Installing XP Home on ssd (Samsung NC10, Black)

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung NC10, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I removed the WD hdd (160gb) from my new Samsung NC10 and replaced it with a Samung SLC ssd(32gb). The NC10 had Windows XP Home on the WD hdd and also came with a disk of this OS. I tried to install this copy of XP Home, but after about 10 minutes a window appeared asking for a file re SP3 and a path to this file. The disk I was trying to install already had SP3 on. Not understanding this, after waiting for about 5 minutes, hoping this message would go away, I aborted the installation. Was this something to do with anti-piracy protection or a BIOS matter? If I buy a legal copy of XP Home would this solve the problem? The WD hdd is SATA ll and has three partitions:- EISA configuration (Recovery)6gb, C:(118 gb), D:(25gb) Back-up. The back-up was created shortly after first switching the machine on, following on screen prompts. I thing the EISA partition was on the machine before this back-up, as I gather it contains recovery software. I am not bothered about recovery software on the small ssd if and when I get it to work. In desperation, I cloned the C: drive, using Nortons Ghost, to the ssd. but althoughi t copied identically, after re-installing the ssd the machine would not boot up. I use the netbook only for emails and web browsing and some photo manipulation on my traves now I am retired and the small ssd capacity is no prolem

Hi,[QUOTE=johnedlord;2222225]I removed the WD hdd (160gb) from my new Samsung NC10 and replaced it with a Samung SLC ssd(32gb). The NC10 had Windows XP Home on the WD hdd and also came with a disk of this OS. I tried to install this copy of XP Home, but after about 10 minutes a window appeared asking for a file re SP3 and a path to this file. The disk I was trying to install already had SP3 on. (…)[/quote]it would be good if you could tell us the error message verbatim.
Perhaps the drive you were using had problems to read the disc.

You might also check the documentation that came with your notebook if there are instructions for a clean Windows install. Maybe there is something special.

Normally, it would not matter if you install Windows on a SSD or onto a HDD.

And I have another idea: Please check Bios setup if there are configuration options for the Sata controller. Maybe a different setting will help.

Michael

Hi again

I am sorry I cannot remember the error message verbatim. The optical drive is a newish external full spec one, quite expensive and has always operated perfectly, so I think that can be ruled out. I will check the handbook for any special instructions re a clean install. I am a computer newbie and do not really understand BIOS configurations. The original drive and the new ssd are both SATA ll. What should I look for in the Bios please? The manual does mention that the first boot priority is an externalDVD/CD drive, which is very helpful of course for a machine which does not have a built in drive. On my previous machine I had to get into the BIOS and alter the boot priority to install a new OS. This was an ASUS eee900 which originally ran Linux. I bought a legal copy of Windows XP pro for this and it installed with no problems whatsoever using the same external drive. Is altering BIOS configurations difficult? I downloaded a BIOS upgrade only 10 days ago from the Samsung website.

Hi,[QUOTE=johnedlord;2222351]
I am sorry I cannot remember the error message verbatim. The optical drive is a newish external full spec one, quite expensive and has always operated perfectly, so I think that can be ruled out. [/quote]Ok then.

I will check the handbook for any special instructions re a clean install.
You might also search other forums that deal with that kind of computers. Sometimes you’ll find some HOWTOs there.
I am a computer newbie and do not really understand BIOS configurations. The original drive and the new ssd are both SATA ll. What should I look for in the Bios please?
Sata controller setting: IDE (or similar). Additionally, there might be some USB related settings, I don’t know.
Another idea: Maybe you need to connect your external drive to a certain USB port.

I bought a legal copy of Windows XP pro for this and it installed with no problems whatsoever using the same external drive.
You might try to install from this disc. If it is XP Home also, then use the key that came with your computer.
Is altering BIOS configurations difficult? I downloaded a BIOS upgrade only 10 days ago from the Samsung website.
Changing Bios settings isn’t difficult. You did, when you changed the boot order in your other netbook.
I would not apply a Bios update unless is addresses an issue you suffer from.

Michael

Refence the OS I bought to replace the Linux on my previous Asus netbook, this was XP Pro. The pre-installed OS on my present Samsung netbook is XP Home. I think that using the XP Pro disk is a non-starter. I will read up on BIOS settings. Any suggestions for reading e.g. “BIOS for Dummies”. As a newbie to computing, it all seems to be getting difficult. Again many thanks to all. My first day on this forum has been great. It is now 2245 and I have not even switched the tele on. First time in a long time.

Hi,[QUOTE=johnedlord;2222389]Refence the OS I bought to replace the Linux on my previous Asus netbook, this was XP Pro. The pre-installed OS on my present Samsung netbook is XP Home. I think that using the XP Pro disk is a non-starter.[/quote]it is at least good enough for a test drive.

I will read up on BIOS settings. Any suggestions for reading e.g. “BIOS for Dummies”.
The manual of your computer is good enough.
Again many thanks to all. My first day on this forum has been great. It is now 2245 and I have not even switched the tele on. First time in a long time.
You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I have just remembered that I Nlited the legal copy of XP pro that I bought and reduced the disk space required by two thirds. This was originally meant to go on the Asus netbook which only had a fastish SLC ssd of 4gb and a very slow MLC ssd of 16 gb. I must have done this correctly, because I tried this tweaked XP Pro on a drive in my desktop and it worked perfectly, even prompting me with so many days to activate etc. Of course I never activated this. I should have mentioned that I tried to install this Nlited XP pro on to the ssd I had by then put in the Samsung NC10. I got a message after about five minutes asking for a file re SP2 and a path. Similar to the message I got when I tried the ssd with the disk which came with the new NC10, although that referred to SP3, which was already on the disk! My apologies for not mentioning this before, but I seem to have had the back off my new netbook now more times than I care to remember.

Maybe try put a very small 2nd partition on the new ssd for service pack 3 or 2 so when it asks you can point to it.

I finally managed to install the Samsung SLC ssd. I f anybody is interested in the conclusion to this story, please see the Hard Drive Forum - Upgrading a HDD in a Samsung NC10.

If anybody is considering a SLC ssd, please, please go ahead. They are lightning fast, completely silent and run very cool. I get 7/8 hours battery life now. I am not sure how much of an improvement this, because my machine is very new, and I ran it mostly the mains mostly before the disk change.

Very many thanks to all who helped with my questions in this. This club is great.

John

how do you find the samsung nc10 overall as a netbook - would you recommend it ??

The NC10 is great for web browsing and emails. With the ssd installed it is quite fast. I can run Adobe Photoshop 7 with no problems also. I upgraded the RAM to 2 gb.

I find it very handy to transport because of the small weight and footprint. I try to keep only one window open at a time and this seems seems to suit the Acorn CPU.

The keyboard is great and easy to touch-type on.

All in all it is a nice machine which I can thoroughly recommend.