Installing linux on MS virtual pc 2007

vbimport

hi ,

i want to learn linux ubuntu and i have decided that i ll using it under microsoft environment … so MS virtual pc came to my mind …
since i am new to linux so i have few queries …

1. linux do not use ntfs yor fat32 …so which formatting i need to do ? (for virtual pc).

2. can i recover my space back ? :slight_smile: i mean if i decided to delete linux … can i just delete virtual pc files and that it ???

3. how linux is installed ? can any one send me guide etc ???

thanks

[QUOTE=zshan000;2510640]hi ,

i want to learn linux ubuntu and i have decided that i ll using it under microsoft environment … so MS virtual pc came to my mind …
since i am new to linux so i have few queries …

1. linux do not use ntfs yor fat32 …so which formatting i need to do ? (for virtual pc).[/quote] None, just an empty disk.
  1. can i recover my space back ? :slight_smile: i mean if i decided to delete linux … can i just delete virtual pc files and that it ???

Yep

1. how linux is installed ? can any one send me guide etc ???
    www.ubuntu.com gives you all the info and more. Basically you burn the iso on a dic and boot from that disc. Perhaps in MS Virtual PC you can even mount the ISO as a virtual bootable cdrom drive.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=zshan000;2510640]
i want to learn linux ubuntu and i have decided that i ll using it under microsoft environment … so MS virtual pc came to my mind … [/quote]if you want to run Linux in a virtual environment, then use VirtualBox instead. Linux support is much better.

You might also have a look at the wubi installer which is aboard on recent Ubuntu versions. You then install Ubuntu under Windows like any other Windows application. See here: http://wubi-installer.org and especially here: http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Much faster than Ubuntu in a virtual machine, but you need to reboot to switch to Ubuntu.

Michael

thanks very much guys :slight_smile:

i ll let u know when i m done :smiley:

hi guys ,

i have installed ubuntu on MS virtual pc 2007 sp1 … its running fine but i have noticed that it is talking alot of CPU.
and due to this reason …it is not running that smoothly … i have installed latest standard version of ubuntu …

can some one tell me wts the diff b/w standard version and Ubuntu Netbook Remix ???

also i cant run mp3 on it … plugins are not available … how can i get them ?

actually i installed on my laptop :slight_smile:

i have allocated 512mb ram to it …6 gb of virtual hard disk …

[QUOTE=zshan000;2511674]
i have installed ubuntu on MS virtual pc 2007 sp1 … its running fine but i have noticed that it is talking alot of CPU.
and due to this reason …it is not running that smoothly … i have installed latest standard version of ubuntu … [/quote]Well, there is a reason why I recommended VirtualBox instead of MS VirtualPC for Linux based guests :cool:

can some one tell me wts the diff b/w standard version and Ubuntu Netbook Remix ???

also i cant run mp3 on it … plugins are not available … how can i get them ?
See the FAQ: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions

[QUOTE=zshan000;2511675]actually i installed on my laptop :slight_smile:
i have allocated 512mb ram to it …6 gb of virtual hard disk …[/QUOTE]Using wubi.exe would have been the better option :wink:

Michael

One big advice zshan000: Do not attempt to compare any kind of Linux with any kind of Windows operating system. The setup, configuration and method of working is completely different. Try to forget everything you know about Windows when you are working with Linux for the first time. This is very hard and time consuming, but it will be worth it if you want to take Linux seriously.
Do not ask yourself questions like "Hey, in Windows it was like this, so in Linux … ".