Installing & Playing BW Backups of SecuROM

Even if most drives can load the backup made by the newest BW of a Securom v.4 game, there are a lot of drives that can’t read these bakups without read errors (and therefore many can’t install from these backups). I have Lite-On LTD163 and LTR24102B and both of these drives can read the backup cds without readerrors and installs perfectly (just try to read the backup made by BW 4.2.1, and if you can read the whole disk without errors then the install will go just fine!!) If you encounter readerrors then you can’t install from that drive (Plextor and Thosiba drives can’t read without errors)

yea can we get a list of drives that the securom new (4.x) that work w/ bw 4.2.x has installing problems from ?

nolf2 - cd1
installer works
liteon 24102b

installer doesnt work (crc error)
toshiba 16x dvd (md-1612)
pioneer 16x dvd (dvd-115)
plextor 1210a

Plextor 2410a, Toshiba sd-c 2502 (notebook dvd); but anyone knows why some drives read twin sectors as bad sectors?

Copied RollerCoasterTycoon using BR v4.2.1.11 and BW 4.2.1.26… Burnt it on my Liteon 24102b…

Liteon 24102b installed and ran it fine
Pioneer DVR-104 took a bit longer to install and to run, but ran everything fine

i’ve installed fine from the backups of hitman2 and NOLF2, works great too!!

wrote it with the ltr-48125w and installed it with the asus 52x cd-rom. verification time takes around 10-20 secs…

just preliminary
but it looks like twinpeaks 0.02 doesnt fubar the CRC
therefore no more install problems

but thats only checking my 4 drives
plextor 121032a
pioneer dvd-115
toshiba md-1602
liteon 24102b

The twinpeaks copy of RollerCoasterTycoon 2 i made does not run…

But then again, I cant get the mounted BWT version to run right now either… So I dont know whats wrong!

Blackcheck, the author of twinpeaks, has released v. 0.02 that fix the install problems with securom v. 4 backups with Plextor, Thosiba and other (Asus??) readers. It works only with CloneCD images. Blindwrite use the technic used by Twinpeaks v. 0.01. I hope the Blindwrite team start to use Twinpeaks v. 0.02. But I have LiteOn drives and they install perfectly so I have no problems with the backups made by Blindwrite.

It also copies the subs, which Blindwrite doesn’t use. NeverWinter Nights original CD has both signatures in the subs (Old Securom) and the variable sector densities (new Securom). What will happen if Sonys securom loader starts to check both subs and the variable sector densities??? Well backups made by the latest BW will not work, but if you use twinpeak 0.02 and clonecd the backup will work. Maybe the Blindwrite Team will also support sub + BWA burning??

Toshi 1202, 1402, ASUS 40x and 48x will not install BW UT2K3 backup - halts at the logo.bmp file. My Lite-On 163D did it.

Originally posted by webcrawler
[B]i’ve installed fine from the backups of hitman2 and NOLF2, works great too!!

wrote it with the ltr-48125w and installed it with the asus 52x cd-rom. verification time takes around 10-20 secs… [/B]

I was wondering what speed did you read the image dump file, the BWA file read speed and finally what parameters did you use for the sector count in the BWA file on NOLFE2 disk 1 and disk 2, also did you use auto before the write in blindwrite? It seems that i can play and verifies the disk very quick but cannot install from the backups.

Saw in another forum that Lapineu (BW creator) recommended to burn two CD:s. One without BWA to install from and one with BWA to play from. Obviously the BWA corrupts some files that is needed when installing.

if that is true, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the whole 1:1 copy thing.

ya it is great that it can read backups but you will still need another cd to install. just don’t sound right.

give it some time and all will be well again.

I had some problems to install NWN Disc 3 (backup)with my devices when I used BWA builder. It told me that some files could not be read and gave me an error. What is the problem with this?

I have the LTR-48125W (VS08) and an Asus 52x CD-ROM

Read Settings:
Subs On (optional)
Nibble
Adapt Speed
Max Read Speed
Read with the lite-on

BWA File:
4x
The sectors i used the auto detect max sectors.
Read with the lite-on
Only Disc 1 needs a BWA file.

Write Settings:
DAO-PW
Max Speed

Certain drives have issues with twinpeaks, like Futureproof mention in the above post. BTW which drive do you have?
Lite-ons don’t seem to have a problem, the asus cd-rom too doesn’t seem to have any problems. I’ve reinstalled from the backups too!

Originally posted by jackal2001
if that is true, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the whole 1:1 copy thing.

well it’s not a 1:1 copy in the first place. But this is the best option avaliable right now.

some drives just can’t read thru the twin sectors, eg. Toshiba DVD-ROM, ASUS CD-RW, and some plextors too.
The lite-ons don’t have any problems.

No install with Blindwrite

On Pionner 117s NO (Error during install)

On Liteon 32123s XSOX The install go to end of CD 2 then stop (Freeze) ??? and take many time for install it from CD 2 ( drive go then stop then go then stop ==>> end CD2 and freeze to end )

And my backup with twinpeak never launch the install in my 2 drive Pionner 117s and Liteon 32123s with 3 options 6,15 or 50 .

I hope the creator of twinpeak and blindwrite made something for a perfect 1:1 backup :eek:

Thanks to all this brain :bow: :bow: :bow:

some drives just can’t read thru the twin sectors, eg. Toshiba DVD-ROM, ASUS CD-RW, and some plextors too.
The lite-ons don’t have any problems.

Is this a weakness or a strength? I know it’s a weakness regarding twin sectors, but is it because they are TOO GOOD readers?

I have a Toshiba 1612, from which I can’t install a Securom BWA backup. Why do some drives have problems with reading twin sectors, when others don’t?

BWA File:
4x
The sectors i used the auto detect max sectors.
Read with the lite-on
Only Disc 1 needs a BWA file.

Does NOLF2’s 2. CD not have any protection? If it has, why doesn’t it need BWA?

great, that is all i own a toshiba dvd-rom and a cd-rom.
they were the best at reading protections so I got them, now they won’t read the backups. ohhhh great!

I don’t have any of the newer games so i am just going by others on the forum here and there experiences.

oddgut,
have you confirmed that backups built with twinpeaks 0.2 have worked with toshi cd and dvd drives when installing the game. just because that is all i own, besides my liteon burner and plextor burner.