Installed my new wd4000kd last night, does this seem right?

vbimport

Ok let me just start off by saying dotn every buy a gateway 842gm if you plan on upgrading.

I got my western digital 400gb HDD last night and opened up my case just to realize there was only one bay to put my hard drive in without tearing the PC apart. And that one bay happened to be the bay with my other hard drive in it so i had to stick it in a spot that was a cenimeter away from my other drive. I read you shouldnt stick hard drives next to eachother but i didnt feel like taking my pc aopart to put it in the other bay.

Ok i stuck it in this bay and mounted it only to realize that the legacy power connector “DID NOT REACH THE HDD”. i was using a Western digital secureconnect cable and needed a legacy power connector to connect to the HDD for power. Well that totally ruined evverything and i was back to sqaure one.

Now i had to take apartt the PC just to stick this drive in the other 3.5" bay. Of course with gateway’s horrible manufacturing skills, to do this i had to take themain ball bearing fan off the motherboard, unhook atleast 5 wires to get them out of my way, bend some medal out of the way just to get the thing in!

Finally it was in, but geuss what. The holes on the case were off centered and i wasnt able to screw this drive in so i left it resting on the edes of the bay. It was alil snug and i dont think i should worry to much(though i dont know much about HD’s).

Ok i turned my PC on and when windows started i got this error message :
RUNDLL
Error loading C:\Windows\system32
vCpl.dll
The process cannot access the filebecause it is being used by another process.

Well everything turned out to be ok and my hard drive is running fine and it formatted fine.

Can anybody answer a couple questions for me :

1. ok what is that message about, should i be worried?
  2. since i banged this hard drive around to get it inthe bay, wil it be ok?
  3. wil this drive degrade faster or go bad faster because it is not screwed in a bay and laying on the bays edges???

I highly recommend that you find some way to get at least one screw holding the drive in place. As for the error message, was it a one time issue, or does it show up every time you boot.

If you can get one screw in it, and the message is no longer appearing, I would not be concerned.

yeah the message was a one time thing.

Hmmmm so your saying as long as it is secured and doesnt move, it should be good?

What about the HD not being “held” by the screws, it is being “held” by it is laying flat on the edges of the bay?(the bay is not touching the circuit board though)

Find some way to get at least one screw holding it firmly in place! Even if you have to drill a hole. Just don’t drop any metal findings into the case anywhere…

drilled a hole and its firmly in place now.

Just don’t drop any metal findings into the case anywhere

why?

well… seeing as the metal shards are conductive it can cause a short, i would have took the machine apart before drilling the case and cleaned it out properly.

Hmmmm, this looks familiar. :rolleyes:
Seriously, battering around a 400GB hard-drive is a good way to brick your drive. Your machine is a media-centre PC, but I’m not sure if this has a proprietary mainboard. If not, get a case that will give you the elbow-room to upgrade and work inside the PC.
Also when you’ve finished rearranging the cables, make sure you’ve kept the unused power connectors tucked away, so there’s no chance of a cable dropping on to a motherboard component.
Having said all that, if you didn’t know that loose metal objects - like metal filings - could destroy a powered-on system then I’d suggest you take it to a qualified technician next time.

:frowning:
How do i get these medal flings out?

Seriously, battering around a 400GB hard-drive is a good way to brick your drive.
what does brick the drive mean?

Also when you’ve finished rearranging the cables, make sure you’ve kept the unused power connectors tucked away, so there’s no chance of a cable dropping on to a motherboard component.
what if a cable wire is touching my pci express card? or if a cable wire(not the connector on it) touches the motherboard?

if the drive is working properly now, then its not bricked is it?

Brick the drive means killing it and turning it into something as useful in your PC as a housebrick.

How to get the filings out? Hoover the inside of the case, making sure you have unpluged your PC from the mains.

Given your level of knowledge it might be an idea to use a local PC technician to do the work for now. After all you don’t want to turn the PC into a door stop.

Hoover the inside of the case, making sure you have unpluged your PC from the mains.
with my hands or get a little sweeper thing?

You can never know that you’ve got all the filings out because you drilled holes while all the components were still inside the case. Filings can get in all sorts of out-of-reach places. Hoovering inside will help but you can never be sure you’ve got them all.

My recommendation is to remove all the components from the case. Then throw away the existing case as in my opinion it’s unsafe to use and buy a new case as I mentioned before. Get a can of compressed air and go over all the components individually to ensure there’s no filings present. Dust the surface you operate on after cleaning each component. Do this carefully and take some time over the job.

From there, reinstall the components into the new case. If this sounds daunting to you, please I urge you take the machine to a repair centre or find a good PC tech. It will undoubtedly save you a lot of stress and money.

Hoovering inside will help but you can never be sure you’ve got them all.

Get a can of compressed air and go over all the components individually to ensure there’s no filings present.
Ok is compressed air hoovering, how do i hoover? and if hoovering is not compressed air, which on should i do first?
and can i do these 2 things with the components in the case and the PC turned off?

Dust the surface you operate on after cleaning each component. Do this carefully and take some time over the job.

Can i dust with the components in the case and the PC turned off? what should i dust with?