Install bootable Cd: error NTLDR missing

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba Satellite L100-130. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]When re-installing Windows XP, with recovery CD,
I get an error NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart."

Other methods: windows Me, windows 98, … all that gives th same error: NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart."

What to do ??

Do you have the boot order set correctly in the bios? You must let the computer look for a bootable disk in the cd/dvd drive first, before looking elsewhere, like the hard drive.

Your question 1: "Do you have the boot order set correctly in the bios"
I have set the bios to read the CD first.
Is this correct ?

Your question 2: “You must let the computer look for a bootable disk in the cd/dvd drive first”:
a) I have a CD : "recovery CD " by Toshiba: ERROR, the laptop can not read the CD
b) I have (old) Windows98: ERROR, the laptop can not read the CD
c) I have an (old) WindowsME-bootable CD: the laptop can not read the CD

what to do ?
thank you for your kind help

Make sure that everything is unplugged from your laptop
Your recovery disc might be bad or your system still might be trying to boot from an [I]unbootable[/I] source.

Are you able to enter the Recovery Console?

[I]>Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.

>When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

>Press the “R” key to repair Windows.

>Log into your Windows installation by selecting the appropriate installation…usually “1” key and pressing enter.

>You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

>Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example the CD-ROM drive letter is “d.” This letter may be different on your computer.

copy d:\i386
tldr c:
copy d:\i386
tdetect.com c:\

>Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.[/I]

seems your cd drive is in trouble
try with a live cd linux or xp live cd
else you will have to use usb drive and try

This the right remark… (1) CD-rom does not work properly: sometimes yes, sometimes not… (2) when CD does not work, as the s empty, I got this message… After 6 hours, I succeeded to restart the cd-rom with recovery-CD (from Toshiba), so far so good, but pc “hangs” all the time, I need to restart… when I do a CHKDSK, pc hangt at 4%. Now, I scan with “HDD recovery”… > 100 bad sectors… I takes > 24 hours to do a scan. (HD = 60 GB).
Yes, indeed, PC fell off the table to the ground… Hopefully I can revover this laptop, if not…

you are lucky your lcd still works
you can try pull out the cd combo drive and refit it.
it may solve the uncertain cd read.
i had to replace the drive itself when it started making noises of hunting the first track
dos repair of hard disk is not always good
you can just format with installer cd and reinstall fully
100 sectors going bad by falling down? no it does not look possible
if at all hdd is recognised by bios it can work well.
try reinstalling xp
probably your toshiba disk may be old type.