Insane number of C1 errors found by Kprobe. Please read

I am extremely pissed now.

I used my ol LiteOn2410B writer to do these tests, but I didnt burn on this writer… I used some fucking LG crap which I thought was better.

Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk.

I did various tests on Princo CDs which were burnt using that LG burner… and I got insane average of 40+ C1 errors on same CDs and a few CDs even gave me 100+ average on C1 errors.

Yes, I know. Thats fucking horrible. However, surprisngly I was able to copy all the data on these CDs to my harddrive… without any problem whatsoever.

now my question is… inspite of these insane error rates, why was I able to copy the data successflly? Shouldnt my discs be unreadble?

Also, I read a Media FAQ that quotes “Again I wish to stress that you are not just checking the “quality” of a disc, but also the ability of the drive to read the disc, and the ability of the drive to report those errors.”

Now, since my LiteOn drive is very old, is it possible that these error rates are due to the drive’s age rather than the disc’s quality?

Assuming the problem is with the discs:
What should I do?
Inspite of the errors, the discs read fine… is it possible that these errors will “spread” and scavage the disc over time?
What level/quantity of errors make a disc unreadbale afterall?

PS:
Inspite of all this tech talk about C1/C2 errors… at the end of the day, what matters is that the discs are readable right? So, why all the fuss?

read the FAQs more thoroughly. they specifically say that a high C1 rate doesn’t adversely affect the readability of the disc. C1 errors are correctable errors, while C2 are the ones to worry about in terms of readability.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
read the FAQs more thoroughly. they specifically say that a high C1 rate doesn’t adversely affect the readability of the disc. C1 errors are correctable errors, while C2 are the ones to worry about in terms of readability.

hmm, yes I know. But the FAQ considers “high” to be something around 20+ average… I am getting erroors in the hundreds!

I can show you discs with C1 max around 1000 that still read just fine. But as always, lower is better.

Originally posted by GizmoC

Now, since my LiteOn drive is very old, is it possible that these error rates are due to the drive’s age rather than the disc’s quality?

You can scan a pressed disc and see how it works.

PS:
Inspite of all this tech talk about C1/C2 errors… at the end of the day, what matters is that the discs are readable right? So, why all the fuss?

Exactly!! That is your bottom line.