Installing a slave hd

vbimport

hi,
years ago i could install a new hd as a slave with no probs, now after turning grey, i seem to have lost my touch lol.

opened case, physically installed drive after setting the pins to slave.

when i go to “my computer” it doesnt show. when i go to device manager, it appears as “wdc wd1600sb-01rfao” this is the recently installed drive, i know its only a small drive but why throw it away when you can reuse it eh.

my computer cant find it and i cant see it and therefore cant use it, it also has some of my daughters old work on it , its not desperate but of course if i cant solve where i went wrong then i cant install a bigger hd at a later date.

many thanks to those who can help, yes it does appear in the bios (i forgot to say) as a slave

ron

Hi,

if you added the HDD as slave on the same cable, make sure, your primary HDD is set to Master (not Cable Select).

Also, check WDC.com website for jumper instructions. I remember WD drives had some special jumper setting requirements.

Michael

I thinking that it is because you need to go into disk managment, and format the drive, before windows will recognize it…

[quote=harley2ride;2044868]I thinking that it is because you need to go into disk managment, and format the drive, before windows will recognize it…[/quote]:disagree: This is true for a brand new drive out of the box, but this one is formatted and it has data on it.

You may have to [I][U]initialize[/U][/I] the drive in Disk Management to make it show up in Explorer (be sure not to [I]partition[/I] nor [I]format[/I] cause then you’ll stand to lose your data).