Intel and AMD no longer support UHD 4K Bluray

1 Like

Well, AMD never did.

3 Likes

Correct.

I guess they want fewer and fewer people to buy discs then. No wonder Blu-ray never replaced DVDs they way it should. (around 2010 streaming was pretty low quality)

I really feel bad saying this but any type of disks that need to be burned or pressed, or even physical media is on its way out, we saw it happen to other types of media, VHS, and other types of media before it. The future is all streaming and the people that make these Blurays drives and players all see this. I build computers and the cases, many of them do not even have a 5:25 in drive bay in them anymore, laptops don’t have DVD drives or CD drives anymore, and the same will happen to UHD media very soon. Taiyo Yuden saw the writing on the wall many years ago and sold it out. Others followed. Samsung has stopped producing UHD DVD players, and others will follow. TVs and streaming media will end the need for physical media. Its sad but not unexpected.

1 Like

Physical optical media will still be here as an archival technology. Perhaps in different form than just regular PC parts but it is here to stay.

1 Like

I haven’t bought blank DVDs or blue-ray discs in years. I am still working off the stash I have built up. That said, I was in Microcenter over the weekend and was surprised at the amount of shelf space they still give to them so there seems to be a demand out there for them. The prices were higher than I expected.

I also noticed the low cost of their store brand SSDs. They have 128GB drives for $17 and 500GB ones for $39 and they aren’t bad drives. Their M.2 256GB drives were just $32. Even their professional brand was just a few dollars more. Their in-house brand USB drives are stupidly inexpensive when bought in bundles but some high capacity ones can be slow to write while smaller capacities (128GB and lower) can be quite fast. They all read fairly fast.

So my take is that disc prices are going up and SS storage is getting ever less expensive. We all know where this ends eventually. I still have a need for discs occasionally but the frequency is reducing more and more over time. This said, I still think discs will hang around for a while longer.

1 Like

I dont believe disks will be here for more than another 5 years and there will be less and less of them as we progress through time. Servers now are used for archival purposes with Cloud redundancy. Movies on discs will be just like VHS and everything that came before them, CDs in cars and at home will be gone in a few years. None of my past few autos have had CDs players in them. They are all Alexa ready and have had tablet-looking controls that make everything from your cell phone and sites like Spotify available for entertainment. Disks are going to be a thing of the past sooner than later.

I honestly think it’s more in between sooner and later and it depends on what you like and what industry it is. The main issue is DRM puts artificial kill dates on stuff like UHD which could render stuff that might otherwise still work completely useless.

The movie and television industries seem to be far more ready for a streaming only existence compared to other industries as every time display technology improves the problem of having to re-buy titles to take advantage of it and getting new players becomes a never ending cycle. Streaming services eliminate the problem.

Stuff such as audio CDs don’t have the problems of DRM at all and some music unless you’re willing to pirate it from shady sites is only available on physical media and to be frank some pirates are just incompetent at what they’re doing. I’ve had very miserable experiences in dealing with online music pirates. I’ve also seen how streaming services treat artists recently. I don’t think the music world is quite ready for a streaming only existence. It’s still got a lot of issues it needs sorted out.

Games are a complicated mess of a problem because everything is often so dependent on the game in question and it’s a large rabbit hole to go down with tons and tons of variables that can really affect your experience. Not going to cover this one as it’s a complicated subject.

1 Like

Actually, I was just referring to music and movies and TV, not gaming, I think console gaming is getting bigger, games to download from a server are getting way too expensive and the computers (GPUs) are way too expensive for us common folk.

The local manager must have some say in how the display space is allocated.
For the Microcenter near me, the optical media section has continuously shrunk from an entire aisle, down yesterday to one display case (i.e. 4 stacked shelves). Pretty much only Verbatim bargain line stuff as well as the unmentionables (Windata, and the other unbranded junk from China of which some come already delaminated fresh from the cake box.).

The space was definitely way down from the peak of disc sales. They had the media display separated some but all together I would say about a third of an isle was devoted to disc media.

I may be wrong but unless streaming services are already offering higher data rates (e.g. “bandwidth”),
movie features like lossless DTS MA soundtracks won’t be available for those cinephiles with high resolution surround sound systems, like me. I don’t currently subscribe to any streaming services, nor do I care to, beyond the free services I get via my community library. Yes, BDs take up physical space but you can watch them in best available A/V quality (limited only by the quality of your hardware), commercial free and without monthly fees. What I also hate about services (e.g. Amazon) is that they won’t let you download movies and/or burn to BD-RE, at least not in 1080p quality. As for 4K Blu Ray move lock outs by the newer Intel and/or AMD processors, isn’t the workaround running Any DVD HD in the background? At least 1080p BDs will play on the latest PCs, yes?

Plenty of good software out there that does just that, downloads anything strips the commercials and you can have it in 1080p or 4K from HBO Max.

1 Like

The torrenting industry certainly hasn’t been slowed down by streamed content. It has actually made it easier for them.

Really? Software that can hack that Amazon online movie streaming service? That lets you download the movie? If yes, can I opt to save to my storage HDD rather than my system SSD? If yes, then it lets you delete any commercials and save as an ISO file that I can play on JRiver? Will Red Fox AnyStream let me do all of this? This would be great even though from what I’ve read recently most streaming services don’t offer movies in lossless audio formats-at least not beyond two channel stereo, if even that.

This is something we don’t discuss here in detail because it is illegal.

1 Like

Any application that allows you to download a stream. Still requires you to have an account with that streaming service. So Amazon for example, will require you to have an Amazon Prime video account.
At which point you’re just as well watching the stream live via the Amazon Prime Video app…

1 Like

Why dont you do some googling and you will find what you need, I really do not want to recommend any specific software and Wendy is correct and so is UTR. Plus we are getting off-topic here ( my fault) let’s get back to the subject.

And still dozens of public libraries on Long Island where I’m from, not to mention public libraries across the rest of the US and beyond, continue ordering countless DVDs and BDs.Yes, my library also offers patrons no fee streaming like Kanopy, but almost any new or vintage movie-or TV show-which I don’t have in my collection one or more local public library has on DVD and/or BD. So I fail to see how optical disc will be going the way of VHS any time soon. Indeed, VHS delivered less than half the a/v quality of DVD yet it managed to endure for 25 years. Yes, blank media may become less plentiful, more costly like analog open reel tape, but that’s likely happening largely because big HDD and even now SSD capacities have become so cheap for storing movies. In any case, sales of commercially released BD movies and TV series don’t seem to be suffering much if any. And as I said virtually no streaming service offers the BD movie sound quality many like me spend big bucks on hardware to enjoy. As for computer cases, lots of the popular Silverstone models have optical drive bays, like the GD05 I just chose for my HTPC build.