Installed pair of SH-S222A drives

vbimport

Sorry, but I think I’m going to be long-winded.

I’ve always had trouble of some sort with my external Sony DRX-820U, especially when trying to use this software to burn a DVD.

I had (and still have) an internal CD burner and an internal DVD reader. I just finished swapping those out for a pair of the Samsung SH-S222A internal IDE DVD burners.

I jumpered one Samsung as Master (E:) and one as Slave (F:), with the Master at the end of the IDE cable.

Version 8.0.6.8 isn’t happy with my changes. My E: (Master) starts to read a disc, but I keep getting read errors (with the software asking if it should Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All. Doesn’t matter what I chose, the read error just keeps popping up. Video preview might start, but then it shuts off when the errors occur.

Version 8.1.0.1Qt is also giving me those read errors. If I close the error and try to rip a disc, the software hangs at “Analyzing of DVD started.”

Basically, I wanted to read from one drive and write to the other. I thought this might avoid the problems (coaster after coaster) I’ve had in the past when using the single external burner and DVDFab.

This is an older machine with an ASUS P4PE mobo, Windows XP Pro with SP3.

I was assuming my mobo would support internal DVD burners. I just burned a disc with ImgBurn in one of the Samsungs, and that disc seems fine.

If I open My Computer, both E: and F: are listed as a DVD-RAM Drive, just like my external Sony.

I guess what I’m confounded by is why Fab is giving me the read errors shortly after the video preview begins.

If I needed device drivers, then ImgBurn wouldn’t have been able to burn a disc just now, so I assume that’s not a problem. Thing is, I have seen some older XP machines completely unable to access internal DVD burners. I hope I’m not going to have a related issue and be unable to use these things.

Thanks if you can help me out.

OK, I just jumpered both drives to cable select. Fab kinda hangs for a looooong while before reading the disc I have in my top drive. Eventually, it spits out the read error message:

[B]Error while reading! Please choose what to do? [Retry/Abort/Ignore/Ignore All]
[/B]
So, cable select is clearly not going to help me.

Just put my old CD burner back in (as Master), along with one of the new Samsung DVD burners (as Slave). I get the same read error. Fab will not read any disc in one of these Samsung drives. If I put the disc in my external Sony DVD burner, Fab reads it just fine.

Here’s what I’m trying right now: I’m going to read a disc from the external Sony drive and have Fab burn straight to that internal Samsung drive. Bet it hangs…

Well, Fab successfully burned the backup using the internal Samsung drive. But it won’t read anything from the drive.

Anyone have an idea why not?

Have you checked the transfer mode of the drives/burners to make sure they are in DMA and not in PIO ?

Also what setting do you have for “Pathplayer” ? are both drives having problems reading ? if so have you tried cleaning the disc ?

This is nuts: Under Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers\Secondary IDE Channel, [B]there is no Advanced Settings tab![/B] That is supposed to be where you choose your transfer mode.

Same deal in the separate section for DVD/CD-ROM drives–no Advanced Settings tab.

I have Intel Application Accelerator installed, which must prevent this tab from showing. I’ve launched it, and it reports the drive currently in UDMA-4.

You could try this …

Method 1:

1.Open your registry and find or create the key below.
2.Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called “DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES” and set it according to the value data below.
3.Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
Value Name: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (1 = show all hidden devices)

Then open up device manager & select to view hidden devices.

Anything greyed out is not active, but you may find a whole bunch of entries there for your old drives, drivers & software that need to be removed.
If it’s greyed out, then it’s a case of right click on the entry & uninstall.

I had a similar problem & this worked for me. Old low level drivers conflicting with new kit leading to Windows getting confused.

Needless to say, Registry editing can be dangerous [although this is about as safe as it gets] so backup your existing registry data first.

If you’re not comfy editing the registry directly, there is more than one way to skin this particular cat.

Method 2:

Set the environment variable (in properties of My Computer):

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

<reboot>

start device manager

Method 3:

start a new Command Prompt (cmd.exe)
enter "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"
enter “start devmgmt.msc” to start the Device Manager

Click on View/Show hidden devices, now you will see the hidden devices as grey icons.

Hope that helps

Is the rig from DELL ? they have been known to have it disabled in BIOS.

anyway what about the setting for Pathplayer ? and are both drives unable or having trouble reading ? if so is it with all DVDs and Cd’s or just a few ? and if it is with just certain disc’s have you tried cleaning the problematic disc’s ?

Sorry, fellas, but one of my post edits didn’t take hold.

It’s not a Dell machine; I built it from parts many years ago.

I tried multiple DVDs to the same result: a read error that appears shortly after the video preview begins to play, and continues to reappear no matter what.

The DVDs would read fine in my external USB DVD burner, but never in my internal Samsung DVD burners.

No changes to the PathPlayer setting affected the read error.

The drives are recognized in the OS and by other software. I was able to burn a DVD using ImgBurn.

[B]Apparently, here’s the answer:[/B]

Under Common Settings —> DVD / Blu-ray —> Read, the I/O mode was set to Auto (this must be the default, because I’ve never messed with it). I set it to ASPI, and the read errors stopped popping up.

I’m going to test this out a little more, see if anything else suddenly stopped working, try to rip some discs, etc. I’ll report back.

Of course, something else breaks…

Setting the I/O mode to ASPI prevents the software from seeing anything in the external Sony DRX-820U drive! No read errors; the software never starts to examine the contents of the drive when I put a DVD in it.

As soon as I put the I/O mode back to Auto, Fab started to read from the external drive again.

So, it seems I can have one or the other, but not both. Set I/O to ASPI, and my internal drives work, but the external drive breaks. Set I/O to Auto, and my external drive works, but the internal drives break (as far as reading/ripping goes). That’s flaky.

Hopefully changing the I/O setting does the trick, auto is default which works on most system but has been known to be the wrong setting for some users.

[QUOTE=teh roxxors;2594352]Of course, something else breaks…

Setting the I/O mode to ASPI prevents the software from seeing anything in the external Sony DRX-820U drive! No read errors; the software never starts to examine the contents of the drive when I put a DVD in it.

As soon as I put the I/O mode back to Auto, Fab started to read from the external drive again.

So, it seems I can have one or the other, but not both. Set I/O to ASPI, and my internal drives work, but the external drive breaks. Set I/O to Auto, and my external drive works, but the internal drives break (as far as reading/ripping goes). That’s flaky.[/QUOTE]

You posted this while I was typing :smiley:

Please open the side panel of your case and make sure the IDE cables are securely seated, you may even want to disconnect the IDE cables from the motherboard and blow out any dust that may have gotten into the slots.

One more question… are the IDE cables 80 wire or 40 wire ?

If the cables weren’t connected properly, the hardware wouldn’t work no matter what I did in Fab or what software I used. The drive works depending on the setting of the I/O mode in Fab; that leads me to believe the problem is in Fab, not my cabling. And other software is working with the drives. The [I]only [/I]software having trouble with the drives is DVDFab.

I need to look at troubleshooting Fab instead of the hardware. Maybe there’s some other setting I’ve missed?

[QUOTE=teh roxxors;2594337]

I have Intel Application Accelerator installed,[/QUOTE]Get rid of this ugly source of trouble.

Setting the I/O mode to ASPI prevents the software from seeing anything in the external Sony DRX-820U drive!
Quite normal. Aspi is for IDE drives on Windows95. Not for modern NT based systems.

Michael

What benefit is there removing or not installing IAA?

I’ll just use one internal DVD burner for now, and use it just to burn discs. I can still read from the external.

Have you checked for any hidden devices causing conflicts ?
If you’ve swapped out drives & switched to & from an external then there will be loads of phantom entries.
Imgburn is very good for using what is there but other software [Nero, Fab] I’ve known get very confused & will only work in one mode or another because it ‘sees’ the entry that isn’t there first, rather than your actual drive entry.
What you’ve said so far sounds very familiar. Happened to me when I upgraded a burner.

[See post #6]

I shall go back under my rock now :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=teh roxxors;2594436]What benefit is there removing or not installing IAA?[/quote]Easy. Less trouble with optical drives. Plus IAA has no benefit on Windows XP and newer with latest Service Pack installed.

Michael

That’s good to know. I had always assumed IAA was a driver or set of drivers for Intel chipsets and had to be installed for the hardware to operate.

Thanks.

Can it be uninstalled via Add/Remove effectively, or should I wait for the next Windows reinstall?

Add/Remove Software should work. After reboot, Windows should redetect your drives and install its built-in drivers.

Michael

Ooh…that didn’t turn out so good.

As suggested, I removed IAA with Add/Remove programs. I noticed a few minor differences in system performance:

[B]Boot time was slower.

Time to access/view a hard drive’s contents was many times faster. This was especially true on my larger external hard drives. It used to take 5-8 seconds before the contents of the drive would appear in Windows Explorer. With IAA removed, it was almost immediate.[/B]

I played some games, I ran DVDRebuilder, and this morning I tried to create an ISO with DVDDecrypter. This ISO was to go on an external 2TB drive.

The software ran into some crazy error and stopped talking to the external drive. Never seen it before. It just said it couldn’t create the file. The computer was entirely gimped at this point. It wouldn’t restart through the Start menu. Windows XP wouldn’t load up after a hard reset. I had to power down manually and restart in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, I reinstalled IAA. Windows XP was able to load after a reboot. That external hard drive had to be unplugged and reconnected to the system before it would appear in Windows.

I just finished creating that ISO I mentioned, without any problems.

Safe to say, I’m stuck with IAA. Whatever Intel chipset I have on my mobo, it’s a good bet it’s not going to like working with large hard drives without IAA.

It really, really sucks having an old computer.

As SJ asked is your IDE cables 40 or 80 wire, you will need 80 wire for the burners to work properly