Installing Freemake Video Downloader

vbimport

I use Freemake Video Downloader for downloading YouTube videos.
It will usually offer better formats as well a .flv.
I usually download as .mp4 myself.
It also works with some other video sites.
The reason I’m posting this is Freemake Video Downloader comes with adware that’s too easy to accidentally install . I hope this will help prevent that for members like me that don’t want the “extra” adware.

This is the typical window of formats available to download.

Thanks Cholla for the heads up, I have noticed that most of the new programs are doing this. PLEASE read all of the pages that have a place to make a check mark or radio button. It will save YOU a lot of work and problems

Marty

Loaded with Open Candy.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2739074]Loaded with Open Candy.:)[/QUOTE]

None of my av or malware scans have shown any “Open Candy”.
At least not the way I did the installation.
Am I missing something or do I need to scan with a certain AV software to detect this ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2739075]None of my av or malware scans have shown any “Open Candy”.
At least not the way I did the installation.
Am I missing something or do I need to scan with a certain AV software to detect this ?[/QUOTE]
Monitor your incoming and outgoing networks.:slight_smile: My choice to do this type of thing is https://www.4kdownload.com/

Alan , I don’t have a packet sniffer but I have netstat agent .
I could check traffic some with it.
It’s my understanding that Open Candy is just the “unpacker” that offers adware with another softwares installer. There is always supposed to be the option to not accept the adware . At least with Open Candy . It is only supposed to gather information of whether the adware was installed or not.
That’s the information I found on it.

[QUOTE=thor21344;2739071] I have noticed that most of the new programs are doing this.

[/QUOTE]

Only freeware does this.

I would recommend Internet Download Manager instead…it works like a charm…super fast downloads…works on a huge list of video sites and music too…:iagree: However it is shareware. (30 day trial).

I used Net Stat while downloading & converting a YouTube video with Freemake.
It "Establishes " this ipaddress: ec2-54-235-78-193.compute-1.amazonaws.com .
After about 30 seconds that goes to a “Close Wait” state then disappears.
When the YouTube video is downloading these IP address show up:
dfw06s40-in-f8.1e100.net
The Who is shows them a Google .
I think this means Freemake is safe to use .
You just need to be careful doing the install.

[QUOTE=cholla;2739104]I used Net Stat while downloading & converting a YouTube video with Freemake.
It "Establishes " this ipaddress: ec2-54-235-78-193.compute-1.amazonaws.com .
After about 30 seconds that goes to a “Close Wait” state then disappears.
When the YouTube video is downloading these IP address show up:
dfw06s40-in-f8.1e100.net
The Who is shows them a Google .
I think this means Freemake is safe to use .
You just need to be careful doing the install.[/QUOTE]
Are you aware that Google has threatened companies that use YouTube downloaders? Forums also.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Macrovision3500;2739102]Only freeware does this.

I would recommend Internet Download Manager instead…it works like a charm…super fast downloads…works on a huge list of video sites and music too…:iagree: However it is shareware. (30 day trial).[/QUOTE]

Or better get Free Download Manager this doesn’t require 30 day trial and is complete freeware…

[QUOTE=thor21344;2739071]Thanks Cholla for the heads up, I have noticed that most of the new programs are doing this. PLEASE read all of the pages that have a place to make a check mark or radio button. It will save YOU a lot of work and problems

Marty[/QUOTE]

Freeware are not the only software that does this so we shouldn’t discount other software as well including paid software. It’s not that you read but check the box called Customize install or let me see what I want to install that way you can stop stealth installs or prevent installs you don’t want.

I would recommend Internet Download Manager instead…it works like a charm…super fast downloads…works on a huge list of video sites and music too…:iagree: However it is shareware. (30 day trial).[/QUOTE]

This isn’t what I call freeware I call this Trialware…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2739109]Are you aware that Google has threatened companies that use YouTube downloaders? Forums also.:)[/QUOTE]

No.

Some how it appears Freemake is using Google as their IP address .
Whether that means they are using Google in some unapproved way I don’t know.
I know I’m happy with Freemake & it’s the one I plan to use where possible. It works on most video sites.(or the one’s I use ).

When I run across a video I can’t use Freemake on I have a screen capture program that works fairly well.

It would be payware but I got it from giveawayoftheday.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2739110]Or better get Free Download Manager this doesn’t require 30 day trial and is complete freeware…[/QUOTE]

Tried it…pails in comparison to Internet Download Manager. IDM adds a download button to all the videos/music you stream. But free download manager is decent nonetheless.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2739110]
Are you aware that Google has threatened companies that use YouTube downloaders? Forums also
[/QUOTE]

Alan, can you test this with internet download manager. It’s what I use mostly. I wanna make sure there are no concerns. Thx. :cool:

[QUOTE=cholla;2739114]No.

Some how it appears Freemake is using Google as their IP address .
Whether that means they are [B]using Google in some unapproved way I don’t know.[/B]
I know I’m happy with Freemake & it’s the one I plan to use where possible. It works on most video sites.(or the one’s I use ).

When I run across a video I can’t use Freemake on I have a screen capture program that works fairly well.

It would be payware but I got it from giveawayoftheday.[/QUOTE] Someday I’ll tell you a story about YouTube downloaders and the e-mail we got. [B]Google owns YouTube[/B].

I would recommend Internet Download Manager instead…it works like a charm…super fast downloads…works on a huge list of video sites and music too…:iagree: However it is shareware. (30 day trial).[/QUOTE]IDM can’t be beat for downloading you tube Videos and much more i use it all the time.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Macrovision3500;2739116]Tried it…pails in comparison to Internet Download Manager. IDM adds a download button to all the videos/music you stream. But free download manager is decent nonetheless.

Alan, can you test this with internet download manager. It’s what I use mostly. I wanna make sure there are no concerns. Thx. :cool:[/QUOTE]
All IDM does is download the file? So how can you test anything?:confused:

If the Video is is a format I don’t want i use Ideal free software Video converter after downloading with IDM.

Quick and easy…:smiley:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2739121]All IDM does is download the file? So how can you test anything?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Well, it works on Youtube, (displays a download video button) and it works on any site that plays streaming videos/music. I know Freemake requires Youtube link input…but IDM doesn’t. But still both programs will download from Youtube nonetheless.

[QUOTE=ILLP;2739122]If the Video is is a format I don’t want i use Ideal free software Video converter after downloading with IDM.

Quick and easy…:D[/QUOTE]

Most videos on Youtube use .MP4 which is very compatible with most media players…:cool:

[QUOTE=Macrovision3500;2739126]Most videos on Youtube use .MP4 which is very compatible with most media players…:cool:[/QUOTE]many other sites do not so i just covert the files to MP4.