Inspiron 1501 with TSST TS-L632d

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve read through and tried plenty of ideas but am stuck.:a

I uninstalled Roxio on my laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_1B791FDD8FD0473EA268BE881319EBC5&isLegacy=true

In hindsight I think I should have used this link but didn’t know and the drive was in My Computer but not working.

I did flash the firm using TSDNWIN I think ( awhile ago). And the drive became not recognizable in BIOS, (No ATAPI DRIVE). I guess bad flash and bad luck.

I have been trying to boot into Dos from XP with a flash drive but I don’t think this Dell will do it. ( tried many many steps including HP flash tool).

The flash tools do not recognize the drive fom XP or safe mode. runnig -nocheck param still results in flash fail.

Any Suggestions Please???:confused:

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Slmz00;2567174]
(…)
I did flash the firm using TSDNWIN I think ( awhile ago). And the drive became not recognizable in BIOS, (No ATAPI DRIVE). I guess bad flash and bad luck.[/quote]What firmware did you attempt to flash? Was this a firmware update from Dell for your laptop drive, or was this something else?

I have been trying to boot into Dos from XP with a flash drive but I don’t think this Dell will do it. ( tried many many steps including HP flash tool).
Check your Bios setup (or press F12 after powering up) to see if there is a USB boot option.

Any Suggestions Please???:confused:
Flashing in plain DOS using TSDNDOS seems to be the only option (see the HOWTO flash article in my signature). But at first you need to get your laptop ready to boot from an USB flash drive.

Michael

Hi Mciahel,

Thank you for the quick reply!

The original firmware I flashed to was povided by support.dell by inputting my Service code, the only file on my computer that might be is DE04.bin. In hindsight I trusted Dell a little too much by not paying very close attention and will never again.

I have seen newer BIOSes and they have a boot to USB option. In my BIOS under BOOT, I have cdrom, hdd, broadcom, removable devices. When I restart with my USB plugged in, it shows up as “system3 USB” in the hdd section in boot. I can disable the main hdd by pressing “shift & 1” but it still says “no operating system” and stays there.

I kinda thought the usb would show up under removable devices but it just lists as a HDD. I have an external USB 1TB that also shows up in that HDD list but I have it disconnected while rebooting to avoid confusion.

[B]Bricked TSST TS-L632D from Dell Inspiron 1520[/B]

This thread is almost same problem. I think I used the H firmware too because Dell recommends it automatically.

I Love Dell:bigsmile:

Hi,[QUOTE=Slmz00;2567388]Thank you for the quick reply![/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

The original firmware I flashed to was povided by support.dell by inputting my Service code, the only file on my computer that might be is DE04.bin. In hindsight I trusted Dell a little too much by not paying very close attention and will never again.
DE04 is firmware for TS-L632D. This should be the correct one.

I have seen newer BIOSes and they have a boot to USB option. In my BIOS under BOOT, I have cdrom, hdd, broadcom, removable devices. When I restart with my USB plugged in, it shows up as “system3 USB” in the hdd section in boot. I can disable the main hdd by pressing “shift & 1” but it still says “no operating system” and stays there.

There might be several reasons:

[ol][li]Your Dell is not able to boot from USB devices (what happens if you press F2 for the “one time boot menu”?) - according to the manual, it should be able to boot from USB storage devices.
[/li][li]Your USB stick is not bootable (then try another one if you have one, smaller sizes are preferred)
[/li][li]Something went wrong when you prepared the stick - Try Dell’s Diagnostic Tool to create a bootable USB stick. At least this should rule out this point.[/ol]
[/li]

[QUOTE=Slmz00;2567389][B]Bricked TSST TS-L632D from Dell Inspiron 1520[/B]
This thread is almost same problem. I think I used the H firmware too because Dell recommends it automatically.
[/QUOTE]Very unlikely since TSST flashers check the hardware before (unless you have used the -nocheck parameter :eek: )

Michael

OK,

Getting serious…:cool:

I’ve included photos of BIOS to show I’m not crazy.
Manual says F2 one-time boot(its F12). F2 is BIOS. DEL does nothing.

I used the Dell utility. Dug in an old box and found an old UT161 256mb flash drive( which I remember was bootable) no luck.

Very unlikely since TSST flashers check the hardware before (unless you have used the -nocheck parameter :eek: )

I just learned about this command recently through my extensive reading on the subject.

Dell must have an alternative route?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,[QUOTE=Slmz00;2567435]

I’ve included photos of BIOS to show I’m not crazy.
Manual says F2 one-time boot(its F12). F2 is BIOS. DEL does nothing. [/quote]Okay. I admit, the F2 statements in the manual were somewhat confusing. F12 is used on my Vostro 1500 for the one-time-boot stuff also.

I used the Dell utility. Dug in an old box and found an old UT161 256mb flash drive( which I remember was bootable) no luck.

Weird.

Dell must have an alternative route?
I doubt this since at least for the TS-L632H firmwares the normal TSST flasher has been included.

The only idea i have now is to buy (or borrow) a slim-to-IDE adapter and connect the drive to a desktop computer to flash it there.

Other thoughts: the drive went bad coincindentially after the firmware update. Or it simply has to be reseated.
:confused:

Michael

I really appreciate the feedback. :clap:

Other thoughts: the drive went bad coincindentially after the firmware update. Or it simply has to be reseated.

I deleted Roxio which started this. According to the first link I put up, I should have run the MS fix-it to reset the limits of the drive. It was listed in Device manager and My computer but was not accessible with any dvd or cd I put in it. I have pulled the drive out at least 5 times to re-affirm the model and check the seat. I can hear the drive intialize on every reboot.

I will try to locate the IDE cable you’re referring to and use a desktop. I did test the boot flash drive in a netbook and it worked. Dell is leaving me hanging on their support page and they want $50 + shipping for a new drive. I will not buy a new drive for an aging laptop.

Thanks again and great site!:smiley:

Jim

[QUOTE=Slmz00;2567577]
I will try to locate the IDE cable you’re referring to [/quote]Roughly 10 USD + shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200664&cm_re=ide_slim_adapter--12-200-664--Product

I did test the boot flash drive in a netbook and it worked.
Okay. Latest Bios is applied on your laptop?

Dell is leaving me hanging on their support page and they want $50 + shipping for a new drive. I will not buy a new drive for an aging laptop.

50 USD for “spare part” from Dell is not too bad. I have seen ~200 USD for “Acer spare part” DVD writers.
Indeed, I wouldn’t spend much money either. Perhaps you can get a used drive in good condition via ébay or similar.

Michael