Installing New LG burner

vbimport

I had the GSA 4163B, it’s about 1 yr. old, have burned a lot of CD’s and DVD’s with good results, it stopped working, The light will come on for a minute or so, then goes off. I posted a thread, but no one responded, so decided to buy another one. I bought the LG GSA-H10L.
I took the old one out and installed this new one with the same cables etc. as the old one. The new one will not come on at all, no light or anything, when I tried to boot my computer, is says drive not found, after touching F1 the computer boots etc., I installed the software and let it update the firmware, but still doesn’t work, I can’t even open the drive.

I took it back out, re-installed the old one, it’s light works and will stay on about 1 min. as before, and I can open the drive, but of course it still doesn’t work. This is with the same cables etc as before.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do?
Nana2005

Perhaps try another IDE cable, preferably an 80wire one.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum Nana 2005. :iagree: :clap:
Make dure power plug is pushed in firmly.(Power LED usually still comes on even without the IDE cable even connected). But TimC is right about the 80wire cable bit. :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue:
Check jumpers. :doh:
Not sure what this means. Check this [B]out[/B]: (Pages 6 to 12 - although this guide is for Philips, the procedure is indentical.) :bigsmile:

I finally got in touch with LG support, he had me unplug the cable and leave the power supply plugged in, and no light etc came on, so he says it is a bad unit. My cable plugs into SEVERAL things, where should I look to get a new cable that connects everything together as it is now, and how would I know if mine is an 80 wire?
Nana2002

Hi :slight_smile:
40 wire IDE Cable. Connectors are the same colour.
80 wire IDE Cable. Connectors are colour coded.

Thanks for the input, I checked & it does have the 40 wire cable as thought. I’d had a new hard drive put in last year and it has the cable you described as the 80 wire, but when I install the new DVD/CD writer I’ll put in a 80 wire cable.

Any thoughts on should I go back to the LG burner or should I buy something else. When mine worked I was pleased with it, but was suprised to have it go out in a little over a year. I bought this GSA-H10L at Sam’s for $50, was &70 at Best Buy. Others were around $80-90 at Best Buy.

Hi Nana2005,

think different. Try to test BOTH drives on an other Computer. Could be you have a problem with your mainboard…

I don’t have another computer to try it on. I assume you mean the motherboard, if there were problems with it, wouldn’t I be experiencing other problems? I’m not real computer savy…

Main Board Problems would not cause the drive to not power on via the molex connector. The only thing it could be besides your drive is the power supply. However they usually work, or don’t work (not some plugs work and some don’t). Since your computer is powering up, it is the drive.

nana2005 wrote:
I took the old one out and installed this new one with the same cables etc. as the old one. The new one will not come on at all, no light or anything, when I tried to boot my computer, is says drive not found, after touching F1 the computer boots etc., I installed the software and let it update the firmware, but still doesn’t work, I can’t even open the drive.

Have a look at the last sentence. How can nana2005 update the firmware without power??

@nana2005: or do you mean the firmware of the motherboard and which software do you installed?

Have a look at the last sentence. How can nana2005 update the firmware without power??

@nana2005: or do you mean the firmware of the motherboard and which software do you installed?
I don’t really understand this “firmware”, all I know is that I installed the CD software that came with the burner and I received a pop up about updating the “firmware” and I said yes…and it went through a process.
I, and apparently the technician assume the power supply for the burner is okay, since the old burner’s light will come on, but the light on the new one will not.