Installing itunes disabled DVD/CD drive - HELP!

I installed itunes on my PC running XP windows (Packard Bell iMedia M866).
On my first run itunes would recognise a CD inserted into the drive. When I closed it down and reopened, the computer would not recognise anything put into the CD drive anymore.
I uninstalled Windows media player, thinking that would be the problem, but it did not help. I later reinstalled Windows media player, but it still does not work.
Now my computer will not recognise any CD put into the CD drive. A CD icon does not even appear in the “My Computer” window, when inserted.

If I click on “add hardware”, the computer tells me this re the DVD/CD drive: “Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)” - (NEC DVD RW ND-2500A)

Please can somebody help, What do I need to do to get my computer to recognise CDs again?

Susie in Sydney

Welcome to the forum.

Please read the rules about cross (double) posting. Not a good start.

I’m closing the one in General Hardware & I suspect some other mod will close one of your other threads.

I’m sorry – in my desperationmy obsessive compulsive side came out.

If anyone can help me I’d appreciate it. I’m not that savvy when it comes to problems like this

Susie

Also- I wasn’t sure in which category my question belonged.

S

Hi Susie :slight_smile:

Looks like the iTunes install has messed up your upper/lower filters.

Click the link in my sig to go to the MS support page, you’ll also find a Guided Help on the page to help you through the process.

Good luck!

thanks Arachne,

Looks like that is the problem, will give it a try

yours in trepidation,
S