Installed v6 - can someone check their registry

I have uninstalled DVDFab v5 and just installed v6.0.1.0 and noted that when clicking the registration key it had no program associated with it. I also noted that the old v5 registration keys still had DVDFab v5 associated with them.

Opening the registry and searching around shows that there are alot of occurrences of DVDFab5, DVDFabGold5, DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 (in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT subkey for instance). Whilst these don’t concern me too much I was wondering why there was no mention of any similar entries associated with DVDFab6?

[QUOTE=richard_g;2280174]I have uninstalled DVDFab v5 and just installed v6.0.1.0 and noted that when clicking the registration key it had no program associated with it. I also noted that the old v5 registration keys still had DVDFab v5 associated with them.

Opening the registry and searching around shows that there are alot of occurrences of DVDFab5, DVDFabGold5, DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 (in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT subkey for instance). Whilst these don’t concern me too much I was wondering why there was no mention of any similar entries associated with DVDFab6?[/QUOTE]
If you enter the key file you were sent with DVD Fab V6 ( without the askerisks) and with the program closed it should register just fine. If you do not have a key file for V6 get one from here

http://www.dvdfab.com/retrieveregkey.htm

I have got a v6 registration key however after installing v6 and clicking the v6 registration key it was not associated with the program (I manually associated it by selecting the program and ticking the box so it always opens files of this type with the selected program).

It was following this that I thought I’d investigate why v5 registration keys where still associated with v5 of the program (even though it had been uninstalled) and why v6 registration keys were not automatically associated with v6 of the program.

To completely uninstall version 5 look for a post from Stormjumper as he has complete uninstall instruction for XP and Vista, follow his instructions to the T

[QUOTE=richard_g;2280184]I have got a v6 registration key however after installing v6 and clicking the v6 registration key it was not associated with the program (I manually associated it by selecting the program and ticking the box so it always opens files of this type with the selected program).

It was following this that I thought I’d investigate why v5 registration keys where still associated with v5 of the program (even though it had been uninstalled) and why v6 registration keys were not automatically associated with v6 of the program.[/QUOTE]

When you associated the key file did you associate it with the DVDFab 5 exe or the V6 exe which is located in the DVDFab 6 folder.

[QUOTE=richard_g;2280184]I have got a v6 registration key however after installing v6 and clicking the v6 registration key it was not associated with the program (I manually associated it by selecting the program and ticking the box so it always opens files of this type with the selected program).

It was following this that I thought I’d investigate why v5 registration keys where still associated with v5 of the program (even though it had been uninstalled) and why v6 registration keys were not automatically associated with v6 of the program.[/QUOTE]

If I understand what you’ve typed here, I think you are getting the DVDFab registration key, sent to you by email when your payment was rec’d, and some of the various items in the O/S registry (two totally different things) confused.

The registration key for DVDFab doesn’t need to be associated with anything - all it does is write some values to the O/S registry that enable the full version of DVDFab for you. (and that’s only a one-time event - at least, until a new version is introduced, and new keys are required).

The registry values you are still seeing associated with DVDFab 5 (and other programs) are not removed by the un-install process. If, however, you change a file association (such as change VOB to Fab6), the O/S registry will automatically be changed, and selection of that particular file type will always cause DVDFab v6 to be loaded. (Not always great, when all you want to do is watch a ripped file on something like VLC Media Player, to make sure it ripped OK).

File associations have to be done manually by you, as the O/S has no way of reading your mind to know which file types you want associated with which programs.

Have I understood your comments correctly?

OC

:slight_smile:

OC thats correct. The associations I was seeing were the file associations between the DVDFab v5 keys and the DVD Fab exe. I have now removed these by from the registry (I am not adverse to a bit of registry hacking).

What I don’t understand is that I never manually associated these with the v5 exe - it happened automatically when I first installed v5 last year. I know this for certain as I only had keys for DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 so if I had manually associated them by clicking the registration keys (and selecting the program to open with) then I would only have had entries for DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT subkey. As I also had entries for DVDFab5 and DVDFabGold5 without having a registration key then these would have had to have been created by some other method (i.e. associated automatically when the program was originally installed).

All’s sorted now though - just a mystery as to how these originally got created.

[QUOTE=richard_g;2280566]OC thats correct. The associations I was seeing were the file associations between the DVDFab v5 keys and the DVD Fab exe. I have now removed these by from the registry (I am not adverse to a bit of registry hacking).

What I don’t understand is that I never manually associated these with the v5 exe - it happened automatically when I first installed v5 last year. I know this for certain as I only had keys for DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 so if I had manually associated them by clicking the registration keys (and selecting the program to open with) then I would only have had entries for DVDFabMobile and DVDFabPlatinum5 in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT subkey. As I also had entries for DVDFab5 and DVDFabGold5 without having a registration key then these would have had to have been created by some other method (i.e. associated automatically when the program was originally installed).

All’s sorted now though - just a mystery as to how these originally got created.[/QUOTE]

It’s no mystery to me…the loader for DVDFab 5 was specifically written to make those file associations as you loaded Fab5. (the loader can’t distinguish between Gold & Platinum - besides, better to cover each with a generic-type loader). As far as I know, your clicking on the registration key and setting up a file association to it did nothing like you are suggesting…

What’s a mystery to me is why Fab6’s loader didn’t accomplish the same thing for Fab6 - it’s the same loader - unless it wasn’t updated to change the associations to Fab6…

You may not have a problem going into the registry to play with the values, but be very careful what you play with…

No need to do that for the file associations, though…clicking on a file type associated with an un-installed program would have caused the system to re-prompt you for a new association, re-writing the registry as soon as you did automatically…saving you a romp with regedit through dangerous grounds.

OC

:slight_smile:

Hey Tor
You are right it is related to the loader of V6 which differs from V5 on how and what is modified in the registryand it’s location :wink: and since the op has the issue resolved no need to go into detail :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2280629]Hey Tor
You are right it is related to the loader of V6 which differs from V5 on how and what is modified in the registryand it’s location :wink: and since the op has the issue resolved no need to go into detail :)[/QUOTE]

Probably not, Tim…but the op also suggested that he’s ‘not adverse to a bit of registry hacking’…

Some incorrect ‘registry hacking’ can render his system totally useless, necessitating a reformat and complete system reload…never much fun to do…

And since there seemed to be a bit of confusion re the O/S registry and Fab’s registration key and what it does, the extra detail didn’t seem out of place…

Yes, I’m dazzled by the sound of my voice, too…

Tor

:bigsmile:

I dont even understand the importance of this subject. Does V5 work . [B]YES[/B]. Does V 6 Work , [B]YES.[/B] Can you uninstall either one and have the other work [B]YES. [/B]What difference does the associations in the registry have to do with anything here. I am lost.:doh::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2280649]I dont even understand the importance of this subject. Does V5 work . [B]YES[/B]. Does V 6 Work , [B]YES.[/B] Can you uninstall either one and have the other work [B]YES. [/B]What difference does the associations in the registry have to do with anything here. I am lost.:doh::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I see you are lost in this conversation which has nothing to do with if the program works or not or the ability to uninstall, and the OP’s issue has been resolved so no further help is required :bigsmile:

Hope you are enjoying the long weekend :flower:

Hello again.

Yes my issue is resolved however after installing v6 on another machine (which I occasionally use) I discovered that the file associations for v6 (which are DVDFab6, DVDFab6BluRay2Bluray, DVDFab6DVD2DVD, DVDFab6DVD2Mobile, DVDFab6FabFile2Mobile and DVDFab6FabFileMover) appeared on this install.

Strange I thought as they did not appear on the other v6 install. After further investigation I discovered that it happens when you tick the option “Add autoplay handler” found in general options. It is this that adds the filetype associations.

Mystery solved I guess.

By the way as I do like to tinker with the registry - I always take full system backups regularly and backup the entire registry before I do any hacking just in case I totally knacker it. I recommend everyone at least takes a backup of the registry before making any changes.