Installing SATA Bluray drive in old PC with IDE optical bays and SATA HDD

My computer has a SATA HDD (and I believe another port designed for an extra HDD) but the optical bay is IDE. Can I install a bluray drive in the SATA port? How will that affect the HDD since they are both using SATA?

All recent mainboards supports without problems SATA optical drives, but some older boards can have compatibility issues.

Connecting a SATA device to the other SATA port in your mainboard should not affect in any way the HDD, because the SATA controller is indeed purposely made to support many devices connected at the same time. So the only doubt is if your mainboard is recent enough to support optical SATA devices.

Can you provide more details about your computer? What mainboard do you have? Is it a new machine or is a few years old?

If you biuld this computer by yourself, these information can be easily found in the mainboard user manual :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2555793]All recent mainboards supports without problems SATA optical drives, but some older boards can have compatibility issues.

Connecting a SATA device to the other SATA port in your mainboard should not affect in any way the HDD, because the SATA controller is indeed purposely made to support many devices connected at the same time. So the only doubt is if your mainboard is recent enough to support optical SATA devices.

Can you provide more details about your computer? What mainboard do you have? Is it a new machine or is a few years old?

If you biuld this computer by yourself, these information can be easily found in the mainboard user manual :)[/QUOTE]

I have a Sony RC210G from 2006. How do I know what the mainboard is?

Intel 945P chipset based mainboard, no more info. :frowning:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGCRC210G

HDD is internal SATA, optical drive is optional and was probably only IDE/ATAPI…

I got this info:

Prague AAD12395-206

Does this help?

If you already bought the Blu-ray drive, then just try it out, nothing will break.

bump

how can I figure out for sure if the SATA controller will support this kind of drive without problems?

Hi,

apart from trying is to read the manual if there is a statement about ATAPI support of the Sata ports. Or install a PCI Sata controller card (with Silicon Image chipset, non-Raid preferred).

Apart from that, there are several requirements that need to be met for BD playback. Cyberlink is offering some additional information plus some free diagnostic software: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

Michael

I always thought if the computer could support SATA drives (One to each connector, as opposed to a master / slave combination, all types of drives would work (Perhaps needing a firmware upgrade? :confused: ))

Even some crappy adaptors letting you do use SATA drives…that’s not the big problem.

Do you want to play Blu-Ray movies on this? I so take mciahel’s advice. If the mb and your graphics card are not fully HDCP-ready from disc-to-display; it won’t work (at least not at 1080 resolution). Just a heads-up, since one of my systems is in exactly that boat - no way to make Blu-Ray play, even over Sata, on this older mb with a non-HDCP compliant graphics card (Radeon 9800-XT), even though it supports HDMI via DVI.

If on the other hand you just want the capacity of BR, then it “might” work with the right drivers, but again, I’ve had problems driving optical BR SATA on older mb’s. It can be done though, as my ancient Abit board is doing it right now (with bios tweaking, of course) but no BR movies at 1080p :frowning:

Like Eric said - if you already have it - try it! :slight_smile: