Insecure Internet Explorer 6 market share finally drops below 1%

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Insecure Internet Explorer 6 market share finally drops below 1%[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/12/myce-internet-explorer-6-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The market share of Internet Explorer has finally dropped below 1% according to NetMarketShare. The drop relates to the amount of Windows XP users that have switched to another operating system.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/insecure-internet-explorer-6-market-share-finally-drops-below-1-73661/](http://www.myce.com/news/insecure-internet-explorer-6-market-share-finally-drops-below-1-73661/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m partly posting in the Home news section to test it.
I’m using Opera beta 26 for my browser .
Vista as my OS .
To stay in line with the topic.
I have XP Pro SP3 also installed on this desktop.
It has a version of Opera but I’m sure it is a bit older.
I will boot into this OS later & do some updates on Opera if possible & my security programs & see how it does.

Firefox for the Win (OS pun intended)! When it comes to browsers, Firefox is as modern as it can get. It also has an impressive stockpile of extensions, which can add greater features and security.

PS: if you can see this, posting in news section works… and you don’t need glasses.

I remember when I was all about IE6 with SP1, but that seems like it was ages ago. To imagine that it took this long for a browser of that age to finally be retired is mind-boggling. But glad things are finally advancing past the year 2002.

[& yep, comments on the articles are working fine, if you see this. :)]

I used to maintain IE6 and unpatched Win XP on my laptop because without one of the thousands of patches I could remove DRM from Windows Media audio files. Seems like no one is using WMA anymore and the laptop is long gone…

But even if you were still using windows XP, internet explorer would have been upgraded to IE10 …
Unless … it’s a pirate version and you can’t activate the copy so it will download/install the updates …
… Just saying.

I kept it away from updates. And it has long since gone to that great ‘Bit Bucket’ in the sky…:sad:

I still remember browsing in the days of Internet Explorer 3 and Netscape Navigator 3.

With Windows 95, Internet Explorer 4 upgraded the Windows explorer interface providing similar functionality that was standard in Windows 98.

One problem I do remember was that when I installed a clean Windows 95 installation, I had to install Internet Explorer 4 before Internet Explorer 5, as Internet Explorer 5 did not provide the Windows Explorer enhancements which otherwise would still be present when upgrading from Internet Explorer 4 to 5.

I’m glad I did not write HTML/CSS in those days as it was the earlier versions of Internet Explorer up to 7 that were a real pain to get webpages looking right as those earlier browsers did not follow the standards as well as the rivals. Even Internet Explorer 8 causes problems for some designers that still cater for Windows XP users as it’s the only browser many users still regularly use that lacks support for HTML5 or CSS3.

[QUOTE=Seán;2742286]I still remember browsing in the days of Internet Explorer 3 and [B]Netscape Navigator[/B] 3.[/QUOTE]

That was a browser! 👍

I’m using my XP Pro OS right now for posting this.
It has IE 8 but the browser I’m using is Opera 26 stable.
I’ve had IE8 on it for a long time.

I don’t think I ever ran an unpatched XP like olyteddy posted he did.

@ debro to the best of my knowledge IE 8 is the latest version that will run on XP or XP Pro.

Until the end of 2012(?), IE6 was being used by every Formula 1 team. You could see it on the ‘prat perch’ (pit wall) screens, showing the weather information.

Météo-France had done the unforgivable and written their weather system to only work with IE6. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=debro;2742256]But even if you were still using windows XP, internet explorer would have been upgraded to IE10 …

Unless … it’s a pirate version and you can’t activate the copy so it will download/install the updates …

… Just saying.[/QUOTE]
IE8 is the final version to support XP (and IIRC can be installed without all that WGA nonsense).