Installing & Playing BW Backups of SecuROM

If you’re not able to install from your back-up copy from any of your drives (and you really feel you have to have a copy that will install rather than just play), you can simply make a further copy of the original cd using nero’s cd copy function. Such a copy will install fine though, of course, it won’t run the game once installed.

Of course, you could always use your original cd on the rare occasion when you may need to install or re-install. After all, you do own an original, don’t you? :wink:

Originally posted by Dazzler
[B]

Does NOLF2’s 2. CD not have any protection? If it has, why doesn’t it need BWA? [/B]

No, only disc 1 has a protection.
BWA files are only required to make backups of the latest securom new v4.8 (not sure from which version).

i really don’t know why some drives can’t read twinsectors, they read it as unreadable sectors. the experts could explain it better…

Originally posted by webcrawler
[B]

No, only disc 1 has a protection.
BWA files are only required to make backups of the latest securom new v4.8 (not sure from which version). [/B]

I did scan the second cd of NOLFE2 with Clonny XXL and Securom new came up.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]If you’re not able to install from your back-up copy from any of your drives (and you really feel you have to have a copy that will install rather than just play), you can simply make a further copy of the original cd using nero’s cd copy function. Such a copy will install fine though, of course, it won’t run the game once installed.

Of course, you could always use your original cd on the rare occasion when you may need to install or re-install. After all, you do own an original, don’t you? :wink: [/B]

Man that is not the question at hand here. I am trying to make a backup in case the orginal cd or cd’s get lost, stolen or any other disaster.

Originally posted by Sashow

I am trying to make a backup in case the orginal cd or cd’s get lost, stolen or any other disaster.

Make one .BWA backup to play from and one non-.BWA backup to install from. If you’re worried about having two copies then play from D-Tools or Alcohol (no emu required) and have a non.BWA backup for installing - then again, one can install from the image as well.

Edit:

merged two threads at this point

@ Futureproof

When I wrote my first post in this thread it was my intention to answer, not to make a new thread. Must have hit the wrong button.
So by merging the two threads you put things right. :slight_smile:

[B]I have the LTR-48125W (VS08) and an Asus 52x CD-ROM

Read Settings:
Subs On (optional)
Nibble
Adapt Speed
Max Read Speed
Read with the lite-on

BWA File:
4x
The sectors i used the auto detect max sectors.
Read with the lite-on
Only Disc 1 needs a BWA file.

Write Settings:
DAO-PW
Max Speed

Certain drives have issues with twinpeaks, like Futureproof mention in the above post. BTW which drive do you have?
Lite-ons don’t seem to have a problem, the asus cd-rom too doesn’t seem to have any problems. I’ve reinstalled from the backups too! [/B]

I did not use twin peaks software i manually did a BWA file and inserted it in the image created through Blindread\write software. When finished writing it did use the bwa file. I just tried doing exactly as you posted and this time around my backups cd’s of NOLFE2 would even bring up the install menu just keep reading but nothing, i will now try to an image with Clone cd and use twinpeaks for the BWA. Man i am getting a headache.

Originally posted by FutureProof
Make one .BWA backup to play from and one non-.BWA backup to install from. If you’re worried about having two copies then play from D-Tools or Alcohol (no emu required) and have a non.BWA backup for installing - then again, one can install from the image as well.

You can also make a working bwa back-up from a non-bwa copy provided you have retained the bwa file from the original.

To do so-

[list=1]
[li]Make an image of the non-bwa copy with clonecd (game cd profile) or alcohol (save in clonecd format).
[/li][li]Use twinpeak with the bwa file to patch the image.
[/li][li]Burn the patched image with clonecd or alcohol.
[/li][/list=1]

I’ve tested this successfully with both Empire Earth: Art of Conquest and Unreal Tournament 2003 using non-bwa copies made simply by using nero’s cd-copy function as the source cds.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]
You can also make a working bwa back-up from a non-bwa copy provided you have retained the bwa file from the original.

To do so-

[list=1]
[li]Make an image of the non-bwa copy with clonecd (game cd profile) or alcohol (save in clonecd format).
[/li]> [li]Use twinpeak with the bwa file to patch the image.
[/li]> [li]Burn the patched image with clonecd or alcohol.
[/li]> [/list=1]

I’ve tested this successfully with both Empire Earth: Art of Conquest and Unreal Tournament 2003 using non-bwa copies made simply by using nero’s cd-copy function as the source cds. [/B]

Yeah thanks i think i am done pulling my hair out and will go with the install and play backups. I love this site to bad i didnt find it earlier. PEACE!!!

I have a liteon 24102B and the latest Blindwrite.

My drive should make a working backup of both UT2003 and Mafia should it!!! Please tell me it will…

I am receiving the game this Monday and first thing I want to do is make a backup.

So if for example my original goes missing from some little turd putting it in their school bag and taking it home, can I still make a working backup from a working backup?

Or would I have to save the BWA file somewhere in case such a scenario happened?

Originally posted by -Joel-
[B]I have a liteon 24102B and the latest Blindwrite.

My drive should make a working backup of both UT2003 and Mafia should it!!! Please tell me it will…

I am receiving the game this Monday and first thing I want to do is make a backup.

So if for example my original goes missing from some little turd putting it in their school bag and taking it home, can I still make a working backup from a working backup?

Or would I have to save the BWA file somewhere in case such a scenario happened?
[/B]

Yeah you should be able to make backups of those games. I would always put it on cd because you never know you might have to reinstall windows or something and if original cd is lost so are you. I have had no luck in backing securom all on one cd, had to do a install disk and a play disc. so good luck

I am having a problem with BWA Builder saying unable to detect rotation speed so no backups until i work that out I guess… :slight_smile:

I am having a problem with BWA Builder saying unable to detect rotation speed so no backups until i work that out I guess… :slight_smile:

What cd reader are you using, i have used both the Toshiba sdm1612 which seems to work better and also a Liteon 40125s cd writer, i got a more accurate BWA with the Toshiba drive

I forgot but i used a 1X speed to read the Bwa and it worked good, didnt even take that long to read about 3 to 4 minutes.

I have that type of problem wih my plex cd-readers; but if you use a plexwriter no problem.

[B]i’ve installed fine from the backups of hitman2 and NOLF2, works great too!!

wrote it with the ltr-48125w and installed it with the asus 52x cd-rom. verification time takes around 10-20 secs… [/B]

I copied your settings exactly as you stated in a previous thread but I had no success with making a workable backup of Hitman 2.

Any ideas?

Here’s what I’m using:
Plextor PX-W4012A (CD-R/RW)
Lite-On LTD-163 (DVD-ROM)
Blindwrite Suite 4.2.2.12

hmm… i don’t think the plextor can read the backup disc, and i think i read the lite-on dvd works try a search.

and with wat did you read the bwa file? perhaps that could be the problem…

[B]hmm… i don’t think the plextor can read the backup disc, and i think i read the lite-on dvd works try a search.

and with wat did you read the bwa file? perhaps that could be the problem… [/B]

My Lite-On DVD-ROM unit (LTD-163) couldn’t even read the disc, but the Plextor could read the disc to install it but not to play the game!

I also used these two other CD recorders without success:

Lite-On LTR-40125S
LG CED-8080B

maybe you should try the twinpeak 0.2 + CloneCD. check the clonecd forum.

check philamber’s post in this thread too!
best of luck…