Installing LAME on EAC

vbimport

How do you install the LAME encoder on the Exact Audio Copy program?

Download the latest LAME.exe (3.98.2), unpack it in a folder of your choice. Start the configuration wizard (under “EAC/Configuration Wizard”) and let it search for it and automatically set the correct parameters. That is the easiest, most newbie friendly way.

Actually, I believe you need to unzip Lame to same EAC folder/directory…

Not necessarily, no. You can unzip it anywhere you want, and either let the configuration wizard find it, as explained above, or enter the location of LAME.exe manually in the compression options of EAC.

I use a different folder for the LAME.exe myself.

Cool…I stand corrected… I think “the easiest, most newbie friendly way.” would be to unzip it to the same EAC directory…But whatever works right!

The bigger problem from the newbie perspective is using the right encoding parameters (the funky stuff under “Additional command-line options” in the screenshot above). That’s why using the wizard makes sense, because it automatically chooses the right parameters, and a good variable bitrate profile (equivalent to the old “–alt preset standard”).

It’s easy for a newbie to figure out lots of info on EAC out there…w/o going back and forth,you have a way of doing it and I gave my opinion/2cents, w/o getting too techie for a newbie…

Cheers!

[QUOTE=packetloss;2143988]Download the latest LAME.exe (3.98.2), unpack it in a folder of your choice. Start the configuration wizard (under “EAC/Configuration Wizard”) and let it search for it and automatically set the correct parameters. That is the easiest, most newbie friendly way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I followed the link and downloaded the file, but for some reason it isn’t tthere when I go to unpack it! I created a new folder in the EAC directory to store it but it’s empty! I tried it 3 times and same result.

Any idea what’s going on here?!

I just tested the link again myself, works fine, and unpacks fine. I don’t know what is causing the problem, try this link instead.

Well, I finally got it to save it to a directory where I could see the file, but now it refuses to unpack. I’m using Win RAR but I don’t see why that should be a problem.

Any ideas?

Have you tried the second link I posted? I have no clue what could cause a problem like that. Maybe your Antivirus is wrongly putting the lame.exe into quarantine?

DL this one and unzip it…
http://www.rarewares.org/dancer/dancer.php?f=226

I downloaded the file to another folder (a non Program File folder) and it extracted properly. But for some reason, it refused to download or extract in the EAC program folder!

You EAC is probably allergic to LAME. :smiley:

Whatever, should be pretty straightforward now.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think this works now!

With EAC I can rip WAV files and then encode into MP3 (or something else). Or, I can rip into MP3 (or other) directly. This saves a step, but do I lose the “exact audio copy” advantage of ripping WAV files?

Is 1 step or 2 steps better?

If you have configured EAC and LAME correctly (-> wizard, as already written in the other thread you started), EAC will rip the CD to .wav format, and then automatically start LAME to convert the file to mp3. Depending on how you have setup your compression options, EAC can automatically delete the .wav files after the mp3 compression also.

Right.

This is the last warning, [B]sc_1004[/B]. You have been repeatedly asked NOT to create a new thread for every slight variation on a problem. Also you have been asked to post questions in the appropriate forum.

This is an Audio question, and we have a forum for that here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f57/

Please keep all your questions in the [B]same thread and relevant forum[/B] if at all possible. We are going to start deleting threads otherwise, and you might find your forum access restricted.

[I]Thread moved to Audio forum and merged with other EAC thread.[/I]

[QUOTE=packetloss;2144079]If you have configured EAC and LAME correctly (-> wizard, as already written in the other thread you started), EAC will rip the CD to .wav format, and then automatically start LAME to convert the file to mp3. Depending on how you have setup your compression options, EAC can automatically delete the .wav files after the mp3 compression also.[/QUOTE]

Right, but you can rip a CD directly to MP3 using the “copy compressed” option. Does this not bypass the WAV step? Or does the program automatically convert to WAV first before MP3?

No, it rips to the .wav format first, and then automatically converts the file(s) to mp3 using the external LAME encoder.