Installation/recovery disc(s) for windows xp MCE 2005

vbimport

I have a computer (compaq presario) that came with Windows XP Media Center 2005. I even have the sticker with the serial # on the side of the hard drive to prove it;). Long story short, after some ‘misfortune’, a well meaning friend convinced me that wiping my hard drive & installing a trial version of windows 64 would fix the problem. Having done that, we could not find a sound driver and well meaning friend #2 installs vectorlinux for me. It works fine for net surfing, but I really miss the simplicity of windows as far as installing programs and support for peripherals (there’s no available drivers for lexmark printers on linux!).

At the current time, win64’s trial period has expired, and any recovery programs or data have been deleted thanks to friend #1’s hard drive wipe. I have no physical recovery disc as I understand these must be made from off the HD (had I only realized that before I said ‘sure, wipe the hard drive, I trust you.’).

So you see, I have paid the manufacturer for the original license but am in need of recovery discs to reinstall the program. I’ve come to understand to my dismay Microsoft is definitely not #1 as far as customer service goes (unless you want to fill Bill Gates’ coffers). Is there a place I can go to simply download, or can I order them from somewhere without having to shell out $100 for new?

Thanks for any suggestions. This issue has been bugging me for months and I hope I can find help here…

Jamie

Hi and Welcome,

there is no (legal) download for any Windows version (apart from trials from MS).
You should contact HP/compaq support if you can buy a set of recovery discs from them.

Michael

Maybe you should try one of the mainstream linux distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. And where did you get the idea that there are no Lexmark printer drivers for linux? By the way, I actually use Vector Linux on an old laptop and found that it functions quite well, but as I mentioned, maybe one of the mainstream distros would suit you better

[QUOTE=jamieren;2171995]I have a computer (compaq presario) that came with Windows XP Media Center 2005. I even have the sticker with the serial # on the side of the hard drive to prove it;). Long story short, after some ‘misfortune’, a well meaning friend convinced me that wiping my hard drive & installing a trial version of windows 64 would fix the problem. Having done that, we could not find a sound driver and well meaning friend #2 installs vectorlinux for me. It works fine for net surfing, but I really miss the simplicity of windows as far as installing programs and support for peripherals (there’s no available drivers for lexmark printers on linux!).

At the current time, win64’s trial period has expired, and any recovery programs or data have been deleted thanks to friend #1’s hard drive wipe. I have no physical recovery disc as I understand these must be made from off the HD (had I only realized that before I said ‘sure, wipe the hard drive, I trust you.’).

So you see, I have paid the manufacturer for the original license but am in need of recovery discs to reinstall the program. I’ve come to understand to my dismay Microsoft is definitely not #1 as far as customer service goes (unless you want to fill Bill Gates’ coffers). Is there a place I can go to simply download, or can I order them from somewhere without having to shell out $100 for new?

Thanks for any suggestions. This issue has been bugging me for months and I hope I can find help here…

Jamie[/QUOTE]

Sorry, no one can offer much assistance on this…:cop: unless you buy the os…
unless you wanna download Windows Vista Ultimate
on CNET Download.com hahahahaha…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jamieren;2171995]I have a computer (compaq presario) that came with Windows XP Media Center 2005. I even have the sticker with the serial # on the side of the hard drive to prove it;). Long story short, after some ‘misfortune’, a well meaning friend convinced me that wiping my hard drive & installing a trial version of windows 64 would fix the problem. Having done that, we could not find a sound driver and well meaning friend #2 installs vectorlinux for me. It works fine for net surfing, but I really miss the simplicity of windows as far as installing programs and support for peripherals (there’s no available drivers for lexmark printers on linux!).

Jamie[/QUOTE]

I find that your friend isn’t a well meaning friend at all IMO. The friend would’ve used his/her smarts to first find what was the problem with your MCE before evening attempting to wipe your drive with another O/S. They should pay you the price of the recovery disk since from what your describing they didn’t provide reliable service or help. You should go with the MOD advice and get the compaq recovery disk from HP and restore your compaq back to factory settings. To reformat or reinstall the O/S let alone another O/S that now doesn’t work is the last resort I would recommend someone to do. Only and after only you figure out what was caused the problem and downloaded and saved the needed update on separate flash memory to install later should you do a wipe of the HDD.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2172031]Maybe you should try one of the mainstream linux distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. And where did you get the idea that there are no Lexmark printer drivers for linux? By the way, I actually use Vector Linux on an old laptop and found that it functions quite well, but as I mentioned, maybe one of the mainstream distros would suit you better[/QUOTE]

Heh heh. I guess I’ve been chastened!:o (It was on a help forum I read it). I’m sure you would get along with Fred (friend #2) like peas & carrots! Maybe I should introduce the two of you someday… Personally, I’m just a bit too lazy (er, or dumb?) to do the research necessary to understand/keep up with linux. I’m sure as it has been produced & modded as a labor of love many of it’s variants are superior to Windows.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve contacted HP (Compaq’s mother company?) and am in the process of acquiring the discs, so far the price is $42.04 with promise of less if I’m patient…

Coolcolors, the exact issue was the fact that I had a little (understatement!) disagreement with the missus over gaming. I decided to delete everything. After which, she said “well, you didn’t have to go and do that”. At that point I thought I might be able to bring some of the ‘fun stuff’ back with a system restore, which didn’t work of course. That was when friend #1 said “I wipe my HD regularly to keep it operating at peak performance”. You know the rest of the story. So in summary, it was not due to a virus or any fault of the machine, just human stupidity.