Installing a New Video Card

vbimport

Hi.
I had the problem with what I thought was a crashed HDD. It was pointed out that the problem was not likely the HDD, but a new Video Card was needed. I bought a MSI GeForce 210, I also bought a cable that would connect the VGA monitor to the Video Card.

All the hardware seems to fit, but when I turn on the machine I still get the message, "No Signal".

The driver for the new Video Card cannot be installed until the computer boots, and I cannot tell if it boots without the monitor telling me so.

Any ideas?
Thanx :confused:

What kinda motherboard do you have? And you sure you didn’t turn off the onboard video card? Check your BIOS if you can to see if the settings for BIOS to pick the right video card on boot.

The computer is an ACER PowerFH desktop. Before I installed the VC I got nothing but the message, “No Signal”. How do I check the BIOS if I cannot get any view on the monitor?

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2677715]The computer is an ACER PowerFH desktop. Before I installed the VC I got nothing but the message, “No Signal”. How do I check the BIOS if I cannot get any view on the monitor?[/QUOTE]

If you have a on board VGA socket, can you plug your VGA cable into that and see if that works. If so then you will be able to get into your bios from there.

Mr. Bill

Start your computer in safe mode. You should have another VGA output on the back of your computer besides the one on the new video card, use it. If you now see the monitor the reboot and install the new drivers and switch the VGA to the new card.

ot, Mr. Bill great minds think alike…

The VGA port also displays the message, “No Signal”. I appreciate everyone’s advice.

What is the make and model of the monitor? Does it have on-board settings (menu) and is it set for VGA?

The computer is:
ACERPOWERFH Desktop
SNID No. 64903093627

I don’t know if it has on-board settings.

It doesn’t matter if you have drivers or not - you should have a picture on your monitor.

Take the new video card out. Put your monitor cable to the onboard VGA socket. Do you have a signal?

If you do, go to bios and there will probably be an option which graphics adapter is primary (onboard or PCI-e). Select PCI-e, save and shut down the computer and reinstall the video card.

If you don’t have a signal from the onboard vga (or from the video card), we need to do some troubleshooting… Just my two bucks, but I’d go something like this:

1. Try different VGA cable or monitor. Or check the cable and the monitor in a different computer.
  2. Do you hear any beep error codes when you boot up the computer and judging by the power and HDD lights, does the computer start to load the operating system? Do check that you do have a beeper installed in the system.
  3. Check the motherboard for bad caps (bulging etc.) Wikipedia - Capacitor plague
  4. If you can, try to boot up with another power supply. Especially if it seems that OS does not start to load but fans etc. are whirring.
  5. Remove all extension cards, HDDs, DVD-drives etc.
  6. Reset BIOS via the onboard jumper
  7. Remove onboard memory and try to start.
  8. If no beep errors -> remove motherboard and cpu from the housing; if you do have beeping -> Possible cpu failure, try with another cpu. (RARE)
  9. With only motherboard, cpu and power supply installed on a “tabletop” configuration (please put esd plastic bag, and/or cardboard or something under the motherboard to avoid shorting), try to start.

If it starts okay, your housing is bent, and it shorts out the motherboard. Probably though is doesn’t start and you have a dead motherboard.

Wow, thanks for Computer Troubleshooting 101, it’ll probably be a week before I finish the homework!

• Sometimes [B]re seating video card and securing it tightly in it’s motherboard PCIe slot [/B]would do the trick (especially with the heavy long cards) :[B] keeping computer case OPEN[/B] and laying on side panel helps in testing and in keeping video card vertical and strain -free and in observing card responsiveness when booting PC : [B]card led lights behavior [/B](if applicable) and card [B]FAN behavior[/B].
  • Double checking [B]tightness video card power connectors [/B]coming from PSU (computer power sypply unit) and making sure that is it [B]getting appropriate number and layout connectors (6,8, 6+8,6x2 or 8x2pin)[/B] (might as well check on [B]PSU wattage capabilities[/B])
  • [B]Checking output cable going from Video card [/B]to monitor and favor DVI output in testing.
  • [B]Exclude other worries like incidental hardware issues happened during first new hardware installation[/B]: non connected fan, memory modules pushed out their slots, etc.
    don’t forget to power down the tower, and disconnect power cable, discharge your body against metal object (tower chassis would do) before touching any hardware.

[B]Finally the video card could be defective:[/B]
having the older or any video card on the side could help quickly exclude all the above possibilities by doing a [B]simple video card swap ![/B]

Good luck.

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2677812]- Sometimes [B]re seating video card and securing it tightly in it’s motherboard PCIe slot [/B]would do the trick (especially with the heavy long cards) :[B] keeping computer case OPEN[/B] and laying on side panel helps in testing and in keeping video card vertical and strain -free and in observing card responsiveness when booting PC : [B]card led lights behavior [/B](if applicable) and card [B]FAN behavior[/B].

• Double checking [B]tightness video card power connectors [/B]coming from PSU (computer power sypply unit) and making sure that is it [B]getting appropriate number and layout connectors (6,8, 6+8,6x2 or 8x2pin)[/B] (might as well check on [B]PSU wattage capabilities[/B])
  • [B]Checking output cable going from Video card [/B]to monitor and favor DVI output in testing.
  • [B]Exclude other worries like incidental hardware issues happened during first new hardware installation[/B]: non connected fan, memory modules pushed out their slots, etc.
    don’t forget to power down the tower, and disconnect power cable, discharge your body against metal object (tower chassis would do) before touching any hardware.

[B]Finally the video card could be defective:[/B]
having the older or any video card on the side could help quickly exclude all the above possibilities by doing a [B]simple video card swap ![/B]

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Also you should check the compatibility of the video card as well just in case it halts boot-up to the OS, or your power supply may be too low for the video card to run like booting up without it installed.

I know this is most probably not the issue but make sure you ground yourself before installing anything, you could short out the new card with Static electricity. It happened to me.:sad:

Thanks, helpful!

In the Bios check whether your PCI express card is selected as default display, and hook display cable to it ( not to the integrated graphic on your motherboard)