Intel 510 series 120GB SSD review

vbimport

I just posted the article Intel 510 series 120GB SSD review.

Intel have joined forces with Marvell to create their first SATA 6Gbps SSD.
Can it compete head on with the might of the SandForce SF-2281 based Vertex 3?
Let’s find out in this review

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/intel-510-series-120gb-ssd-review-50064/](http://www.myce.com/review/intel-510-series-120gb-ssd-review-50064/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yo Wendy-

Thank you [B][I]SO[/I][/B] much for your fine review. Your experiences and my ‘real world’ use of this drive are very similar.

I was looking for a good/reliable drive and this seems to have fit the bill very well for me.

However - only time will tell-eh.

Thanks again.

Great review, I really like the fact that these SSDs are becoming mainstream now and all the kinks ( most anyway) are ironed out, I have to admit I only have a couple of Vertex 2 drives but in the future when upgrading I am going to give alot of different SSDs a shot, the prices seem to be coming down a bit, and new models abound, I think I find this the most interesting of all the new tech innovations. I cant wait to try these in a Raid config ( when affordable) , its gives me alot to look forward too, and after Wendys review I am even more interested.:flower:

Yo-

I wonder why Wendy doesn’t post this in the “MyCE - SSD reviews” sticky?

Afterall - it [I]is[/I] one of her best works-eh.

Thanks for the comments.
SSDs were pretty much “plug n play” until P67/Z68 came out, now things are not quite so simple, but are being fixed with new drive firmware to work around the isses with P67/Z68, and also OPROM updates for the chipset itself.

I forgot to add the 510 review to the list Mike, but i’ll fix that later.

[QUOTE=Dee;2600219]Thanks for the comments.
SSDs were pretty much “plug n play” until P67/Z68 came out, now things are not quite so simple, but are being fixed with new drive firmware to work around the isses with P67/Z68, and also OPROM updates for the chipset itself.[/QUOTE]

Yo Wendy-

Can we start a drive specific firmware update area (Sticky) - like they do over in the ODD Forums?

You didn’t mention (or maybe know?) that if one installs the SSD w/o specifically installing Intel’s RST drivers, then the 510 series will employ a driver from MS W7 i.e. msahci.sys 6.1.7601.17514.

As evidenced on Intel’s website, there are a goodly number of 510 buyers who have not installed the Intel RST driver and aren’t aware that it can apparently provide some small performance enhancement. My 510 uses the msahci driver and it works fine thus I haven’t changed it.

Yes I know of the default AHCI drivers, and they will work. In fact I’ve used them for trouble-shooting.
If you’re happy with them, then by all means use them.

RST drivers are recommended by the motherboard manufacturers, and by most SSD manufacturers.

Also, the standard AHCI drivers can’t TRIM a file that is over 2GB in size.
They also don’t support the full feature set of P55 and P67/Z68/H67.

While performance gains can be marginal on some SSDs, on others, such as the OCZ Vertex 3, the performance gain by using RST is quite substantial, especially with higher queue depths.

Yo-

Can anyone explain why I get this error when I try to access the [B]“Intel 510 series 120GB SSD Review”[/B]

“Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /404/ on this server.”

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2618267]Yo-

Can anyone explain why I get this error when I try to access the [B]“Intel 510 series 120GB SSD Review”[/B]

“Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /404/ on this server.”[/QUOTE]

Mike, everything is working fine here, tested on FF9 (logged in) and o chrome (as a guest user).

There was a problem earlier, but the site owner fixed it.

Yo-

Yup - it’s fixed now!!

Thank you all very much-eh!!