Intel delays USB 3.0 chipset until 2012

vbimport

Intel delays USB 3.0 chipset until 2012.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/06/J2tiuv.jpg[/newsimage]Intel announced it will wait an additional year before adopting the newer, faster USB 3.0 format by delaying the format's motherboard chipset.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/intel-delays-usb-3-0-chipset-until-2012-30531/](http://www.myce.com/news/intel-delays-usb-3-0-chipset-until-2012-30531/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Si if you want USB 3.0 just avoid intel motherboards? I was thinking of buying a new computer in the fall. Most of my computers have used gigabyte mobo’s. Suppose I get another gigabyte mobo with an intel cpu? (and chipset).

Actually, this means that Intel core-logic chipsets will not only not natively support USB 3.0, but will also not natively support SATA 6 Gbps, for the foreseeable future. As a result, SATA 6 Gbps and USB 3.0 support will continue to be provided by third-party controllers on Intel chipset-based motherboards.

I smell a vested interest here by Intel in delaying this…

Swines!.

I was planning my next upgrade when I can get a motherboard with USB3 integrated.

First it was to be 2010, then 2011, now 2012.

Someone correct me but aren’t AMD already integrating USB3 to its motherboard south bridge? so there is no reason for the delay.

Lets hope Bulldozer is any good.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2523705]I was planning my next upgrade when I can get a motherboard with USB3 integrated.[/QUOTE] You can get some non-Intel motherboards with integrated USB 3.0 now, even motherboards with Intel chipsets for Intel processors - but the USB 3.0 support is not provided by the Intel chipset itself.

Examples: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Socket 1156 & Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Socket 1156

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2523707]You can get some non-Intel motherboards with integrated USB 3.0 now, even motherboards with Intel chipsets for Intel processors - but the USB 3.0 support is not provided by the Intel chipset itself.

Examples: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Socket 1156 & Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Socket 1156[/QUOTE]

Thanks, and I know this, but after my current motherboard had two Jmicron SATA ports I would rather not have USB3 at all then mess around with these terrible additions from third party developers and their never working drivers.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2523705]Swines!.

I was planning my next upgrade when I can get a motherboard with USB3 integrated.

First it was to be 2010, then 2011, now 2012.

Someone correct me but aren’t AMD already integrating USB3 to its motherboard south bridge? so there is no reason for the delay.

Lets hope Bulldozer is any good.[/QUOTE]
I was shopping around earlier … and no … the recently release AMD chipsets don’t have USB3. 3rd party chips are required, and common.

But current AMD chipsets have better support for USB3 controllers (unlike Intel who managed to introduce some bottlenecks).
Plus AMD has built-in Sata3 support.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2523834]But current AMD chipsets have better support for USB3 controllers (unlike Intel who managed to introduce some bottlenecks).
Plus AMD has built-in Sata3 support.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yeah AMD boards have PCIe 1x 2.0 meaning you can get full speed out of the cards, Intel have only PCIe 1x 1.0 so you are bottlenecked.

AMD are fantastic and innovators with every component they make (and that is including ATI graphics), except for the most critical component; the CPU which they are way behind Intel.

Intel are too arrogant, costly and like to bring out new CPU’s which immediately make their motherboards obsolete.

I am just hoping AMD get things right with Bulldozer as if so there is no need to go to Intel for some time.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2523838]AMD are fantastic and innovators with every component they make (and that is including ATI graphics), except for the most critical component; the CPU which they are way behind Intel.[/QUOTE]
CPU’s became insignificant once they hit 3Ghz and Multi-cores …
Now, it’s all about clocking single cores higher to get performance for all those poorly structured single core applications over the last 20years :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a lighting simulation program, AGI32, the core program is still single core … WTF? I’ve had a dual core or better at work for almost 4 years … and I’ve been using the program for longer than that … FSS.

If it’s any consolation, the raytracing is multi-threaded. I think I’ve used the raytracing about 3 times in the same time … I suspect the ray-tracing portion of the software is based on another companies work …

At last, intel has made the correct choice in case of usb3!!!

[QUOTE=chef;2524438]At last, intel has made the correct choice in case of usb3!!![/QUOTE]

What makes you think that way about USB3?

Just read about the intel based troubles concering usb3 within the last 2 months…

I was planning my next upgrade when I can get a motherboard with USB3 integrated And SATA 6GB/s. Two years of waiting will cost Intel a bag of money.