Install CCD3 and CCD4 next to each other

vbimport

How do I install 2 different CloneCD versions next to each other? I want to use CloneCD 3.3.4.1 and CloneCD 4 beta 9, but when I install one of them, it uninstalls the other first...

Any tips?

:slight_smile:

It depends on the uninstaller used. If you multi-boot, you can install to that partition e.g. Win9x C\Program Files\elby… (Win2K) E\Program Files\elby… (XP) F\Program Files\elby…

You can also run a small batch file to rename directories so that they appear ‘hidden’ however, some of the installers find them.

Then you have the problem of the elbio driver in IO subsys…if it changes from the CCD version you were last using…interesting point, I’ll compile a list of the files used for each version, particulary those that appear in the log.

Thanx for the suggestion, I will give that a try! About the driver ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ I will rename it before I am going to use the appropriate CloneCD version… (or do you have a better suggestion?)

Ah… found a solution: just copy ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ to the CloneCD directory! After starting CloneCD it doesn’t complain it couldn’t find this driver, so I guess with this solution I can do what I want! (That is: test the differences between CCD3 and CCD4. I made an image of an audio-protected cd and somehow the number of entries in the .CCD files were different between the 2 versions…)

:smiley:

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]Thanx for the suggestion, I will give that a try! About the driver ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ I will rename it before I am going to use the appropriate CloneCD version… (or do you have a better suggestion?)

Ah… found a solution: just copy ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ to the CloneCD directory! After starting CloneCD it doesn’t complain it couldn’t find this driver, so I guess with this solution I can do what I want! (That is: test the differences between CCD3 and CCD4. I made an image of an audio-protected cd and somehow the number of entries in the .CCD files were different between the 2 versions…)

:smiley: [/B]

Bad news: CloneCD ignores ElbyCDIO.sys, if it hasn’t been properly installed. Moving it around calls for trouble and won’t work.
Good news: CCD3 works with CCD4 drivers. So here is what you do:

1.) Install CCD3
2.) Copy the CloneCD directory, name it CloneCD3. DO NOT RENAME IT!
3.) Install CCD4 BETA14

Ready!

Ah! Thanx for the information. I will give your solution a try. But… will the use of CCD4 ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ by CloneCD3 not affect the test I mentioned in my post?

[off-topic]
@Olli

Question: I am trying to understand what the deal is with the different audio copy-protections. Do you understand why a Plextor can read a copy-protected audio-cd, while a lot of other cd-readers can’t? What is different in the hardware of a Plextor compared to other readers? I thought it had something to do with the fact that Plextor readers are able to overread into lead-in/out, but I think this is only true for CDS100 and not CDS200 and Key2audio.
[/off-topic]

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]Ah! Thanx for the information. I will give your solution a try. But… will the use of CCD4 ‘ElbyCDIO.sys’ by CloneCD3 not affect the test I mentioned in my post?

[off-topic]
@Olli

Question: I am trying to understand what the deal is with the different audio copy-protections. Do you understand why a Plextor can read a copy-protected audio-cd, while a lot of other cd-readers can’t? What is different in the hardware of a Plextor compared to other readers? I thought it had something to do with the fact that Plextor readers are able to overread into lead-in/out, but I think this is only true for CDS100 and not CDS200 and Key2audio.
[/off-topic] [/B]

The newer drivers don’t make any difference. ElbyCDIO.sys and ElbyCDIO.vxd haven’t changed (they work very stable since CCD 3.3.4.1), except for the version number and the copyright string.

Reading protected Audio CDs is only a firmware issue, so let’s hope the other manufacturers can “do something”.