Instant crash when burning cd

Short bug description: I create a compilation, put some data on it and finally hit the “burn” icon. A small window pops up showing a progress bar, which is sitting at 0% for about 5 seconds, jumps to 100% and instantly crashes nero. When i started nero from a terminal, the terminal just says “killed”.

I tested with both burning onto a real cd recorder and onto an image, but the result was identical. A backtrace created with gdb follows,… anyone ever came across that very same bug and/or has an idea or link to help me out?

thx in advance!

— gdb run follows —

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/nero
(no debugging symbols found)
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 16384 (LWP 15055)]
[New Thread 32769 (LWP 15060)]
[New Thread 16386 (LWP 15061)]
[New Thread 32771 (LWP 15062)]
[New Thread 49156 (LWP 15063)]
[New Thread 65541 (LWP 15064)]
[New Thread 81926 (LWP 15065)]
[Thread 49156 (LWP 15063) exited]
[New Thread 98311 (LWP 15066)]
[New Thread 114696 (LWP 15168)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 114696 (LWP 15168)]
0xb72ead0a in strcasecmp () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb72ead0a in strcasecmp () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1 0xb79baf51 in CNameAssignerBase::SearchinList () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#2 0xb79babf6 in CNameAssignerBase::AssignNumbertoNewFile () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#3 0xb79b974a in CNameAssignerBase::AssignJolietName () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#4 0xb79b9620 in CNameAssignerBase::GetJolietName () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#5 0xb796f8bd in CBaseIsoItemInfo::GetJolietFileName () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#6 0xb796f9dd in CBaseIsoItemInfo::GetWideJolietFileName () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#7 0xb79709eb in CBaseIsoItemInfo::CreateJolietNameBuffer () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#8 0xb7ae70c5 in CMakeJolietNames::operator() () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#9 0xb7970fe8 in CBaseIsoItemInfo::ForEachIsoItemInfo () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#10 0xb7971037 in CBaseIsoItemInfo::ForEachIsoItemInfo () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#11 0xb7971037 in CBaseIsoItemInfo::ForEachIsoItemInfo () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#12 0xb7ae6118 in CAPIIsoCompilation::PreBurnCompilation () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#13 0xb7b0b186 in CAPIMixedModeCompilation::PreBurnCompilation () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#14 0xb7a4909b in BurnCD () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#15 0xb7b045b4 in NeroBurn () from /usr/lib/libNeroAPI.so
#16 0x0809eb5f in neroapi_record_threadentry ()
#17 0xb7ef1aec in pthread_start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#18 0xb7ef1c56 in pthread_start_thread_event () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#19 0xb733d49a in clone () from /lib/libc.so.6

same crash occurs for me. It comes from the glibc; at least that
is what i assume. For me nero segfaults every time i use some
non-standard ascii characters like ü … in the file name, else it
burns perfectly right. Most probably i should recompile the glibc
with the userlocales Useflag in my gentoo box. Because other
people told me that for them nero works even with the üä …, and
they had the userlocales enabled. Up to now i was to lazy,
so i can’t confirm it.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-371327-highlight-nero+segfault.html

But now i have started the recompile, if it works, i will post an update.

Shit, all for nothing.
Nero segfaults the same way even with the glibc compiled with
the userlocales flagg set.

Are you using UTF-8 as locales?

thank you for your fast reply. that seems to be exactly the reason why nero crashes for me, too. It’s a little hard to identify the files that cause the crash, as even my keyboard layout is in english, and my terminal doesn’t understand the “umlauts” either. %-/.

i’m off to manually search a few 100 files for the occurence of non-7bit-ascii chars…

he he, i rececked now, and i did not set the environment variable in a proper way.
the output of locale should deliver clearly something like:
~ # locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_NUMERIC=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_TIME=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_COLLATE=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_MONETARY=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_MESSAGES=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_PAPER=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_NAME=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_ADDRESS=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_TELEPHONE=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_MEASUREMENT=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_IDENTIFICATION=“en_US.utf-8”
LC_ALL=en_US.utf-8

now nero burns also the ü and so on…