are many who won’t buy drives using those controllers simply because of their past association with OCZ and their failing drives. Intel’s custom firmware is proving to be pretty good, but many avoid their 520 (Sandforce) drive and continue to buy the Intel 510 or 320 lines instead.

I haven’t considered Intel very seriously simply because of their cost. And even these new ones are just approaching the price of the Crucial M4.[/QUOTE]

The good news is that the sandforce issue was fixed a few months back with a firmware update.

Give me a break… “CHEAP” and “SSD” have not been able to be in the same sentence for ANY SSD products. There will be more potential to SDXC cards to be cheaper than SSD drives. Get back to “cheap” when they break the $1 per GB the way SD cards have… BARELY!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2630857]OCZ’s newest, the Vertex 4, uses a Marvell controller with custom Indilinx firmware.

I haven’t considered Intel very seriously simply because of their cost. And even these new ones are just approaching the price of the Crucial M4.[/QUOTE]I think I should set the record straight here.
Despite what you may have read on other sites, the facts are these, regarding the OCZ Vertex 4.

The OCZ Vertex 4 uses a CUSTOM and proprietary Marvell controller, but the firmware is 100% Indilinx.

Regarding the SandForce SF series SSD controllers, and specifically the OCZ Vertex 3.
OCZ were first to market with an SF-2281 processor, a processor that clearly hadn’t been fully validated by SandForce. So naturally OCZ took the brunt of the flac. OCZ also sells more SF based SSDs than all the rest of them put together, so again put themselves in the firing line.

The SF BSOD problem was fixed months ago. That doesn’t mean that no one is having a problem. But then again, a quick google on Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Samsung, Intel, with BSOD added to the search will bring up multiple results of people having problems of one sort or another.

To single out just one company is wrong.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading regarding user reports and ssd’s. The vitriol directed towards OCZ is easily seen in the various hardware forums. More so than towards any other ssd manufacturer, though Corsair has been the target with a fair amount.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2631036] The vitriol directed towards OCZ is easily seen in the various hardware forums. More so than towards any other ssd manufacturer, though Corsair has been the target with a fair amount.[/QUOTE]I think that’s exactly what I would expect to see with the companies that shift the most product. They would certainly be in the firing line for good or bad press.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2631022]Give me a break… “CHEAP” and “SSD” have not been able to be in the same sentence for ANY SSD products. There will be more potential to SDXC cards to be cheaper than SSD drives. Get back to “cheap” when they break the $1 per GB the way SD cards have… BARELY![/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind the SandForce SF-2281 controller, Newegg is selling a couple of Mushkin ssd’s at less than $1 per GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226237

No rebates, no sale price…these are just regular prices for these ssd’s.

To be more specific, it’s usually unlikely to see higher capcities anywhere near $1/gb (above 256gb). What there is in the lower price range are HYBRID ssd/hdd’s…