Intel CPU core difference?

vbimport

I am looking to upgrade my CPU and motherboard I am trying to decide between Intel Core i7 940 and i7-950 only real difference between the 2 is the i7-950 is a little faster but only by 130MHz

the i7 940 has a Nehalem core, and the i7 950 has a Bloomfield core.
Will one of the cores encode video faster than the other?

Right now I have a Phenom II X4 810

I really want to encode HD video faster, right now it takes like 6-12 hours to use BD-RB to compress a DL BD to a SL BD, and I am hearing about people compressing a movie in about 3 hours

Last night I compressed Star Trek to a 4GB MP4 but it took 8 hours using RipBot264 if I could get that down to about 3 hours that would be great

Thanks

They’re both essentially the same core (both Nehalem, both Bloomfield), just one clocked faster than the other. So the higher clocked 950 will work faster than the 940.

You might want to wait to see if anyone has any specific input on the encoding times and how it will differ with the Core i7.

If it is any help. i have an i5 750 (@3.8Ghz) and transcoded the same BD movie to MPEG4, the i5 done this in 1 hour 44 minutes. So the i7 with its HT will do this even faster. But i ripped the BD movie to SSD first, then encoded the MPEG4 back to SSD, which does in fact speed up the process by quite some margin.
IMO, don’t waste your money on the faster of the i7’s, you wont see much difference.

@Dee

Thanks I hope in about a month I will have enough cash saved up to upgrade (damn bills) every thing else I plan to carry over from my current setup. Got 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 4870

BTW what was the size of your file after you finished and did you do 1080p or downsize it?

Down to 720P, as i only have a 32 inch TV.

MrPete1985, do you have a good MB? Its possible to unlock extra cache on that CPU with a good MB. Also people get 3.4-3.5Ghz out of that cpu, it would be a good idea to get a new cooler though.

frozen cpu has an updated performance list for cpu coolers: Link

Have some fun, OC the snot out of that 810!

Got this MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

Never messed with OC scared I will fry something

[QUOTE=eric93se;2477524]Its possible to unlock extra cache on that CPU with a good MB. [/QUOTE]

Assuming the cache actually works, which is not certain and specifically not guaranteed. If you do manage to to do so, make sure you test the system properly afterwards!

well I just checked the bios history for that board and it does support ACC unlocking in the bios. The latest bios is version 2303, so you would want to first flash to that bios, get it here: Asus link

We can help you tweaking your system and testing stability if your interested MrPete1985. CPU’s today are much safer and unlikely to burn something out, it simply wouldn’t boot or crash, and you just reset the bios with the clear cmos jumper to return things to normal. If your not careful and do the proper testing the OS can become corrupt and you would have to re-install your OS, but thats only if you don’t follow instructions.

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2477480]I am looking to upgrade my CPU and motherboard I am trying to decide between Intel Core i7 940 and i7-950 only real difference between the 2 is the i7-950 is a little faster but only by 130MHz

the i7 940 has a Nehalem core, and the i7 950 has a Bloomfield core.
Will one of the cores encode video faster than the other?

Right now I have a Phenom II X4 810

I really want to encode HD video faster, right now it takes like 6-12 hours to use BD-RB to compress a DL BD to a SL BD, and I am hearing about people compressing a movie in about 3 hours

Last night I compressed Star Trek to a 4GB MP4 but it took 8 hours using RipBot264 if I could get that down to about 3 hours that would be great

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi ,

As already mentioned they are pretty much the same CPU with slightly different clocks. That is it. They are the same cores.

Do you wish to overclock ?

If so then why not look at the already mentioned 1156 i5 750 and the 1366 i7 920. Both are significantly cheaper , they will both clock very well indeed with sufficient cooling installed and will save you a big chunk of your money. ??

You could clock a i7 920 to a minimum of 3.6ghz and a high of 4.4ghz depending on quality of internals and cooling.

Just trying to save you some money buddy.

McT

Not looking to overclock the new CPU, I am going to wait until after xmas because I plan to get some gift cards for newegg

gonna grab this motherboard because of the USB 3.0 and it says it will work with the 6 core CPUs once they go on sale, will most likly go with the 940
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

Just to point out to you Mrpete, that MB is more for extreme gamers, you probably wouldn’t use most of those features. X58 boards are normally expensive, but I think you can find something better around the $200 mark, maybe next year they will drop a bit more.

thanks for pointing that out how about the MSI X58 Pro-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130226
I would like to have a eSATA anyway because I use that to rip 360 games does MSI make good motherboards

Yup thats a good pick. The ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard would be a good choice too.

Just to note, I wouldn’t buy the board until your ready to buy the rest of the system. Reason being their might be a new revision of the x58 chipset.

I was looking at that board earlier I might get that one just because I have an asus right now and never had any problems with it

I am not building a whole new system I am just replacing the mobo and cpu gonna use the HD, RAM, PSU, and vid card I have now. gonna need to call ms for a new key because I have a OEM of vista, or if santa brings me enough gift cards I may just go to win 7

thanks for all the help