Installing OS via SATA DVDRW's

vbimport

I have a problem in that I can boot from SATA DVDRW.
Install (if needed) additional drivers.
Even see & format (if necessary) the SATA HDD’s.
But then the installation is halted.
Stating that the OS cannot be installed due to unknown format of SATA HDD’s.
This happens even with or without format.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

BTW The SATA DVDRW’s are connected via a SATA PCI controller card (SiliconImage 3114).

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2111973]I have a problem in that I can boot from SATA DVDRW.
Install (if needed) additional drivers.
Even see & format (if necessary) the SATA HDD’s.
But then the installation is halted.
Stating that the OS cannot be installed due to unknown format of SATA HDD’s.
This happens even with or without format.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

BTW The SATA DVDRW’s are connected via a SATA PCI controller card (SiliconImage 3114).[/QUOTE]

You need a floppy with the SATA card drivers on it, use the F6 option as soon as the system boots to the Windows CD. You also need to have BIOS set to boot to the correct drive.

Thanks for responding CDan.
However I can’t have made the situation clear.
If I boot from a SATA DVDRW.
I can load any necessary drivers.
I can have the particular HDD’s to boot from set in the BIOS.
My problem is that after loading the Windows files + any other drives.
I cannot select the HDD to install the OS to.
It says that Windows does not recognise the HDD format.
The format is NTFS.
The OS is Vista 64 bit.
So in a nutshell I can do anything prior to the actual install of the OS.
Load drivers - format - partition - whatever I like.
But on selecting the HDD to which I wish to install the OS.
It tells no go incorrect format.

O/T I do still have IDE DVDRW’s so can install from them.
However thinking of the future, I want to know … What if anything I am doing wrong, possibly something I am not doing.

This might be a vista bug, IIRC. Try using an IDE ODD. Or try using IDE mode instead of AHCI mode in the bios.

That PCI card will likely need to be flashed to IDE BIOS, you can’t just set it to “IDE mode”. It will be recognized as a RAID card otherwise. Although this shouldn’t be an issue for booting, who knows. I can’t say for certain that this card is in fact bootable. Also good to note that the drivers are not interchangeable either, you must use the SIL RAID driver for RAID BIOS, and IDE driver for IDE BIOS. I wouldn’t bet my life on there being any Vista-compatible drivers either, regardless of any claims by the seller of the card. But the IDE BIOS and driver would have the best chance of working.

One more note, unless the card has the correct type memory chip, it cannot be flashed. But it MUST be in IDE mode for an optical drive to work right on it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2112334]This might be a vista bug, IIRC. Try using an IDE ODD. Or try using IDE mode instead of AHCI mode in the bios.[/QUOTE]

OK if you look at my previous post you’ll see I mention I can use an IDE DVDRW.
I have for a while used raid.
Am currently trying ACHI.
Might change the layout & give IDE a go over the Bank Holiday.
Depending on weather.

[QUOTE=CDan;2112342]That PCI card will likely need to be flashed to IDE BIOS, you can’t just set it to “IDE mode”. It will be recognized as a RAID card otherwise. Although this shouldn’t be an issue for booting, who knows. I can’t say for certain that this card is in fact bootable. Also good to note that the drivers are not interchangeable either, you must use the SIL RAID driver for RAID BIOS, and IDE driver for IDE BIOS. I wouldn’t bet my life on there being any Vista-compatible drivers either, regardless of any claims by the seller of the card. But the IDE BIOS and driver would have the best chance of working.

One more note, unless the card has the correct type memory chip, it cannot be flashed. But it MUST be in IDE mode for an optical drive to work right on it.[/QUOTE]

The PCI SATA controller is bootable, has been flashed with BASE BIOS + uses the specific driver for ODD’s.
There are Vista compatible drivers too.
The card works fine.
I can boot from ODD’s connected to the card.
I get stuck @ the actual installation of OS, having done in theory the hard part.
As eric93se mentions it may be a Vista bug.
Will leave it for now & maybe try the boards SATA ports set to IDE sometime soon.

Thanks for the responses folks.

For to install onto a SATA HDD partition using ACHI. You will need to load ACHI drivers for the HDD disc controller. I assume the HDD’s are connected to the motherboards SATA controller. If so, these are the drivers you must also load using F6.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2112643]For [B][U]to install onto a SATA HDD partition using ACHI. You will need to load ACHI drivers for the HDD disc controller[/U][/B]. I assume the HDD’s are connected to the motherboards SATA controller. If so, these are the drivers you must also load using F6.[/QUOTE]

While I can see why you suggest this.
I do not need to do so when installing form IDE.
The OS disc is Vista Ultimate sp1 inc.
So I am under the impression that the OS part that’s initially loaded to commence the install. Doesn’t need this.
After all I can see the HDD’s.
I can Delete, Format, Create New etc.
Just can’t install.
However I might give this a go too at the w/e.
Thanks.
P.S. All I installed using f6 was the drivers for the PCI card.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2112643]For to install onto a SATA HDD partition using [B][U]ACHI[/U][/B]*. You will need to[B][U] load ACHI drivers for the HDD disc controller[/U][/B]. I assume the HDD’s are connected to the motherboards SATA controller. If so, these are the drivers you must also load using F6.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
As I never had to install these when installing OS from IDE DVDRW, I didn’t think I would if installing from SATA DVDRW.
I have tried your suggestion & it made no difference.
Vista bug looking more likely now.

Only thing left is to use onboard SATA instead of PCI card to connect SATA DVDRW.
See if this helps.

• Just thought I’d mention that I’ve tried IDE - ACHI & RAID.
    This had made no difference either.

Hello …
Here’s an update.
By installing 2 of my SATA DVDRW’s via the board, instead of using the PCI controller card.
I have managed to install the OS via one of them.
Interestingly, when I install via the card it somehow confused my setup.
Whether this is a bios thing or Vista is not known to me.
However I now have another problem which is board/bios related.
The 2 SATA HDD’s that I moved to make way for the SATA OD’s.
Will only work if both are enabled using Gigabyte HD Backup. Similar if not identical to mirror raid.
I would rather have the 2 separate drives.
But as soon as I disable the backup function I lose both drives. :doh:

Hello!
I have a similar problem and I would appreciate any help…
I have a PC with a SATA HardDisk, a SATA DVDRW and no floppy drive. I cannot open the PC, so I cannot change this configuration. My Windows XP CD doesn`t boot. What can I do?
Thank you!

Welcome to CDF radumaster.
When you say your XP CD doesn’t boot.
Do you mean automatically?
Or are you “forcing” boot to CD via the bios?
If you are having problems that early, I am stumped.
Is there a reason why you can’t change the configuration?
A system without floppy is fairly common these days.
But with Vista you can use flash drives etc.

Hi!
I want to install Windows XP servicePack2. I set the right order in BIOS for the “Boot priority”: 1. DVDRW - 2. Harddisk. When it starts, I insert the windows xp cd and nothing happens… it starts the Fedora Core that is aleready installed(don`t ask me how they installed it!). I have installed win xp many times, never using a SATA dvdrw. Any advice?
Thanks everybody!

Did you press a key to boot from CD? I usually keep tapping the space bar to boot from CD.

I have the same setup as you. A Silicon Image SATA 3114 PCI card. It’s the Rosewill RC-209. I don’t have Vista, but XP won’t install. Like you said, it will read the disc including the drivers. Then it says something like starting Windows. Then it says something like it is stopping to prevent damage to the computer.

I have an external DVD drive with a USB connection that I use if I need to install XP.

I have an Intel D865GBF motherboard. It has the most screwed up BIOS ever seen in human history. It has two IDE ports and two SATA ports but the stupid thing can only see half the drives. XP can see them all once it’s running but the BIOS can’t.

When I set the BIOS to “enhanced” it will see both hard drives but not the burner. When set to “legacy” it will see one hard drive and the burner. That stupid BIOS had 27 updates the last time I looked a year ago, but no fix for this. If this was fixed I might never have bought the PCI card.

Anyway the PCI card works great and as a bonus it gives me external SATA ports. But installing XP requires an external USB drive.

Well actually I have an XP installation on each hard drive and I also have a copy of the XP install CD on the hard drives. So I can install XP on one drive while running XP on the other. But if I ever needed to install XP from an optical drive, I would need the external USB thing.