Installing Microsoft Product Key Update Tool

vbimport

Recently ran my slipstreamed XP SP3 Home disc on my daughters Compaq PC. To do an InPlace Upgrade / Repair.

Did not want to use the Compaq Repair found on the PC because of all the junk that installs with it and the conflict between different firewalls. It came with Norton. her college required McAffee. and I want to try CIS when this problem is resolved

When I tried to enter the key number that was located on the side I get the message Key Invalid and XP reboots.

A MVP responded to use the Microsoft Product Key Updaqte Tool. But I have not been able to get a response from the Micorosft Forum on HOW to install and run the tool since it roboots after entering the “Invalid” key?

I have asked twice if a bootable CD with the tool on it would work but still am waiting for a reply on how to accomplish this?

Oh the slip stream was created using a XP SP2 CD sent from Microsoft support and a downloaded SP3 file about 5 years ago.
Also wondered if the current SP3 available from Microsoft had any changes from 5 years ago?

Oh my PC was also an OEM PC from ABS Computers 10 years ago and I had no problems with it.

Thanks for your Help.
UncleDoug

It would have been much easier to download SP3, save it to the computer and then install it which would not require activation instead of doing a repair install. Probably the simplest thing to do now is call Microsoft to ask for activation help. Another option is to use Restore in Windows to revert to a restore point and then download SP3 to the PC to install it.

Hi,[QUOTE=UncleDoug;2516301]
When I tried to enter the key number that was located on the side I get the message Key Invalid and XP reboots.

[/QUOTE]procuct activation has been disabled by MS for OEM keys from large manufacturers. You will have to call MS activation service for assistance. Not a biggie since your key is perfectly legit.

Michael