Installed new wireless card, now can't access the internet

vbimport

Now, I don’t know if this falls under hardware but since this started with installation of new hardware.
So, here’s the problem:
My old wireless adapter card, which has lasted through 4 computers over 6 years finally crapped out. I went and bought a new ASUS PCE-N15 wireless-n adapter. Installed it, ran the install software. Re-entered the security key (not my personal network) and got a better connection than before. It says I am connected to the internet, but I can’t download or access any webpages, except sporadically and briefly. I did a websearch on my phone here for any similar problems and their solutions. Pretty much every one I found was a virus scanner had accidentally removed neccessary files and to use a winsock fix. Since I am running Windows 7, I had to download a batch file. This didn’t work, tried a couple other things, such as removing the the anti-virus, as well as the anti-spyware, et al. Finally culminating, in my frustration, in a re-install of the OS. Having finished that, and all other setup, I find myself with the problem remaining. Help?

Thanks,
Vuu

[QUOTE=Vuutarros;2618766]Now, I don’t know if this falls under hardware but since this started with installation of new hardware.
So, here’s the problem:
My old wireless adapter card, which has lasted through 4 computers over 6 years finally crapped out. I went and bought a new ASUS PCE-N15 wireless-n adapter. Installed it, ran the install software. Re-entered the security key (not my personal network) and got a better connection than before. It says I am connected to the internet, but I can’t download or access any webpages, except sporadically and briefly. I did a websearch on my phone here for any similar problems and their solutions. Pretty much every one I found was a virus scanner had accidentally removed neccessary files and to use a winsock fix. Since I am running Windows 7, I had to download a batch file. This didn’t work, tried a couple other things, such as removing the the anti-virus, as well as the anti-spyware, et al. Finally culminating, in my frustration, in a re-install of the OS. Having finished that, and all other setup, I find myself with the problem remaining. Help?

Thanks,
Vuu[/QUOTE]

So if you reintalled the O/S was that factory restore or a complete wipe fresh new O/S install? If new O/S clean install you should go to the manufacture site for the wifi and get their latest drivers of which should fix your connection problem. And since that is a desktop wifi you should get the most latest drivers as mention from Asus or the chipset for the wifi site to get the card working properly. Same goes with laptop if you use the O/S wifi drivers it will not work properly or connect at all and require you to use the actually drivers from computer builder site or chipset site that manufacture the wifi chipset to get their hardware working correctly.

run “ipconfig /all” from the commandline and post the output.

The Windows 7 installer will usually make both the wired and any connected wireless work during the install.

a built-in “factory restore” will USUALLY load the drivers for the original WiFi card, not any other one you’ve installed.

Frankly I’d say your best bet is to see if you can connect to the internet via WIRED internet and go to
Microsoft updates and look in the Optional or hardware updates.

Typically M$ will find you a driver that will work well enough.

Failing that go to the manufacturer’s website (of the card you installed)

Personally I don’t know why anyone runs a Desktop on WiFi.

AD

[QUOTE=Vuutarros;2618766] I went and bought a new ASUS PCE-N15 wireless-n adapter. Installed it, ran the install software. Re-entered the security key (not my personal network) and got a better connection than before. It says I am connected to the internet, but I can’t download or access any webpages, except sporadically and briefly. Vuu[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what you mean by (not my personal network,) but if you have the right Security Key it should work. These Wireless Network Cards have Connection Utilities. Make sure you use this and put in the proper settings. If you are connected to the Wireless Router but not the Internet, you have to make sure the Wireless Router is connected to the Internet, and Allan is correct, Desktops should be Hard Wired. :cool:

Check if the router you want to use has MAC filtering active. Perhaps your new WLAN card needs to be registered in the router.

Michael

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2618804]
Personally I don’t know why anyone runs a Desktop on WiFi.

AD[/QUOTE]

You be surprised not everyone can rewire their house with Cat5 or Cat6 networking. I know of a co woker and my brother that has their desktop on wifi because it is unfeasible to do wiring or the amount of work to just lay down network cable.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2618856]You be surprised not everyone can rewire their house with Cat5 or Cat6 networking. I know of a co woker and my brother that has their desktop on wifi because it is unfeasible to do wiring or the amount of work to just lay down network cable.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

I have 2 desk tops that are connected on wifi . Was unable to run cat5 cables to both. Works great, no problems yet.

Mr. Bill :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Vuutarros;2618766]Now, I don’t know if this falls under hardware but since this started with installation of new hardware.
So, here’s the problem:

Thanks,
Vuu[/QUOTE]
I have 2 of the exact same wireless cards installed and I am using a Cisco E-4200 router. They are by far the best wireless cards I have ever had, Iam getting 300mps on both computers and they are located about 200 feet from the router. One upstairs and one in a den downstairs.
You do realize that even though they are PCIE, they do not get installed in the PCIe lane, they get installed in the small socket above the PCI-E lane.