Installation of Chrome and Firefox can be blocked after Windows 10 Anniversary update

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Installation of Chrome and Firefox can be blocked after Windows 10 Anniversary update[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/cdc92596-a128-4b9c-a2cb-11b1f3fa192f-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft has added a feature to Windows 10 Anniversary Update that makes it possible for parents to block the installation of Chrome and Firefox by their children. The feature is part of Microsoft Family, a tool for parental control.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/installation-chrome-firefox-can-blocked-windows-10-anniversary-update-80267/](http://www.myce.com/news/installation-chrome-firefox-can-blocked-windows-10-anniversary-update-80267/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

How convenient.

Have those at Microsoft Flipped Their Lids. Dead Stupid. In it not time that the EU done something about these Underhand Tactics. ?

Have those at Microsoft Flipped Their Lids. Dead Stupid. In it not time that the EU done something about these Underhand Tactics. ?
What Tactics? Giving users the option to block installation of software they don’t want other people installing on their PCs? Are all the users here illiterate?

[QUOTE=Shammil;2779764]What Tactics? Giving users the option to block installation of software they don’t want other people installing on their PCs? Are all the users here illiterate?[/QUOTE]

They are not giving the option to block installation
Windows Family automatically blocks installation, as per the link, and the the user has to go in after to allow usage of other browsers.
Funny how they automatically block the top two browsers.
Conflict of interest? How about revenue generation from links in Edge, not to mention BING!!

But they didnt block Tor , thats quite a poor choice.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2779772]But they didnt block Tor , thats quite a poor choice.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t Tor based on FireFox

Actually, you can try this
Download Tor browser
Use 7zip to extract the files from the installer
Check the files in the resulting folder
One of them is firefox

In theory that should work good idea Gonca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already tried it to see if Tor browser is based on firefox
Firefox is part of the Tor browser installer

They are not giving the option to block installation

They are, and in your own comment you detail it. This is just part of Windows Family for those who install it, but given the FUD here I can see no one here knows what they are talking about.

[QUOTE=Shammil;2779798]They are, and in your own comment you detail it. This is just part of Windows Family for those who install it, but given the FUD here I can see no one here knows what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]
Then Enlighten us? Making general assumptions about posters and posting helps no one and only shows your bias here. So again Enlighten us will ya?

This Windows 10 tactics is more reason to dump Windows 10. They are doing it to themselves and have no one to blame them except themselves for their own debacle.

[QUOTE=Shammil;2779798]They are, and in your own comment you detail it. This is just part of Windows Family for those who install it, but given the FUD here [B]I can see no one here knows what they are talking about.[/QUOTE][/B]

. Have you met everyone here ? Why don’t you look around our informative forum and then make your assessment that “[B] no one here knows what they are talking about[/B]” I think you might find that we have some extremely knowledgeable members here.

Shammil is right, the installation of the browsers is only blocked when using Windows Family and it can be disabled, from the story:

It also makes it possible to block certain apps, games or website. According to Microsoft other browsers don’t offer similar features and therefore Windows Family will automatically block the installation of Google’s Chrome and Mozilla’s Firefox browser. The company writes, “Most commonly used browsers don’t have web filtering. To keep your children safer, we’ll automatically block these browsers on their devices. You can always choose to allow your child to use other browsers.”

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2779810]Shammil is right, the installation of the browsers is only blocked when using Windows Family and it can be disabled, from the story:[/QUOTE]

Most of the kids nowadays know their way around Windows better than most of the adults, so that may be a useless option.:bigsmile:

I’ve not seen issues to date with the Anniversary update  on Chrome  with 50 plus upgraded systems Ive worked on since its release. None of my clients have called me or reported this issue ???  Strange Then it my be my Developers  install version  . Strange!

They are, and in your own comment you detail it. This is just part of Windows Family for those who install it, but given the FUD here I can see no one here knows what they are talking about.
From the link to MS statement

To keep your children safer, we’ll automatically block these browsers on their devices. You can always choose to allow your child to use other browsers.
They will block and you have to go back in and unblock, if the system allows.
It’s only Windows family but who are they to decide what browser any member of my family can use. assuming they don’t decide to extend this later on

Exactly what is meant by “other browsers” Shammill, is it Firefox and Chrome or some other arbitrary browser that MS approves
I’m asking you because you are the self proclaimed expert

Do you really need to INSTALL a browser to run it?
Several “RESCUE” utilities include browsers at STARTUP, or are we considering these are children of limited intelligence and/or resources?

It’s not the kids’ fault that Edge sucks. All I care is that Microsoft isn’t remotely controlling my system. If that BS starts, I will just install Linux and never give another penny to Microsoft.

I would be tempted to install Qupzilla. It isn’t based on Firefox or Chrome/Chromium, so I’m guessing Microsoft wouldn’t think to block it, especially considering it’s lack of popularity. Or, you could probably download a portable version of Firefox without issue.[QUOTE=alan1476;2779772]But they didnt block Tor , thats quite a poor choice.[/QUOTE]Good to know. Thanks for telling us.[QUOTE=gonca;2779774]Isn’t Tor based on FireFox[/QUOTE]Technically, TOR is a computer network designed to anonymize internet traffic via encrypted data relays. Once you have a TOR client running, any app that supports SOCKS proxies can be set up to use it (except BitTorrent apps, and likely apps that use other peer-to-peer networks, such as Gnutella, or eDonkey). Of course, there is the TOR Browser Bundle, which indeed is based on Firefox. However, the TOR Browser Bundle isn’t by any means the only browser that can use TOR (although it’s probably the best).