Instructions or Best way to Flash BenQ 1620

vbimport

Hi All

I just got my drive in it has the B7C9 FW and I need to know what’s the best way to flash it like should I use the exe or on of the cvt files and flash program? and can I go straight to the B7S9 or should I go one step at a time with this drive?

Thanks

I just installed a new 1620 yesterday. I ran the B7S9.EXE file and took it directly there from B7C9. I then burned a few discs using CDSpeed to test it out and the burns were near perfect.

I don’t recommend using the CVT technique unless you need to convert a “G” fimware over to a “B” firmware, since it’s an unnecessary risk (althought it’s likely only a “small” unnecessary risk).

Could u explian in detail?
Actually,I flash my firmware not using the CVT technology as I think they are modified a bit on the basis of the offical files and might bring about some potenial problems but I don’t know the exact reason.

I’m just the opposite. I’d rather flash with cvt and windwflash tool. Been flashing mine that way for some time now and no problems. Used about all the BenQ f/w’s now “G’s”,“B’s”, and 47L9.

This is just speculation based on a feeling I have due to a few reported issues. It just seems that some people who have problems running the latest B7S9 firmware have also used a CVT file to convert their drives.

From information I’ve learned in the LiteOn conference, I know that the LiteOn drives apparently “learn” how to better optimize a burn over time. They do this by storing laser calibration information from the last four burns for each media type. There have been reports of some LiteOn drives having learned the “wrong” way, with burns getting worse over time instead of better. To this end, a utility was created to erase this information from the EPROM where it was stored (this utility was not from LiteOn, but from the codeguys), effectively resetting the drive to a time-zero state.

So it’s my feeling that it’s possible that the BenQ drives might do something similar. If this data happens to be saved in a data area that’s designated as part of the firmware code, then it’s possible that a CVT file (which is just firmware that’s been extracted from the drive) could include it. Since lasers for the various 1620 drives are all slightly different in terms of their output power (and they also change during their lifetime) that calibration information could be completely wrong when burned into the firmware of another 1620 drive.

Note that this is all based on pure speculation and that it’s most likely NOT happening. That’s why I say that using a CVT file to upgrade your firmware is only a “small” unnecessary risk.

My understanding is .cvt files is what you would use to flash in pure DOS. Like .bin files for NEC to flash in DOS. As long as the person who extracted the .cvt and .bin files from the windows flasher (GUI) did this correctly it should be the same file.

I just used the Windooze version to flash B7P9RPC1.cvt and had no problems. But I still have an old trusty FDD just in case. :wink: