Intel Haswell CPU & Z87 chipset

vbimport

The NDA on the Intel Haswell CPU, and the Intel Z87 chipset is now lifted.
Reviews of the new CPU and chipset should now be appearing around the internet, right now. :slight_smile:

Anyone got plans for upgrading to this new platform?

[QUOTE=Dee;2689096]The NDA on the Intel Haswell CPU, and the Intel Z87 chipset is now lifted.
Reviews of the new CPU and chipset should now be appearing around the internet, right now. :slight_smile:

Anyone got plans for upgrading to this new platform?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but I am very disappointed they did away with the PCI slot. Only PCI-E now. Other than that I cant wait to hook up every one my Intel 6.0 SATA ports.:wink:

Maybe, but first i will wait to see what the first beta users have to say about them.

Hi Wendy,

I hear some folks will be holding off until the C2 stepping chipset is released which should be toward the end of the summer. I understand this will fix the sleep issue the C1 stepping has, although now it is claimed to happen when only certain USB3 devices are connected (I quote Praz :slight_smile: )

I will probably hold off for a while - partly because of the above but also because I’m very happy with Z77 and I purchased a potent LSI 9207 8i HBA not so long ago, so no longer yearn for the extra 6GBs Sata ports.

Knowing me though I may give way to my upgrading illness and end up jumping in…

Whatever, I will stick with an ASUS mobo.

Regds, JR

The Asrock Z87 boards, and the lower end Asus boards have PCI for those who need it. It’s probably made available with a PCIe to PCI bridging chip, which will no doubt add a little bit of latency, and maybe pinch a PCIe lane.

Regarding the USB3 bug, I’ve already tested the USB3 devices that I will be using on a Z87 board, and they all seem fine.

I’ve pretty much decided on a 4770K, but haven’t made up my mind about a motherboard yet.
Three that catch my eye is the Asus Z87 Sabertooth ,Asus Z87 -Expert, and the Z87 Pro.

The Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual looks awesome with its twin Thunderbolt ports, but isn’t available yet, so no price. But I bet its pretty expensive.

I will most probably stick with an ROG board, but I have to look at the lower end Asrock boards also, as they have a PCI lane as you have told me, I didn’t realize it until you said something. I don’t miss a lot of the things they have done away with, but just 1 PCI lane, I need it.

[QUOTE=Dee;2689164]The Asrock Z87 boards, and the lower end Asus boards have PCI for those who need it. It’s probably made available with a PCIe to PCI bridging chip, which will no doubt add a little bit of latency, and maybe pinch a PCIe lane.

Regarding the USB3 bug, I’ve already tested the USB3 devices that I will be using on a Z87 board, and they all seem fine.

I’ve pretty much decided on a 4770K, but haven’t made up my mind about a motherboard yet.
Three that catch my eye is the Asus Z87 Sabertooth ,Asus Z87 -Expert, and the Z87 Pro.

The Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual looks awesome with its twin Thunderbolt ports, but isn’t available yet, so no price. But I bet its pretty expensive.[/QUOTE]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Intel+Haswell+CPU&N=100006519&isNodeId=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=z87+mobo&N=100006519&isNodeId=1&Page=2

We’ve signed up for RAID tests for ASROCK and ASUS, but aren’t certain which versions they’ll send. Version 1.00 won’t be something we’d recommend or push onto clients, but we’ll see how the motherboard-based RAIDs work. Some of the folks will crash a drive and see how the RAIDs handle recovery - the acid test.

The Asrock Professional has 2 X PCI slots, just what I need, I will order on Monday.

I just upgraded to a 3570K and an Asrock Extreme4 so no upgrades are in my immediate future. Anyone that is looking to upgrade and lives near a Microcenter store should check out their CPU prices and CPU/motherboard bundle pricing. They offer the lowest CPU prices I have found but only through retail purchases at their stores. Here’s a link for anyone that is interested: http://microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

I wonder if we’ll see Haswell’s without a built-in GPU? Quite a few of the newly-displayed 1150 motherboards don’t offer built-in graphics abilities - probably the same percentage as Sandy & Ivy Bridge selections - but the percentage of available CPUs-without-Graphics is much smaller.

Is this a matter of “paying for features that can’t be used”, or is Haswell’s GPU providing good services to discreet video-cards?

Placed my order.
Intel 4770K
Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler

@Christine
I don’t use a discrete GPU, but for those that do. These boards support Lucid Virtue, so you can combine the onboard GPU and your discrete GPU like a crossfire setup.

I’m reading up on more of this iteration of the graphics, too.

[QUOTE=Dee;2689262]Placed my order.
Intel 4770K

@Christine
I don’t use a discrete GPU, but for those that do. These boards support Lucid Virtue, so you can combine the onboard GPU and your discrete GPU like a crossfire setup.[/QUOTE]

I love the Sabertooth but I wanted PCI lanes and the Asrock Pro has 2 of them, it also has 10 SATA ports and the Sabertooth only has 8, do you know if both have 6 X Intel ports?

Both boards have 6x native SATA 6Gbps ports.
I could have had an Asus board with 10 SATA 6Gbps ports, but like the AsRock, the 4 additional ports are provided by an AsMedia SATA 6Gbps controller, which are fine for HDD, but not much use for SSDs, and they are not ATAPI compliant, so you can’t use them for optical.

[QUOTE=Dee;2689272]Both boards have 6x native SATA 6Gbps ports.
I could have had an Asus board with 10 SATA 6Gbps ports, but like the AsRock, the 4 additional ports are provided by an AsMedia SATA 6Gbps controller, which are fine for HDD, but not much use for SSDs, and they are not ATAPI compliant, so you can’t use them for optical.[/QUOTE]
My opticals will go on a PCI controller card, so I wont have to worry about using my SATA ports, maybe 1 of the Intel ports for my Bluray drive.:wink:

Not sure if I will already place my order during my next three weeks off end of August / beginning of September or during my winter holiday in December. Might wait for the USB bug to be fixed first, although I almost never put my PC to sleep. Either on or off - most of the time on.

Case will likely be the Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper.

Memory will probably be 2 * ADATA Premier DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL11 (DDR3-1600) (AD3U1600W8G11-2)

CPU will be the Core i7-4770 (without K as having VT-d is more important than overclocking to me)

Still need to decide on the board. The following ones are currently still in the loop:

[ul]
[li]ASUS Z87-Plus
[/li][li]Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
[/li][li]ASRock Z87 Extreme4
[/li][li]ASRock Z87 Extreme6
[/li][/ul]
Let’s see what reviews will say about theses boards. Current favourite is Gigabyte

I really almost went with the Z87 plus, the price is right and its has 2 X PCI Slots. Its 50USD cheaper than the Asrock Board I chose and I love the Yellow accents.:wink:

The ASUS Deluxe and ASRock Extreme 9 Z87boards both look pretty nice. Supposedly the Haswell 4770K has the same IHS paste that was used in the IB chips. So some serious cooling will be necessary unless you feel like delidding and replacing the paste.

[QUOTE=Dee;2689262]Placed my order.
Intel 4770K

@Christine
I don’t use a discrete GPU, but for those that do. These boards support Lucid Virtue, so you can combine the onboard GPU and your discrete GPU like a crossfire setup.[/QUOTE]

Good choice on the mobo - so neat and tidy looking :cool:.

Of course Asus can’t spell - should be sabREtooth.

Have fun m8 :slight_smile:

Regds, JR