Intel Haswell CPU & Z87 chipset

My processor came today, that’s the good news, my motherboard came today, ( that’s the bad news) Fed-ex Delivered a package , left it at my door, that was obviously opened and retaped, and the motherboard box was in it and some cables but no motherboard. I immediately called FedEx and the driver came back to my house and admitted that was the way he got it, I told him to retun it asap and called the vendor, they sounded like they didn’t believe me, so I really got mad and demanded to speak to a supervisor, he said he would look into it and get back to me, I have the drivers admission that he delivered a re taped box so I might just be okay.:confused:

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2689558]Thanks - I understand Debro.

Am I right to think that if a cooling solution can dissipate all of the heat generated by the CPU the rate at which heat can be transported then becomes the key factor - and in turn this is where water cooling does have an advantage over a relatively passive heat pipe arrangement.

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]
Yes.
The faster that you can evacuate the heat from the cpu (and hopefully dissipate it), the better. It will maintain a lower temperature for the cpu.

Water cooling systems with a decent reservoir have an advantage, because the water in the reservoir becomes a “buffer”, even if the actual system cannot dissipate heat fast enough. Most people don’t overclock their pcs and leave them running 24/7, so the water in the system has an opportunity to cool down/ return to ambient between use.

I started taking pictures of any expensive computer parts before and then after opening them. I do this because of a PSU that I had to RMA because it didn’t work, most likely in part because they put the PSU in the bottom corner and THEN put the packing material over it.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2689598]I started taking pictures of any expensive computer parts before and then after opening them. I do this because of a PSU that I had to RMA because it didn’t work, most likely in part because they put the PSU in the bottom corner and THEN put the packing material over it.[/QUOTE]
I wound up with a taped empty motherboard box:o

[QUOTE=alan1476;2689599]I wound up with a taped empty motherboard box:o[/QUOTE]

Right. I read that. That’s why I made the comment about taking pictures. Because its a lot harder to argue with a picture in hand. Although if you charged it, you can always dispute the charge if they try to get out of giving you a mobo.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2689605]Right. I read that. That’s why I made the comment about taking pictures. Because its a lot harder to argue with a picture in hand. Although if you charged it, you can always dispute the charge if they try to get out of giving you a mobo.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I charged it to my Paypal account. I called them this morning and they were a bit hesitant but I am not a new customer, over the years its almost embarrassing to admit how much I have spent with them, so they will make this right , I hope.:wink:

Here is my Haswell build.
Everything is at stock speeds.
Storage is now SSD only.

Still to do. Reposition the USB3 front connector for neatness. :slight_smile:

Wendy, I must say, you are a Master Builder, from back in the day of Q9550 CPUs, LGA 776 I think, and our X48 mobos your builds have always been the neatest and cleanest , using all your parts to their absolute potential. Never overkill, but always getting the most out of what you have bought. Your builds are fantastic.:wink:

Nice build Wendy - it looks like one of mine before I’ve started :slight_smile:

The Sabretooth’s cladding makes it look empty. Then no video card(s), No HBA, No TV card or anything… No water tubes… I imagine the air flows through the case like a hurricane.

Nice. Makes me think.

Regds, JR

p.s. yes - please do something with that USB 3 connector - it’s spoiling everything :stuck_out_tongue:

Air flow in the Antec P280 is outstanding, so why spoil it with loads of stuff in the case I wont use? :slight_smile:
Maybe that’s why simple air cooling is all I need. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some initial impressions.
Haswell has a lot more options for overclocking. :eek:

The new Realtek 1150 audio chip is a huge improvement over the older 800 series, and anyone who cares about sound quality may want to consider a board that has the Realtek 1150.

The new Intel I217V Lan on this board is also very strong.

The new Asus Z87 UEFI is also a huge improvement over the Z77 UEFI.

Some temps. Ambient room temp is 24C

Oh dear, I think I’m going down with another bout of PNTU (Pathological Need to Upgrade). I will have to hold you responsible Wendy. The difficult part is finding a new justification for the need (and I’ve used up so many in the past), to explain to She Who Must be Obeyed. The trouble is Sue just doesn’t have any sympathy when I say things like - ‘but I need Thermal Radar’:iagree:

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2689720]Oh dear, I think I’m going down with another bout of PNTU (Pathological Need to Upgrade). I will have to hold you responsible Wendy. The difficult part is finding a new justification for the need (and I’ve used up so many in the past), to explain to She Who Must be Obeyed. The trouble is Sue just doesn’t have any sympathy when I say things like - ‘but I need Thermal Radar’:iagree:

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]
JR, I have a 2600K build , a 2700K build, a 3770K build and a 3960X build in my house, and my son has the Z68 with the 2600K at school. Now I have to build a 4770K, yes I have PNTU also.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

It looks like I got a nice chip. :bow:
A quick overclock to 4.4GHz, with an offset vcore of only +0.015V, using the new offset adaptive method.
At full load (not shown) vcore reaches 1.113V, and max core temp was 64C.

BTW: I fitted the TUF 30mm fan, and quickly removed it again. It spoiled what is an almost silent PC.

Wendy, if you have some free time can you compare the z87 and the z77 intel USB3 ports?
Only the intel ones, i dont care about the rest of chipsets.

The Z87 board I have only has Intel USB3 (six ports) 4 at the back, and 2 front case headers.
Also, most Asus Z77 and Z87 boards support USB3 UASP mode. I’m not sure if any other manufacturers boards support this.

Anyway.
Pic 1 = Anvils on Z77 UASP mode.
Pic 2 = Anvils on Z87 UASP mode.
Pic 3 = ATTO on Z87 UASP mode.

That’s is awesome for USB 3 throughput, I almost cant believe it, if it wasn’t you posting this I wouldn’t believe it.:bigsmile::bigsmile::wink:

Thank you Wendy, this results was exactly what i needed to know.

I’ve made a few changes since my last post. Basically they were forced changes.

Haswell gets hot. I don’t know if its the architecture, the increased component count, the integrated VRM’s, or the 4 extra GPU cores, but this CPU runs hot.

Yesterday we had a hottest day of the year so far, and ambient temps in the room were at 29c. I was encoding a very large HD video stream, and watched the temps rise, slowly, but forever rising until the cores were reaching more than 80c. By the end of the encode the cores were touching 84c. This is still within spec, but far to hot for my liking.

A more substantial cooler was called for. Water is out for me, It’s a personal thing, but I just don’t want water cooling.

In the end, I went for high end air cooling in the form of the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2. It’s perhaps a cooler you haven’t heard of, but its as highly regarded as the Noctua NH-D14, and the ThermalRight Silver Arrow, and it’s quieter than both.

I also invested in some Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Liquid Metal thermal paste.

I also had a brain wave. :slight_smile:
The Asus Z87 Sabertooth is supplied with 3 additional thermal sensors, which you can attach to pins on the motherboard, then attach the sensor itself to a component to monitor its temperature.

Anyway, I ran the sensor outside the case, and have it measuring the ambient temperature of the room, and have it displayed in the Asus thermal monitoring software.

Anyway, I now has Haswell’s heat under control. :slight_smile:

Lord have mercy Wendy, talk about lowering the temps. You have them lower than my Swiftech H320 water loop. I can only compare as I do not have my 4770K in a machine as of yet. But comparing to the hot 3770K you have done wonders. I am also wondering how much this new TIM you are using is responsible for the vastly lower temps.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2690493]Lord have mercy Wendy, talk about lowering the temps. You have them lower than my Swiftech H320 water loop. I can only compare as I do not have my 4770K in a machine as of yet. But comparing to the hot 3770K you have done wonders. I am also wondering how much this new TIM you are using is responsible for the vastly lower temps.[/QUOTE]

It depends on who does the testing and what system it is for one thing. There are several reports that basically show that the top 20-25 TIM’s are within 1-5oC of each other:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1064/ARCTIC-COOLING-MX-4-Thermal-Compound-Review/3#axzz2RRJ7Ez4D

I have not seen a in depth test between Liquid Pro and the other Top 20-25 TIM’s, so I don’t really know if Liquid Pro is really that much better than the others or not.

All this being said, there are guys who delidded their 3770K’s and replaced the crappy Intel paste with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro saw a 15-20oC drop in CPU temps when OC’ing to 4.7Ghz below what others had seen when replacing the stock Intel paste with AS5, Prolimatech PK-1, or other TIM’s.